Who is online?
In total there are 14 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 111 on Thu 12 Dec 2013, 2:28 am
Latest topics
» Ps 10-25
Today at 3:42 pm by clark thompson

» R.D SOUZA Saved by faith
Today at 1:48 pm by Admin

» HEAVEN LETTERS
Today at 1:43 pm by Admin

» Daily Disciples
Today at 1:42 pm by Admin

» BREAKING: CIA Assassination Plot Found in JFKennedy Files
Yesterday at 10:43 pm by Admin

» ABOUT BENGHAZI
Yesterday at 10:41 pm by Admin

» Delrifkah: HEBREW SAGE MIGHT SAY.
Yesterday at 10:11 pm by Admin

» ISRAEL BREAKING NEWS
Yesterday at 9:58 pm by Admin

» THE CLARION PROJECT
Yesterday at 8:55 pm by Admin

» BREITBART NEWS
Yesterday at 7:52 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Yesterday at 7:47 pm by Admin

» ENDTIME HEADLINES
Yesterday at 5:06 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Yesterday at 3:54 pm by Admin

» Meditation Chip Brogden
Yesterday at 3:41 pm by Admin

» WORTHY NEWS
Yesterday at 3:01 pm by Admin

» WORLD ISRAEL NEWS
Yesterday at 1:14 am by Admin

» German police arrest Syrian refugees planning Christmas terror attack
Yesterday at 12:43 am by Admin

» ISIS calls for the assassination of Barron Trump
Yesterday at 12:31 am by Admin

» BEXIT EU Secret document FCO 30/1048 kept truth about EU from British for 30 years
Yesterday at 12:19 am by Admin

»  POPE FRANCIS
Yesterday at 12:00 am by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 40 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin on Sat 19 Jun 2010, 12:24 pm

Today's Devotional:
NEVER GIVE UP
"For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God." (1 John 5:4,5)
The secret to becoming an over comer is not deep philosophical doctrine or hidden gems for only theologians to uncover. It is plain to understand that all it takes is to believe that Jesus is the Son of God. This simple and profound belief in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ places us among the ranks of those whose names echo through the hallways of heaven as ‘the ones who have overcome.’
The meaning of the word ‘overcome’ according to the Rostrum Study dictionary means to ‘fight successfully against defeat’ To prove one is an over comer, one has to be presented with a fight/battle. The success of this battle crowns us with the victory of overcoming. All sons and daughters of God are over comers. Success against defeat belongs to the kingdom of God and its citizens. A child of God who continues to call upon the name of the Lord will prevail against every weapon of warfare designed against them and triumph over it.
Keys to overcome: -
a) Fix your Gaze
Focus on the plans of God and this will grant you a vision of advancement. Joseph was an anticipator. Distractions did not cloud his vision and his will did not prevail over God’s will. His vision of advancement saw him through the disappointments, through the storms and through his valleys. He did not let go of God during difficult days. Without his vision, he would have perished. A fixed gaze will set your sights beyond the present, pass the hurdles and over the limitations. Holding onto the vision of God in your life will keep you from perishing.
B) Catch the Revelation
God does not reveal himself to everyone. Simon Peter believed and confessed it openly that Jesus is the Christ. He used his natural eyes to see the supernatural truth. Catch the revelation Peter had and the gates of hell shall not prevail against you.
C) Keep your mind made up
Kill doubt at all times. God is able and he will not go back on his word. He is not man that he would lie to you. Yes and amen to his promises for your life keeps you in agreement with the power of God. Do not fear the arm of flesh, as God’s hand is never to short that he cannot reach out and save you. The hand of God in biblical times always refers to the power and presence of God. Renew your mind daily with the mind of Christ and you will soar above all the circumstances in your life. Jesus overcame the world by conquering it for us and depriving it of its power to harm us. He went ahead and did the work. We are called to make up our minds that Jesus has conquered it all for us and victory will always be our banner. Do not be as shifting shadows but possess an immovable, unwavering, undivided mind that believes Jesus overcame and so will you.
Never give up your identity in Jesus when your role in life changes.
Never give up your confidence in Jesus when your boat is being rocked
Never give up your personal testimonies in Jesus when the reports are looking bleak
Never give up your hope in Jesus when clouds gather and storms brew.
Never give up your trust in Jesus when all seems lost.
Never give up your stand in Jesus when your foundation is being shaken.
Never give up. Every child of God is destined to win, conquer and overcome
Prayer Thought
I believe Lord Jesus that you are the Son of God. I belong to you and I know that I will not be overcome by the world but I will overcome the world in your name alone as my victory is already established successfully against defeat. Help me to never give up in the name of Jesus. Amen

by Hazel Moodley
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://worldwidechristians.6forum.info

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 16 Jun 2010, 12:07 pm

Today's Devotional:
SUMMER LIGHT SHOW
"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matt 5:14-16 NIV)
It is going to feel like Christmas in July in the field behind my home for the next few weeks. My backyard buddies, the fireflies have finally returned to put on another Summer light show every evening for all of us to enjoy. It is such a delight seeing their little, golden lights blinking on and off just like the lights on a Christmas tree. It brings me such joy watching my whole backyard and the woods around it twinkle like it is Christmastime while the warm, summer breezes tickle my face. It reminds me that anytime of the year can feel like Christmas if you have love in your heart and light in your soul.
Still, there are times I feel a bit sorry for my firefly friends. They shine for only a brief time each Summer and their lights while beautiful last only a moment before fading again. In fact, I sometimes feel like a firefly myself. I try my best to shine long and bright with love, joy, and oneness with God, but it seems at times the most I can do is flicker. I am working hard, though, to leave my light on a bit longer each time and trying my best to make my moments of darkness less and less. I am asking God to help me everyday too and hope to one day shine more like a star and less like a blinker.
I hope that you are doing your best as well to shine bright and leave your light on in this life. I pray too that if you can’t keep your light on all the time then you are at least blinking as much light, love, joy, kindness, goodness, peace, happiness, helpfulness, laughter, and caring as you can. Perhaps one day all of us will shine together and with God’s help will create a summer light show that never ends. Perhaps we will not just help make everyday feel more like Christmas, but make everyday be Christmas. Perhaps one day we all will work together to help the fireflies chase the darkness away forever.
By: Joseph J. Mazzella
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 11 Jun 2010, 9:24 am

Today's Devotional:
MIRACLE WORKERS
"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another — and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Heb 10:24-25 NIV)

