Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 4:36 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
July 14, 2016
Understanding the 'Why', Part 1

By Answers2Prayer 
  One of the big things I struggle with every time I'm going through trials is the question, 'Why?'

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, for it is innately human to want to understand things, and somehow, it makes what we're going through easier when we understand the 'why' piece.

Take for example the recent changes that came about in the rehab hospital where I work. These were announced well in advance, and right from the first introduction of the upcoming changes, the 'why' piece was explained. As I sat back later and contemplated what the hospital wanted to do, I realized it was going to be a huge undertaking that would likely not settle into place for many months. That would mean major stress for everyone employed by the hospital, to say nothing of the stress on our patients. But I recognized the reasoning behind the changes, I realized that in the end, the advantages would be far-reaching, and when the dust finally settles, both patients and staff will greatly benefit. With this basic understanding in place, I volunteered to be on the planning committee (after all, if you can't fight change, you might as well help lead it!), and as we have moved through the initial transition, I have tried to be a positive voice in the midst of the stress.

Yes, knowing 'why' definitely helps us through. 

Unfortunately, when it comes to the trials that we face, we usually aren't privy to the 'why' piece. I've often thought, with the onset of each new trial, that if only I knew why, it would be so much easier to accomplish.

God has taught me two vitally important lessons about knowing 'why', and I would like to share these with you. 

So many times I've sat down in my prayer closet in the face of one major trial or another and said, "Why, God?" Now I will admit that it is difficult to hear God's voice in these situations, because the reality of our circumstances is so big in our minds that we can't seem to focus on anything else. In fact, it's pretty easy in these situations to think God has abandoned us. Yet when we really put our hearts to listening, we find that He is, indeed, there. 

One day, as I again cried out, "God, if I only knew why this was happening, it would be so much easier to navigate", I heard His voice loud and clear: "Do you really need to know 'why'? Don't you trust Me enough to know that I know why, and I see and direct the 'big picture'? Isn't that enough?"

Herein lies the first lesson we can learn from asking the 'why' question: It IS enough that God knows why. He is directing everything that happens to us, He has it all under control, and we can trust Him to know 'why'. 

The next time you are faced with circumstances and trials that are way beyond you; the next time you are tempted to ask 'why', remember that you when God knows 'why', we truly don't need to know!

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." (Prov 3:5-6)

Won't it be fun to get to Heaven and see the picture from God's perspective?

There is yet another secret to understanding the 'why' question. Join us next time for "Understanding the 'Why', Part 2".

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

Announcement:

Are the Nugget devotionals a blessing to you? Check out the Scriptural Nuggets website!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://worldwidechristians.6forum.info

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 10:05 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
July 12, 2016
Seeking Understanding

By Answers2Prayer 
 "For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way..." (Hebrews 2:17)

When I was younger, and my Mom would be trying to get a point across, she would say, "Someday when you are a mother, you will understand." These days my daughter will occasionally say to me, "Now that I'm a Mom, I understand things you said a lot better!"

You have to "be there" to "get it". You can have all the head knowledge in the world, but until you experience some things, there's just no way you can understand them.

At just the right time, the Lord implemented His plan to reconcile us to Himself. And Jesus, God in the flesh, was born as a baby. He grew up in a family and experienced things we all do. 

Jesus understands us, because He's "been there". So whenever we are seeking understanding, we can remember Someone is right here to do that very thing.

That's good news.

Inspirational Messages, Sally I. Kennedy 2015

Announcement:

Great news! Answers2Prayer has a webpage offering 68 Online Bibles available in different languages. Please visit us! If you know of an online Bible in a language that we do not yet have available, please let us know by sending an e-mail. Thank you my friends.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 9:40 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 9, 2016
The Mobber

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  During the spring and summer, I often see tiny birds driving off much larger ones. I've often wondered about this. How does such a tiny bird have the courage, speed and strength to attack and drive off a much larger one? Finally my curiosity got the better of me, and I googled it. Here is what I found:

This rather common practice in the bird world is called "mobbing", and the smaller, weaker bird is known as the "mobber". Mobbing is probably a bit more common in the spring than in other seasons, as the most common reason is protection of the mobber's nest and young. It is also sometimes done to protect a food source.