This world is full of miracles from the rising of the sun at dawn, to the first flower in the Spring, to the colors of the leaves in the Fall. The miracles that touch my heart the most, though, are the tiny ones. These are the ones that go unnoticed by most people, but they are the ones that make life worth living.
One of the best of these tiny miracles is preformed by a local miracle worker everyday. Her job in this world is ringing up and bagging groceries, but her job from Heaven is bringing a little more joy to each heart she meets. I saw her hard at work just today. It had been a rainy morning with cold air and gray skies. Everyone who walked into the grocery store had a shiver in their walk and a frown on their face. I was no exception to this either. It had been a long, hard Winter and I felt tired as I bought extra bread and bananas to get me through the next coming storm. As I got to the check out line, however, the miracle worker went to work. She greeted me with a warmth that went straight to my heart. Her kind smile caused one to appear on my own face as well. Her shining, compassionate eyes reminded me once again that this is God’s world and that it is full of loving souls like her. We chatted briefly as I paid for my food. As I left she told me to enjoy the day and I promised that I would. As I was walking out the store she was already uplifting the spirit of the next person in line. It occurred to me too that in all the years I had shopped there I had never once seen someone leave her counter without a smile on their face.
I thank God for that miracle worker and all the miracle workers of this world. The truth is we all can become miracle workers if we choose. We all can lend our strength, talents, hearts, and souls to making this world a better place. We all can bring a little Heaven down to Earth with our joy, laughter, and smiles. And we all can share the miracle of God’s love every single day.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 09 Jun 2010, 11:26 am

NUGGET
Today's Devotional:
IS YOUR FACE THERE IN GOD'S FACEBOOK?
Linked in…Tweeter…Facebook…Orkut… now these are the names of social networking portals which figure high in the lingo of the modern day iPod generation youth. Is not social networking the order of the day? Very much!
Has it ever occurred to you that if you are “linked-in” with the Creator, you are creating endless possibilities for yourself? The Bible has enough examples to authenticate the fact that the good Lord has networks in places deemed impossible for man to establish a network therein. Acknowledging that this physical world can be divided into three realms…the sea, the sky and the sod (land) let us look at some Biblical examples of stunning networks at work in each of these realms.
The Sea
A disobedient prophet has been cast into a raging sea. His swimming skills cannot help him at a time, he is being tossed about like a leaf in the wind, and even if the waves calm down, being miles away from the seashore, he cannot hope to make it all the way to the land by swimming alone. What does he do? He cries out in desperation to the good Lord and lo and behold at the Lord’s command, a whale emerges from the deep and swallows the drowning prophet saving him from death. Welcome to the Jonah story…welcome once again to that incredible story of an incredible God at work…even using a whale in His scheme of things. It doesn’t stop there. The great fish resisting all the temptation to “digest” the prophet, gives him a free “submarine” ride all the way to the shore (Jonah 1,2, 3:1-3). Were Jonah and the great whale by any chance friends before, courtesy any social networking portal? You see, if you are networked with the good Lord, you would have a network working for you even in the depths of a deep blue sea!
The Sky
A Prophet had announced a curse of famine upon an idolatrous land and had gone hiding. Hunger stalked the land but this Prophet lodging beside a cool brook was not going to be deprived. Ravens (hey, ravens are very greedy birds by nature so much so, they do not even share food with their own kind) now supernaturally transformed, brought the daily rations to the Prophet on dot. Boy, were they not carrying meat and bread in their beak, not far from their salivating taste buds? These birds under Heavenly orders were not going to be tempted while being in the midst of their Divine mission. Though starvation gripped the land, Prophet Elijah thanks to his network with the feathery friends of the sky never experienced any hunger pangs till the good Lord established yet another “network” for him (I Kings 17:1-9). An unknown “foreign” widow would now provide for him!
The Sod
We have heard of a saying that every cat is a tiger in its own alley, meaning it derives extra strength cum courage from its familiar domain. But ever heard of “big cats” becoming as harmless as domestic cats “in their own alley” (read den)? Welcome to the Daniel in Lion’s den account once again. There they were…ferocious hungry lions but sitting as tame cats beside Daniel in their den (Daniel 6:1-21) one evening, when this innocent Prophet was thrown in amongst them. Now who forged “friendship” between these two unlikely co-habitants of the den? No prizes for guessing! Oh yes, then what about those who conspired against Daniel and intended that he become the “dinner” (he was thrown amongst the lions in the evening time), well… they unwittingly became “the breakfast” for these starving carnivores the next morning (Daniel 6:24)! Reason? They had dared to mess-up with a guy who was a part of the Divine network!
So far the examples were revolving around the animal world right? Now let me introduce to you an unlikely ophthalmologist treating a blind (blinded by an oh –so-bright vision) persecutor turned apostle. Now “Doctor” Ananias (a devout Christian residing in Damascus) and blind Saul -before his baptism-did not know each other but the good Lord established the requisite network which resulted in miraculous restoration of eyesight of the latter (Acts 9:1-21).
Dear friends, Jesus is same yesterday, today & forever (Hebrews 13:8). Oh how many personal experiences I have had and oh how many true accounts I have heard from God’s servants of the Almighty establishing "networks" to help them in their time of need. By the way, is your face there in God’s “Facebook”? If so, say “HALLELUJAH”, otherwise get “linked-in” (Romans 10:8-10) to the Redeemer without any further delay!
Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 04 Jun 2010, 11:01 am

NUGGET
Today's Devotional:
GOOD TIMING
They were at a star graze and you can be forgiven for asking “A what?” The name suggests a heavenly feeding frenzy of stars but let me try to explain.
We see the moon as a smooth, round sixpence but if you look through a telescope you see mountain peaks sticking up past the edges. A star graze occurs when the moon passes in front of a bright star and the star disappears and reappears from behind the peaks. The idea was to perfectly time each appearance and disappearance to help give an exact profile of the moon.
Some thirty observers with telescopes spread out over several kilometres to watch the star, Spica, graze the mountains of the moon. They had short wave radios to pick up precise time signals and they spoke what they saw into tape recorders so that their observations were accurately timed by the time pips in the background.
The weather was dismal. At the pivotal moment there was nothing but cloud and God did not come into the equation except for one man. He thought, ‘I believe in God so I’ll ask Him to help,’ and he made a silent prayer.
Just as Spica was about to begin its graze, the sky broke and stayed clear for the few minutes needed for the observations. Then the sky closed over again.
At the end of the exercise only about ten had seen the graze. They played their recorders back for everyone to hear all that had taken place. There was some amusement and jesting as the recordings finished and a lone voice came through the speakers, “Thank you, Father.”
And out through the distant stars I think I heard the lonely echo, ‘But where are the other nine?’ Luke 17:17.
Let’s thank Him for our today.
‘Thank you, Father.’
Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 9:48 am

Today's Devotional:
THE BLANK
"Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; 10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine." (Prov 3:9-10 NIV)
There are many phrases associated with the word “blank”, such a drawing a blank, fill in the blank, or giving someone a blank stare. The other day I even managed to e-mail a blank!!
I had cut out an article to send to a friend. I addressed the mail, filled in the topic space and proceeded to press the send button. In my scurry to get it sent in a hurry, I completely forgot to paste my article in the blank space provided, therefore sending “a blank”.
I wondered if sometimes I live a blank- sending empty messages to loved ones and friends. Does my life reflect my love for God, and my certainty of His love for me? Do I allow the Holy Spirit to use me where I am needed in the body of Christ, and do I always remember to give the glory to Him? Do I share my praises with others, or just keep them to myself? When you draw a blank - nothing happens. Could the same can be true with a spiritual blank? You can just be… “ blah!” … with nothing happening .
When we receive from God, we are called to share - whether it is serving others, praying for them, singing in the choir, helping the poor and homeless or just even sharing our joy and thanks for the gifts of love, good health, friendships, and experiences with our living Lord.
Lord, I want my life to reflect your love in a special manner. I pray I will not exhibit a spiritual “blank”, but will truly allow myself to be an open vessel for you - ready to be poured out and spilled to overflowing with the love you have planted in my heart.
How about you? What is your life in Christ exhibiting?

Marion Smith
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 28 May 2010, 4:30 pm

Today's Devotional:
OF JUSTIFY AND TESTIFY
Dear Friends,
Permit me to make you play the game “spot the differences”. Can you find differences in the seemingly identical 2 paragraphs below?
I am Suresh Manoharan a sinner saved by the Almighty’s grace and living by His grace for the last 27 years. Even though I never cared for Him in the first 16 years of my life, at the right time He saved me from the clutches of sin. By my faith on His beloved Son –Jesus- He justified me. From then on began my Christian walk.
I am Suresh Manoharan a sinner saved by the Almighty’s grace and living by His grace for the last 27 years. Even though I never cared for Him in the first 16 years of my life,
at the right time He saved me from the clutches of sin. By my faith on His beloved Son–
Jesus- He justified me. From then on began my Christian walk.
For the answer, you only have to observe the uniformity of spacing in the second paragraph and . So what then made the difference to create such a difference? I had typed the second paragraph, too, just as I did the first but this time around…Then I blocked the said paragraph and applied the JUSTIFY command and lo and behold THE IMPERFECT FIRST PARARAPH TRANSFORMED ITSELF INTO A PERFECT ONE!
Dear readers, your life too, ruined by wrong choices may be imperfect and not in alignment with His will. Be encouraged, like my life 27 years ago, yours too can be JUSTIFIED through faith in Christ Jesus. Yes, in a blinking of an eye your priorities can be brought in alignment with His priorities. If a computer can “justify” an imperfect sentence and transform it into a perfect one, cannot the Almighty God do the same, when you place your trust in His redemption plan revolving around Christ Jesus? Trust me, you would experience the heavenly joy welling up and flowing from the bottom of your heart...all in the matter of seconds. Difficult to describe in words one has to personally undergo this ethereal experience!
“Therefore, since we have been JUSTIFIED through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,” – Romans 5:1
"But what does it say? 'The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,' that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,
and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are JUSTIFIED, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved" (Romans 10:8-10)
After you go through this “JUSTIFY” experience, you would only be too eager to “TESTIFY” about the same with one and all, in order they too have the same Blessed transforming experience. Meanwhile, shall we “MAGNIFY” HIM?

HALLELUJAH!
Yours, too eager to CLARIFY any doubts about the JUSTIFY experience,
Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 21 May 2010, 8:46 pm

Today's Devotional:
CRIMINAL GOES FREE
The death penalty operated for certain crimes under the law of Moses. No reprieves, no mitigating circumstances, no getting off because of a past good record. You break, you pay, and saying sorry did not.
God has not changed. God never changes, "with him there is no variation, no play of passing shadows,’ James 1:17
So all my best does not get me off for good behaviour. On the scale of eternity, I am still under the penalty of death.
Unless the lawgiver himself acquits, his law must stand. And Luke says he acquits. He has not changed the criteria, he simply sent someone else to take my place under the death penalty. The death penalty still operated, but not on me.
And I can’t believe it even though I am told it is true. I just can’t believe it, it is too good to be true.
The only thing it requires to move it into operation is that I come face to face with the reality of God, and the reality of God is that he appointed a substitute for me.
If I will just feebly grasp that Jesus was for real and that he justifies the ungodly, I have it all: Perfect forgiveness, perfect peace.
It is that easy.
I have the same criminal record as a lot of other people I meet. I am weak, pathetic, unlovely, not at all like God, and most of my heart, mind, soul and strength is directed everywhere but at God. Nobody would ever recommend me for pardon but there it is, I am acquitted of everything for which there was no acquittal under divine law.
‘There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,’ Romans 8:1
‘It is through him that everyone who has faith is acquitted of everything for which there was no acquittal under the law of Moses.’ Acts 13:39.
In acquitting me, God does not break his own law, he puts all the guilt and punishment on the substitute, and he whispers to me in the depths of my despair, "You’re free.”
Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 14 May 2010, 10:12 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD WAS THERE!
“For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.” Psalm 91:10-12
I remember a picture that made a lasting impression on me when I was a child - a picture of a little girl walking near the edge of a deep canyon and the guarding angel walking between the child and certain death.
Sometimes I wonder how often my angel keeps me from danger through out my day as I go about my activities. When my car overheats and keeps me from going wherever I had planned – is that my angel keeping me from harm? When the weather prevents me from going out – Is that a God thing? I wonder - is it just an annoyance or is God protecting me from harm?
Recently, I had definite proof that God sends his angels to keep his children from harm. There is a crawl space under my little townhouse, which is accessible through a heavy steel door, which also serves as the floor for my entryway closet. This space is about 5’ high and is large and roomy enough to use as an extra sleeping space so when I had company over Christmas the door was left open so those sleeping downstairs could come and go. Well, my company left but the door didn’t get closed. It is too heavy for me to manage and besides it was behind a closed closet door so not to worry --- until one day when I was tidying up my house and wanted to put something on the shelf in that closet. I have to use a walker to motivate so I parked my walker and my foot just inside the closet and reached to the shelf. I wasn’t quite close enough so I pulled back to reposition myself closer to the shelf. In the process I thought I heard something drop so I looked to see what it was and that was when I noticed this gaping hole only an inch from my foot and walker legs. Another shuffle and I would have been down that hole – no doubt ending life, as I now know it. Whew! I KNOW my guarding angel was there on that inch between me and sudden destruction. Praise God! Each day I ask God to send his angels to protect me and I know that he does that each day but THAT time? – I KNOW I was definitely saved from harm.
"The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them." Psalm 34:6-8
Wynona Gordon
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 14 May 2010, 10:09 pm