The mobber will usually attack another, larger bird, but mobbing has also been known to be an attack on a mammal, even one as large a cow. Common mobbers include chickadees, titmice, kingbirds, blackbirds, grackles, jays, and crows; while common targets include hawks, crows, ravens, herons and owls. Interestingly according to my Internet source, the mobber is most often successful.

The information only served to further prick my curiosity: How can a bird as tiny as a titmouse or a chickadee have enough strength, speed and ferocity to drive off a bird as large as a hawk or a heron? 

Apparently the mobber's success is due to its greater maneuverability. In addition, the mobber often takes the target completely by surprise, and these two factors take away much of the predator's advantage. *

But you didn't really come to read this site because you wanted a lesson on birds, so what does this have to do with the stormy trials you are currently going through?

Just this: when the target bird enters the mobber's territory, the mobber suddenly finds himself in the midst of a major trial, one that could take the life of his mate or young, or even take his own life. Isn't this how we feel in the midst of our storms?

So often as the storms press in, we feel like there is no way out. The illness is just too big for us. There isn't any solution to our financial difficulties. Our relationship problems just won't go away, etc. It is at this moment that we can take lessons from the mobber: We can rise up in the middle of our storm and drive it away!

Will we be successful?

Remember that the mobber relies on the element of surprise as well as on their greater maneuverability to succeed. We, also have something that is to our advantage: We have the power of Jesus Christ, who died on the cross to give us victory: "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (Gal 5:1) 

It is our choice if we USE that power, or if we simply let the waves of the storm overcome us. 
Like the little mobbers who rely on surprise and maneuverability, we can rely on Jesus' resurrection power to drive off the predator that wants to rob us and our families of our peace in Jesus.

Friends, I encourage each of you to learn a valuable lesson from the mobbers. In the face of whatever your storm may be, rise up in the power of Jesus' name and command it to leave! 

The other day, the spirit of anxiety and fear overcame someone in my family. I felt so helpless. I had no idea what to do. As I drove to work, I began to pray, and suddenly it came to me: I needed to be a mobber! I rose up in the power of Jesus' name and commanded that filthy spirit away from my loved one. I declared his power broken, and then I prayed a hedge of protection over my family member that the predator would not be able to return.

When I got home that evening, I found an entirely different person waiting for me. He was completely and totally free of anxiety and fear, he had decided to take a step out in faith and let God handle the situation he had been so imprisoned by. 

What about it friends? In the face of our trials, let's be mobbers! We will be amazed at how Jesus' resurrection power will drive away the "predators" of our circumstances!

In His love,
Lyn

Lynona Gordon Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two, Author -- "Aboard God's Train -- A Journey With God Through the Valley of Cancer", Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. Follow Lyn on Twitter @lynchaffart.

* http://www.allaboutbirds.org/page.aspx?pid=1098#q-mobbing 

Announcement:

Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 10:54 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 7, 2016
Eternity's Eyes

By Answers2Prayer 
  Over the years I have gotten so many letters and e-mails of appreciation for these simple stories I write. These letters always warm my heart. Once in a while, however, I get a letter from hurting soul who is angry with both God and life. I got one of these the other day. The man wrote: "If God truly does love us then how can He allow the poor to suffer, children to starve, and the homeless to die in the street? How can He allow so much war, cruelty, and violence in this world?" I looked at the letter for a long time and then wrote this back to him: "God doesn't allow this. We do."

There is more than enough food in this world to fill every child's stomach. There is more than enough wealth in this world to give everyone a home where they can feel safe. There is more than enough love in this world to overcome cruelty, violence, and war. Yet, we hoard, fear, and steal. We seek power instead of love. We close our homes, our hands, and our hearts.

We shut ourselves off and refuse to see that everyone is our brother and sister. Perhaps our problem is that we don't look at this world through the eyes of eternity. We don't see that a better home and happier life awaits us after this one. We don't see the love of God within us. Instead we chase after the things of this world. We don't see that in eternity's eyes all the wealth and power in the universe isn't worth a bucket of spit. We don't see that in the next life we won't be judged by our fame and accomplishments. We will be judged by the good we did, the people we helped, and the love we shared.