UPPER ROOM
Prayer Champion

Suggested Bible Reading
In you, O LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me and save me. Be to me a rock of refuge, a strong fortress, to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the unjust and cruel. For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth. Upon you I have leaned from my birth; it was you who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of you. I have been like a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge. My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all day long. Do not cast me off in the time of old age; do not forsake me when my strength is spent. For my enemies speak concerning me, and those who watch for my life consult together. They say, "Pursue and seize that person whom God has forsaken, for there is no one to deliver." O God, do not be far from me; O my God, make haste to help me! Let my accusers be put to shame and consumed; let those who seek to hurt me be covered with scorn and disgrace. But I will hope continually, and will praise you yet more and more.
-Psalm 71:1-14 (NRSV)

Today's Scripture
O God, do not be far from me; O my God, make haste to help me!-Psalm 71:12(NRSV)

MY grandmother was a champion at praying. She could pray for 20 minutes without taking a breath, and she seasoned her prayers liberally with unfamiliar-sounding words from the King James Bible. Her prayers were intimidating in scope, scale, and content. However, when she suffered a series of strokes, her prayers became simple and direct. I held her hand in the hospital as she whispered, simply, "O God, help me; O Jesus, comfort me."

Like my grandmother, the psalmists model both eloquent praying and how to cut through fancy language to the heart of the matter. In the midst of lofty verses in the psalms, we often find the song of the heart: "Save me," "Rescue me," "Hear me," "Do not forsake me." God is the source of salvation, protection, comfort, and victory in times of great need.

Psalm 71 shows us how Jesus might have prayed in his last week, knowing the great trials he would endure and finding solace and comfort in God's great power and grace. Jesus needed to feel God's presence and guiding hand that week in Jerusalem. (See Luke 19-23.) And when we struggle in uncertainty or pain, we can remember that for us as for Jesus, God is still "a rock of refuge, a strong fortress."
Dan R. Dick (Wisconsin, USA)
Prayer
O Lord, be our refuge when the pressures and demands of life grow too great. Receive us, rescue us, and restore we, that we may share your praise and good news. Amen.
Thought for the Day

We are welcomed to say to God whatever is in our heart.

Prayer Focus
Those who taught me to pray

Related Reading
Teach Me to Pray
Published for over 40 years, TEACH ME TO PRAY is a modern day spiritual classic that offers all the essentials needed to build a strong and intimate relationship with God through prayer. Now with a new cover and updated language, W. E. Sangster's little book helps Christians develop a practice of prayer, form a prayer group, and learn how to live in Christ. Learn more about or purchase this book.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 09 May 2010, 9:50 am

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GARDEN TRUST
We sat on the verandah for morning tea and my husband reminisced on his ramblings through our garden. He said he often comes across interesting natural phenomena.

Especially so in springtime, he said. It may be a swarm of bees resting after leaving a hive, or a corkscrew grass seed springing to action. Rains stand the seeds on their sharp end and with a corkscrew action, they twist themselves into the ground.
He said, ‘These ramblings remind me of a job I was working on many years ago, repairing a residence. In a peach tree there was a Wagtail’s nest. The young had already hatched and in time they filled the nest and their heads were over the side, keeping an eye on us.
Because I brought our building materials past them each day, the birds accepted me as part of their environment.
I stopped one morning for a closer look. I was at arm’s length and the mother bird sat on the nest to cover her young.
At that time of the year the flies were abundant and I could catch them easily. I caught one and offered it to the sitting bird.
As I moved my hand in closer, she stretched out to take it and she followed by taking another and another.
Daily, the mother bird trusted me not to harm her or her family.
Isn’t that what we do daily? We eat good food, breathe fresh air and drink clean water, always trusting God and feeling good in His presence. And we thank Him for supplying our needs.
Our trust in God overcomes our fear of Him just as the little bird’s trust overcame her fear of me.
“In the morning let me know of your love, for I put my trust in you.” Psalm 143:8
Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 30 Apr 2010, 4:40 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD’S SWEETENER
“Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.” (Proverbs 16:24 KJV)

I love strawberries. Once I bought some and put them in the refrigerator to get cold. The next morning when I started to eat them, they didn’t taste right. I had forgotten to put sugar on them to sweeten them and they didn’t taste very good. It reminded me of the condition of our hearts before Jesus sweetens them.
Until Jesus, who is God’s sweetener, removes the bitterness, the resentment, the unforgiveness and the criticism from our hearts, we hurt our families, our friends and all those around us. These rotten attitudes stink in the nostrils of Jesus. Only Jesus can remove these rotten attitudes and sweeten our hearts so that people will know that we are Christians.
Peter Scholtes wrote a beautiful song “They’ll Know We Are Christians by Our Love”. Do people know that we are Christians by the things we say and do? Are we making Jesus happy or are we hurting Him and making Him sad by the things we say and do? Remember, when we hurt people we are also hurting Jesus. It’s time that we stop hurting our precious Saviour!
What about your family? Does your family know that you are a Christian by the kind words you say to them and the kind things you do for them? Are you constantly finding fault with things they do or do you look for ways to encourage them? Have you allowed Jesus to sweeten your heart so that your family, your friends and everyone you meet know that you are a Christian? What condition is your heart in today? Is it filled with bitterness or is it filled with the sweetness of the love of Jesus?
Joanne Lowe
June 18, 2009
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 6:56 pm

Today's Devotional:
A NEW BEGINNING
“As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.” (Psalm 103:12 KJV)
Someone reminded me of a bad decision I made a few years ago. For a few minutes, satan tried to discourage me and then God brought our Scripture verse to my mind. This is why it is so important that we hide the Word of God in our hearts. When we repent of our sins and ask God to forgive us and the blood of Jesus Christ is applied to our hearts for the forgiveness of our sins, we have been forgiven.
We have a new life and a new beginning and when we say to God “Remember what I did several years ago?” He will say to us “I don’t know what you’re talking about because I don’t remember that.” Does this mean that God has a bad memory? Of course not, it means that He makes a choice to forgive and forget and never hold it against us again.
May God help us to love others as He loves us. We also need to make the choice to forgive people and then forget about it and never hold it against them again. However, many times we harbor unforgiveness, resentment and bitterness in our hearts instead of letting it go. I am so glad to know that when I fail God, and I do fail Him just like you do, He forgives me and forgets it.
Don’t let people put you under guilt because of something you did in the past. If you asked God to forgive you, let it go. It is important, however, that occasionally we think about our past just to remind us how far He has brought us. Praise and thank Him for His mercy, grace, forgiveness and unconditional love for you. Thank Him for all He has done for you.

Joanne Lowe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 04 Apr 2010, 6:08 pm

Today's Devotional:
A VICTORIOUS DAY
“And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is risen, as he said, Come, see the place where the Lord lay. And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you. And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.” (Matthew 28: 5-8 KJV)
What a power packed verse! “He is not here: for he is risen, as he said, Come, see the place where the Lord lay.” Never has there been a day that was filled with such joy, happiness and excitement than the day when Jesus rose from the dead. What a victorious happy day! The Saviour of the world rose from the dead just as He said He would.
Because He lives, we can live also when His precious atoning blood is applied to our hearts for the forgiveness of our sins. As you celebrate the resurrection of our Saviour, thank Him for His unconditional love. Thank Him for dying for you; for paying the price for your sins. Let’s all of us make an extra effort to tell everyone we see about our risen Saviour and the sacrifice that He made for us and about His unconditional love.
Has the cleansing atoning blood of Jesus been applied to your heart for the forgiveness of your sins? If not, I urge you; I plead with you to humble yourself, admit that you are a sinner, ask God to forgive you and invite the Christ of Calvary into your heart to be your personal Saviour. Thank You, Jesus, for paying the price for our sins. Thank You that because You live we can live with You in Heaven for all eternity. We love You, Jesus, and we appreciate all that You have done for us.
Joanne Lowe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 29 Mar 2010, 11:29 am

Today's Devotional:
THE CUP OF REDEMPTION
"I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer." (Luke 22:15 NIV)
"In the same way after supper He took the cup saying 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this whenever you drink it, in remembrance of Me. For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.'” (1 Corinthians 11:25 NIV)
During one Lenten season, our church held a special presentation of Christ in the Passover. Depicting Jesus as the Passover Lamb, I was inspired by the beautiful setting in which our Savior instituted the Lord’s Supper and shared this special meal with His disciples in the upper room. This image touched my heart giving me a deeper appreciation for Holy Communion.
It was interesting to observe the four cups of wine or grape juice during the Passover ritual and how each cup corresponded to the four verbs expressed in Exodus 6:6 when the Lord redeemed Israel from Egyptian bondage:
First Cup – I will bring you
Second Cup- –I will free you
Third Cup–I will redeem you with an outstretched arm
Fourth Cup –I will take you as my own
Focusing on the third cup, also known as the “cup of blessing,” I was amazed at the remarkable symbolism. I thought how our Savior literally stretched out His arms on the cross of Calvary to redeem us from the bondage of sin. This was the cup of which our Lord spoke these words: “This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins” (Matthew 26:28 NIV)
In light of the New Testament, Christians may now have a full understanding of the spiritual meaning of the Passover event. The apostle Paul explains in 1 Corinthians 5:7: “For Christ our Passover lamb has been sacrificed.” (NIV) Thus, the Passover lamb foreshadowed the One who would come centuries later to be God’s final means of redemption.
The story of Passover and Holy Communion would be incomplete if our Lord had not been raised from the dead. But God’s Word testifies to the resurrection of Christ who defeated death and given us the victory over the grave. So as we commemorate the Lord’s Table and drink from the cup of redemption, may we be mindful of our Lord’s sacrifice, rejoice in His ever living presence, and look forward to the blessed hope of His return.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, we are grateful for the precious sacrifice of the “Lamb of God” through whom You have made an everlasting covenant. As we drink from the cup of redemption may our sins be forgiven for the sake of Your Holy Name. With praise we honor You for the blessings we receive both now and forever as our inheritance among those who are sanctified. In Jesus Name. Amen.
Lori Ciccanti
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 21 Mar 2010, 8:22 pm

Today's Devotional:
FIORDLAND
During our recent anniversary trip to New Zealand, one of the things I found very interesting was the diversity of terrain. From beaches to mountains to rain forests to thermal fields, New Zealand has it all. There is also a wide diversity of weather conditions across the two islands, but perhaps the most intriguing region was what is known as Fiordland.
Fiordland is found on the southwestern tip of the southern island, and it is characterized by the the towering Southern New Zealand Alps, deep lakes, and ocean-flooded, steep valleys.
Our trip to this mystical part of New Zealand began early on Christmas Eve day. It was cloudy, and the closer we got, the mistier and foggier it became. It wasn't long before it was raining, and precipitation of some kind was with us for our entire visit. We were told that we were surrounded by beautiful mountains. We were even shown breath-taking pictures. But all we saw was a layer of cloud and fog.
However, the area was beautiful in ways that the fog couldn't hide. The fauna was stunningly green, and the water-carved canyons with their steep sides that climbed up into the towering Southern New Zealand Alps, were striking. And then there were the waterfalls. Thousands of them, falling hundreds of feet over sheer cliffs into the fiords below. It was absolutely beautiful.
I was astonished to learn that most of the hundreds of waterfalls were not real waterfalls at all, but simply-rain runoff! In fact, on our boat trip through the fiords, there were only 4 real waterfalls! In other words, if it wasn't raining, we would only have been able to see 4 waterfalls instead of the hundreds, and these 4, apparently, would be dried up to almost trickles after just one day of no rain! But in a region that receives more than 200 days of rain a year, with a total of more than 7 metres of rainfall annually in some areas, it makes sense that the waterfalls would primarily be rain runoff.
The area is also sparsely populated, and is thus the area is home to a variety of wildlife, including many endangered species. The deeply penetrating Fiords have a layer of fresh water covering the saltwater below, and the dark tannins in the fresh water layer make it difficult for light to penetrate. As a result, many deep-sea species grow in the comparatively shallow depths of these water inlets.
Was I disappointed that I couldn't see the mountain peaks because of the fog? I suppose, if I am to be truly honest, I was, a little. I love mountains, and I had really looked forward to seeing those towering, snow-covered peaks. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the beauty of the place was as much a result of the rainfall as it was a result of the mountains, and I would have missed much if the rain had gone away.
Life is often like those 200 days a year in Fiordland National Park, New Zealand. We expect that our paths will take us to towering heights. Instead, we find ourselves stuck in the rain and the fog. People tell us that better days are ahead, but just like we couldn't see any of those gorgeous mountain peaks in Fiordland, the troubles of life cloud our view. But take courage! Just like there are sunny days in this wet part of New Zealand, there will be better days in front of us as well! We have to trust God to get us through!
And while we are going through these tough times in our lives, why not take a few moments to look around? Just like the rain made all of those waterfalls possible, could it be that the troubles we wish would go away are making it possible for many other beautiful things to happen?
"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Rom 5:3-4 NIV)
The next time you are in the middle of an impossible situation, remember, God has already made the way out. But while you wait for your miracle, take a look around. Try to pick out the beauty in your situation, and allow God to mold and remake you through this experience. You won't be sorry!
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems,
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 19 Mar 2010, 4:46 pm