I pray that all of those hurting souls out there will find their way back to faith, love, and life. I pray that every one of us will feel just how much God loves us and realize just how much we can love as well. I pray that all of us will one day see this life through eternity's eyes.

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'" (Matt 25:37-40 NIV)

By: Joseph J. Mazzella

Announcement:

Why, God? Why? 

It's a common question, one that warrants a good answer. Join us next week for "Understanding the Why", a mini-series by Lynona Gordon Chaffart
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 12:34 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

July 5, 2016
Oceans Deep, Part 9

By Answers2Prayer 
 Over the past 8 devotionals, we've been taking a close look at the story of Jesus and Peter walking on water; but this story is so concrete. The disciples were in the midst of a literal storm, and they were in a real boat. Our storms aren't the kind that would tip over a fishing boat on the lake. Our storms are the kind that will eat us up on the inside and slowly drain us of life. How can this story be applied to our storms?

One of the things I've struggled with since I was diagnosed with cancer is a very poor sleep pattern. This is actually one of the side effects of my medication. Now God has been faithful. There has not been a single day when He hasn't been my strength and my energy, despite sleeping on the average, only 3-4 hours a night. And recently, thanks to the faithful prayers of my wonderful family, my average sleep had increased to 5 hours, and then to 5 1/2. Wow! I am truly the recipient of a miracle! And it was with joy that I would measure my amount of sleep each morning. If I had a 6 hour night, I rejoiced that I would have plenty of energy for the day, and if my night was only 5 hours, I would forget that 5 hours was already a miracle, far better than the previous 3, and I would resign myself to being tired all day. On the odd day when my family forgot to pray with me before I went to bed, I would know in advance that I wouldn't sleep as well.

About the same time as God placed this series on my heart, and exactly at the same time that I began asking the question of how I could figuratively 'get out of the boat' for the storms of my life, the unthinkable happened with my sleep: I suddenly jumped back to my 3-4 hour nights, and my energy was completely drained. It became a struggle to put one foot in front of the other. 

I turned to God with this problem, but I have to admit that I was complaining more than anything else: "Why, God? I thought You were healing me of my sleeplessness? Why are the old patterns all coming back? And God, I've been trusting You, despite the lack of sleep, to give me the energy I need!"

God's response was clear: "I want you to get out of the boat!"

"But," I responded, in my habitual argumentative attitude, "I don't understand how to do that! I don't even know what my 'boat' is!"

I was immediately impressed with the idea that my 'boat' was three-fold: It was, first and foremost, that I had begun to rely on the prayers of my family for my sleep. Secondly, I was relying on the number of hours of sleep for my energy; and finally, I had begun to rely on my physical feeling of energy to get me through each day. 

With these realizations came once again that gentle, quiet voice: "I need you to get out of your boat!"

"But..." I sputtered, "I..." Then it all came back to me: Everything I've been writing about in this series! God wasn't abandoning me to my lack of sleep! I was simply clinging to my 'boat', and now, now God was calling me out upon the waters! He was promising that I would be able to walk across the waves of sleeplessness instead of bobbing along in my boat at the mercy of those waves! 

So I did it. I got out of my three-hulled boat. I renounced the need for prayer to sleep. I renounced the need to sleep a certain number of hours, and I even renounced the need to feel energetic to be able to function. I stepped out into the great unknown, knowing that my feet would fail. But I did it knowing that I would find Jesus there, in the mystery, in the ocean deep; and there I discovered that my faith would, indeed, stand.

Oh, there have been a few times since this day that I, like Peter, have looked back down at the wind and the waves. Take the day I was simply dragging, for example. Like Peter, I, too, lifted my eyes back to Jesus, and instantly, though my energy didn't change, I knew I was going to be able to do what I needed to do. 

Recently I went for yet another of my oncology check-ups. Besides being told that everything was fine with no apparent return of cancer, my oncologist decided it was time to change my medication. He actually took me off the medication that was making me be unable to sleep! 