BIG BOYS DO CRY
"And Jesus wept." (John 11:35)

"Big boys don’t cry." I heard those words a lot growing up in America in the late sixties and early seventies. In those days men were expected to be tough and rugged and never shed a tear no matter what. Our heroes were all stone faced cowboys who were too strong to cry. Believing this then I tried my best never to cry at all during my teenage and early adult years.
All that changed, however, as I was driving home alone one night shortly after my Mom died. It was dark and raining outside. I was struggling to keep the car on the road while at the same time struggling to hold the tears back in my eyes. I remember almost going off the road twice as I blinked back the salty water that was burning my eyes and blurring my vision. My hands shook, my heart hurt, and my soul felt dead. Finally I could do it no longer. I stopped, pulled over, lay my head on the steering wheel, and cried. I cried until the tears couldn’t fall anymore. I cried until the pain that I was holding onto so strongly finally fled my heart.
After that night I realized something. Big boys do cry. In fact, it is the biggest hearts that cry the most. I realized too that it is our tears that can release us from our anger and our grief while reconnecting us to our love and our God. Tears help us to embrace this often bittersweet life. They help us to keep growing closer to each other in love and joy instead of shutting ourselves up in dull, aching, and lonely hearts.
These days I cry a lot more often. Sometimes the tears are sad. Sometimes the tears are joyous. But always the tears are full of love. I do my best to follow the advice of Leo Buscaglia who said, "Crying is good! It cleans out your eyeballs!" My eyeballs are a lot cleaner now than they used to be and my heart is as well. I hope then that every boy and girl out there realizes that tears are a gift from Heaven. They wash away the pain and water the seeds of love in your soul.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 17 Mar 2010, 11:56 am

Today's Devotional:
I CHOOSE TO LIVE IN THE PRESENT ...
I choose to live in the present...
God is in the future and the past is the past. I am in the present, living for today and not tomorrow, which may not come.

If I try to live in the future, I'll torment myself constantly with the willing help of Satan, feeling lost and helpless, because by living in the future, I'm living ahead of God and not letting Him lead me. God knows my future.

By looking back at the doubts and worries and regrets of the past, I am not looking at God ahead of me, who leads me away from this to Brighter Days, and I stumble in the reality of the day I am living in right then.

That is why I live for today, looking to God for guidance in every word I speak and every step I take as a humble servant of God and for God. For God will lead me to green pastures if I follow Him, and He will pull me out of the deepest pit if I choose to grasp His mighty hand. He forgives me my sins of the past with His unconditonal love, and He clothes me in White Robes of righteousness. Then, He walks with me, hand -in-hand and side-by-side, during the day, as He leads me to the Future Home He has already prepared for me.
"Do not let your hearts be troubled.. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." (John 14:1-3)
"Finally, I confessed my sins to you and stopped trying to hide them. I said to myself, 'I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.' And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone." (Psalm 32:5) "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." (Psalm 32:8)
"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)
I will live for today and forget the past, and I will look forward to God for what He has planned for me in the future.
Prayer: Thank you God for loving and guiding me through life with Your Holy Spirit, and for giving up Your Son to lead me to a happy forever with You. I trust You with all my heart and will live life for every today that You give me. Please guide me today to what you want me to do. Amen.
Emily B.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 14 Mar 2010, 11:03 am

Announcements:
FREEDOM FROM FEAR: An upcoming series!
Fear of heights, fear of being alone, fear of pain, fear of close spaces, fear of death ... This world if riddled with paralyzing fear. This all important series will be tracing fear back to its roots, defining it, and providing tips for complete FREEDOM FROM FEAR! Stay tuned for this upcoming new mini-series that will be appearing in the Saturday editions of The Nugget, beginning in April.
<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><
In His love,

Lyn Chaffart
LADY KNOX
"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." (James 1:19-21 NIV)
"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." (Prov 29:11 NIV)
Geysers are not reliably predictable.
This is something that became very apparent to me upon our visit to Yellowstone National Park 3 years ago. Even Old Faithful, the famous "on the clock" geyser in Yellowstone National Park. Though it erupts on the average of every 80 minutes, it can usually only be predicted within a 20-minute period. When looking through the list of "predictable" geysers in Yellowstone, we find that all of them give a window of time. So when I learned that the Lady Knox geyser in the thermal fields of New Zealand's north island erupted at 10:15 every day, on the clock, I was intrigued. Could this be the world's first, and perhaps only, geyser that you could set your clock by?
We arrived at the park early, but as the clock approached 10:00, there were literally lines of cars waiting to park near the ticket office, long lines of people waiting to buy tickets, and as early as we were, we still had to park nearly a kilometer from where the Lady Knox erupts.
My watch read 10:10 when I finally reached the lookout spot, and it was with impatience that I passed the next 5 minutes. But nothing happened. I checked my watch. Maybe it was a little fast! After all, we were 18 time zones from home!
Then when my watch read 10:20, a park ranger stepped up to the cone on the geyser and called for our attention. I was a little concerned at this point. With the world's only reliably predictable geyser already 5 minutes late, wasn't this gentleman taking his life into his hands?
He didn't look worried however. After a few moments of explanation, he reached over to the Lady Knox's cone and dropped, way down into the depths of the earth - A simple bar of soap! Seconds later, the Lady Knox began to boil and spew, and within moments, she blew.
We learned that day that the Lady Knox would erupt on her own every 24-72 hours. She was not "predictable", not at all!
So why did she erupt when the ranger threw in the soap?
Apparently, the geyser has two water chambers, a hot one that is lower, and heats up due to the volcanic activity below, and a cooler one on top, which cools because of a large opening to the outside. When the soap is thrown into the upper water chamber, the lowered surface tension of the water allows it to mix with the hotter water below, and this causes the eruption. The water that then erupts from its cone is soapy.
It seems a bit "fixed", doesn't it? But say what you want, the Lady Knox Geyser and its surrounding area are likely the cleanest in the world!
As humans, most of us experience "geyser" moments, don't we? The "lower" chamber, continually fed by unforgiveness, worry, lack of faith, reaches a boiling point, forcing itself up into the "upper" chambers of our hearts, and we explode. You know what I'm talking about! You've carefully controlled yourself throughout all the frustrations of your day at work, but when you get home to find out the kids haven't done their homework, you reach the boiling point, and you erupt.
I, for one, don't particularly like these eruptions. I don't like them when they come out of me, and I especially don't like them when they spew forth from someone around me!
In Yellowstone there is a geyser called "The Minute Geyser". In the past, Minute once erupted every 60 seconds, sometimes reaching heights of 40 to 50 feet (12 to 15 meters). Well-meaning tourists, however, clogged Minute's larger vent by tossing in rocks for "good luck". Eruptions now are irregular, and usually only reach heights of 12 inches (25 cm).
What if we were to routinely toss God's Word into the geysers of our emotions? Like Lady Knox, this would allow us to erupt in a more controllable fashion, and it would also allow our eruptions to have more of a cleansing property to them. And like the Minute Geyser in Yellowstone National Park, it would, over time, cause our eruptions to become much less regular, and much smaller!
Tossing things in active geysers is highly discouraged. It is done at Lady Knox under a very controlled set of rules by people who have received special training. Let's remember that God placed these geysers on the earth for a reason, and man should not play with what God has instituted. The next time you visit an active geyser field, resist the temptation to toss anything. Instead, try tossing God's Word into the potential geyser of your volatile emotions! You'll be amazed at the difference it can make over time!
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org , with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org .
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 13 Mar 2010, 12:47 pm

Today's Devotional:
STAR HEIRS
Dust storms settled across the landscape and dust flowed through every breath we took. It settled on the roof of the house, on the tiles on the veranda, and on the leaves of the plants and trees.
It was a hot and wearing time and we could do nothing to change it. Dust we lived in and dust we would have.
We almost settled for dust as though it were a normal part of life and we tended to put away thoughts of showers and greenery and the pleasure of walking among the trees. We were distracted from the side of our lives that lifted our spirits and gave us a sense of peace.
In fact, we almost forgot there was another side to our lives.
So I am glad to be reminded that when the Lord told Abraham he would have descendants as numerous as dust particles, he later also told Abraham that he would have descendant as numerous as the stars of the sky. ‘There sprang descendants as numerous as the stars in the heavens or the countless grains of sand on the seashore.’ Hebrews 11:12.
It helps me to understand why there are two different sides to life. There is the side that lives in the dust and thrives on life shrouded with the dust of all misery.
Then there is a side that sees through the dust and lives among the freshness of clean air, starlight and a clear sunrise coming over the horizon. It thrives on the life of the One born of heaven rather than the one born of dust.
Above all, it reminds me that we can be lifted out of the dust and we can be heirs of Christ who inherit all that heaven offers.
‘So if you belong to Christ, you are the issue of Abraham and heirs by virtue of the promise.’ Galatians 3:29.
Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 10 Mar 2010, 6:33 pm

Date: January 18, 2010 2:39 PM
Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
THEN I'LL BE HAPPY
"Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." (Neh 8:10 NIV)

For a good part of my life I suffered from a disease. This disease dampened my spirits, drained me of my energy, and robbed me of my vitality. Sometimes it even made it hard to get out of bed in the morning. It made every part of my life more difficult and demanding. For a while too it looked like this disease would be a weight I would have to carry for the rest of my life. This disease was called, "And then I’ll be happy."
I think I first caught it in middle school. During my younger years I seemed to always enjoy the moment and relish each day of my life. At some point during those middle school years, however, I remember starting to look to the future more and more and enjoying today less and less. At first I thought getting into high school and being a teenager would make me happy. Then the dream switched to being the high school football star. That was followed by being on my own in college. Next came having a great career and high paying job. Getting rich and having that big house followed it. After that was the dream of raising a family. Then there was retiring and finally enjoying my life. Each dream postponed my happiness a little further down the road. Finally I realized that if I kept going this way, I would be dead before I was happy.
That is when I came to see that it would be a lot better to be happy now than to live with this disease. Life I knew would always have fresh problems and frustrations, but I thought it would be a lot better to meet them with a happy heart and loving soul rather than waiting for life to be perfect. These days I am in remission. I still have occasional flare ups of "And then I’ll be happy," but I heal them by knowing that I can choose love and joy every second of my life.
God loves us all so much and wants us to be happy today, tomorrow, and forever. Let’s not let Him down. Let’s choose love, share joy, and spread happiness with every moment we have.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 07 Mar 2010, 2:02 pm

Today's Devotional:
A LAND WITHOUT MAMMALS
My husband and I took a very special trip this past Christmas. In celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary, he took me on a surprise trip to New Zealand.
It was an exceptional trip all around, and we learned many interesting facts. One of the facts that surprised me was that before man came to these two out-of-this-world islands, there were only two species of mammals living there. Both were tiny bats. Other than these, the islands were inhabited only by reptiles and amphibians, bugs and birds.
Some time before 1300 ad, a group of indigenous Polynesian people arrived in New Zealand. Over time they came to inhabit the islands, developing a distinct culture, the Maori culture. With them came the Polynesian rat and the dog. The arrival of the Europeans in New Zealand in the 18th century brought more mammals to the fertile lands. Rabbits and deer were introduced for sport. Having no natural enemies on the islands, these mammals thrived and soon became a nuisance. Stoats were introduced to control the rabbits, and soon they, too, were out of control. Possums were introduced to augment the fur trade. These soon became so numerous that they are now jokingly known as "New Zealand Speed Bumps" due to the vast number of possum road kill that can be seen along the sides of any New Zealand road.
It wasn't long before the natural fauna of New Zealand began to suffer from these introductions. There have been 57 species of birds that have gone extinct. Some were overhunted for food. Others died off due to loss of habitat - indiscriminate forest burning, logging, forest clearing for pastureland. Still others became extinct because of the introduction of predatory animals, including bird enemies numbers one and two, stoats and rats. The prominent extinction groups are all 14 of the ancient Moa species, 11 rails, 6 wrens and both of the indigenous eagles.
Of the remaining indigenous species, most, if not all, including the famous Kiwi bird, are considered endangered.
It's sad, isn't it?
The story is similar for the flora of New Zealand. The giant Kauri trees are seriously endangered thanks to the forestry and gum industries. Introduced trees and plants thrive on the islands, crowding out the native flora.
Is it any wonder that the department of conservation in New Zealand is as active as it is?
God created our world to survive and thrive in a delicate balance. Whenever man has interfered with that balance, the result has been disastrous to the indigenous animal and plant life of the region. We see this all over the globe, and on a much more global scale, we currently are experiencing this with the effects of global warming.
So why do we interfere with nature?
Mostly for selfish reasons. Sport, industry, convenience. But it makes you think. God also created human beings to survive and thrive in this world. We could have all lived in harmony with His nature, except for one tiny thing: We weren't content to live as "part" of nature, we wanted to exploit nature and bring it under our control for our own enjoyment and profit.
Where did we go wrong?
We went wrong the day we decided to look towards satisfying our own desire for knowledge, rather than trusting that God was everything we would ever need.
Now I'm not pointing the finger at Adam and Eve. Any one of us would have done the same. What I want to do is to follow the advice of Paul, " … Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead …" (Phil 3:13) Paul encourages us to learn from the past, but not to dwell in it. Our goal is to take what we've learned and use that knowledge to make the future better.
It's too late to save the extinct flora and fauna of New Zealand, but it isn't too late to shape a better future. We can learn from our past mistakes. We can let God help us overcome our selfishness and our greed. We can let God work through us to shape a future that is better than what we now have. But it has to start with us-you, and me!
Lord, may our daily prayer be this: Reveal to us where selfishness and pride continue to rampage in our hearts! Help us to hate our innate selfishness and pride, and yield these to You! Strip us of ourselves so that we can have a positive impact on the world. Bring us back in line with what you intended for us from the beginning: Lives focused 100% on You! Only then is there any hope for our future!
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org , with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org .
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 05 Mar 2010, 2:42 pm

THORNS
We've all heard the saying "a thorn in my side" but do you know where it comes from...the rest of the story? And the promise that comes with the thorn?
The apostle Paul says that a thorn, figuratively, was allowed to remain in his flesh. The purpose: to keep him humble. To remind him that when he succeeds, it is because of God at work. The thorn was allowed because if Paul was in perfect condition, it would have been easy for him to take credit for his ministry, instead of recognizing God as the true source of all power.
Don't think though that Paul didn't beg and plead with God to remove the thorn. But, God, in His grace and wisdom, gave him a promise. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9.
Is there a thorn in your flesh that you have been begging to remove? Is it possible that He has allowed a particular situation in order to show that He is enough for you? I know the circumstances that I pray to God to change...and He hasn't really. I have dropped to my knees in the quiet of my kid's closet, because that was the only quiet place, and asked Him, "How am I supposed to do and say the things You want me to in the middle of this?" In His wisdom He directed me to Paul's thorn. Paul probably said the same thing...You want me to go where and do what with this going on? God's word to Paul applies to me, and to all of us.
So, like Paul, I suck it up, bite my lip, and focus my eyes on God. And in the end, at the end of the day, I know that God was with me. Every step. There is no place He asks us to go, literally and figuratively, that He doesn't go before us and behind us. If you are facing an impossible situation and are using a thorn as an excuse to behave in a less than godly way, stop. Do what you are feeling justified in not doing, and watch God work. If your life was perfect, with no conflicts or thorns, you would miss an opportunity to see God.
Let His grace be sufficient for you. Accept it for yourself, but don't forget to offer it to others. That may be the lesson He is waiting for me to learn.
Debbie Giese
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 11:27 pm

TEARS IN A BOTTLE

"Put Thou my tears into Thy bottle; are they not in Thy book?" (Psalm 56:8 KJV)
"Do you see this woman? I came into your house, you did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair." (Luke 7:44 NIV)
Can you imagine collecting a lifetime of tears in a bottle? How would those tears describe your life? Several weeks ago, I received a lovely email devotional explaining the ancient custom of collecting tears. One individual shared her experience in Jerusalem and the artifacts she obtained dating back to the time of Christ, among them a tear bottle made from blown glass. Interestingly, these bottles were commonly used to preserve tears during times of grief and were eventually meant to be buried along with a loved one or with its owner.
Reflecting on the ancient practice of collecting tears, the woman in today’s scripture must have had plenty of tears to literally wash the feet of her Savior. Living a sinful life until she met Jesus, some scholars believe that her tears came from her own tear bottles. Provoking thought, we will never know for certain. However, the important moral in this story is the tears she shed were tears of heartfelt repentance.
Contemplating times of sorrow in my own life, like most people there are many regrets. Sometimes we suffer because of things outside our control yet because we are all sinners; many times we are simply living outside of God’s perfect will. In any case, thanks to the God of all compassion, when our hearts are made right before Him, we can then move forward with confidence trusting the Lord in His mercy to redeem us from all evil.
Prayer
Father, during this Lenten season inspire us to examine our hearts before You. Let the precious blood of Your Son cleanse us from all unrighteousness. And may Your Spirit keep us humbly devoted to Your service now and forever. In Jesus Name. Amen.
Lori Ciccanti
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 24 Feb 2010, 12:07 pm

ARE WE PRAISING OR COMPLAINING
“By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.” (Heb. 13:15 KJV)
One of the definitions that I found in Webster’s Dictionary for continually is “indefinitely in time without interruption”. I am ashamed to admit it but I don’t praise God continually. There are times when I allow satan to discourage me. As a result of allowing satan to discourage me, instead of praising God continually I let my circumstances and lack of money interrupt my praises to God. How about you? Do you continually praise God without interruption?
I think if we are honest with ourselves, all of us will have to admit that we do not praise God continually. After all He has done for us; we must hurt Him and break His heart when we don’t continually praise Him. Our Scripture verse instructs us to “offer the sacrifice of praise”. This means that we are to praise Him in the bad times as well as in the good times. May God have mercy on us and forgive us for only thanking Him and praising Him when everything is okay in our lives.
Heavenly Father, we do thank You and praise You for all that You have done for us and for all that You do for us every day of our lives. Please forgive us for not praising You continually. Help us to praise You in the bad times as well as in the good times. We pray that we will become praisers instead of being complainers. May we not only thank You and praise You, but may we also live so that others will see Jesus in us. Amen.
Joanne Lowe
July 8, 2009
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top