Is this how Jesus will calm my storm? I don't know, but I'm pretty excited to see how it all plays out. Since this medication stays in the system for up to 30 days, I haven't yet seen much change in my sleep pattern, but let's remember that when Peter walked on the water, his storm didn't calm right away, either. I know that the end of my storm is coming, and in the meantime, I am enjoying the supernatural feeling of walking over the top of my storm of sleeplessness. 

So what is a 'boat', anyway? 

It can be anyone or anything. It is whatever we are relying on instead of Jesus. It may be our cancer treatments. It may be our families. It may be on our own efforts to stay healthy and prevent disease. It may be our reliance on a steady paycheck or on our cars for transportation. It may be that our boats are our schedules and routines or our efficiency or the structure we build into our lives. Whatever it is, it is only when the storms of life arise that we begin to realize how inadequate our 'boats' actually are.

Friends, in the midst of whatever storm you may find yourself in, I urge you to spend some time praying and asking God to reveal to you just what your 'boat' might be; and when He does, I encourage you to renounce it, to 'step out of it', ever keeping your eyes fixed upon Jesus, the author and the finisher of your faith. For when you do, you, too, will find yourself walking over the surface of the storm, and you will thrill at the reality of doing what is humanly impossible until the day that Jesus calms the waters. 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Do you know any facebook fans? Why not invite them to visit Answers2Prayer on Facebook! This is their opportunity to discover that our Heavenly Father truly cares for them, and that Jesus is not only their Saviour by their friend as well!

The Illustrator and the Nugget have joined forces and are now on Facebook under the name Answers2Prayer. This group is dedicated to bringing people closer to our loving God through daily thought-provoking devotionals and inspirational stories.

Invite them to join us at by clicking here. They may either sign in or sign up, and once into their account, they can search for Answers2Prayer in the search bar (on the top right corner of the screen) and hit enter. Here they will find our new group, and they can click on "Join Group", hit "Confirm" and then enjoy daily encouragement.

As always, this is a free. Our goal is to help your friends and family make Jesus their focus!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 10:54 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
July 2, 2016
Oceans Deep, Part 8

By Answers2Prayer 
  Over the last 7 devotionals, we've been looking at the story of Jesus--and Peter!--walking on water. We've seen: 

1. How God has indeed called each of us out upon the waters, into situations where 'our feet may fail'! But it is there that we find Him in the mystery, and in the deep oceans of whatever our storm may be, our feet will stand;

2. That fear is a normal part of going through the storms of our lives, but if we take the time to contemplate God's miracles, in our own lives--in the Bible and in the lives of those around us--when we enter our storms, we won't be so afraid; 

3. That Jesus doesn't always immediately come and "rescue" us from our storms, and sometimes, though we may see Him in the distance, it is as if He is going to pass us by. In these circumstances we can hypothesize that His purpose in this is to grow our faith, to remind us that despite the storm, we are not alone; to show us that despite the wind and the waves, we can follow His example and walk across the surface of the storm;

4. That Jesus doesn't wait until we cry out to Him in faith. He doesn't even care if we don't immediately recognize Him in the storm. The moment we cry out, however, whether in faith, in surprise or in fear, He responds with "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." We also saw that although fear is a normal part of going through the storms of our lives, it can be overcome by faith, faith that comes from spending time with Jesus, getting to know Him, experiencing personally His love and His miracles;

5. That although stepping out into the wind and the waves is a scary thought, when Peter did just that, he stopped bobbing along at the whim of the storm, and instead, he walked on the surface of it. When we're willing to take that huge step in faith as well, we, too, will walk over the surface of our storm instead of bobbing along inside of it; 

6. That God doesn't penalize us when we aren't quite ready to take that extra step in faith and abandon our safety nets. Nonetheless, the rewards of taking the opportunities He gives us to grow our faith are beyond comprehension, for it is only then that we, too, can experience the humanly impossible by walking over the surface of our storm;

7. Finally, we've come to learn that as we consider answering Jesus' call to come out of the safety of the boat, we will only be able to walk across the surface of our storms if we keep our eyes upon Jesus. The moment we begin to doubt, however, all we have to do is call out to Jesus and He will reach out and save us. 

We are all going through storms right now. For some the storm is called "Cancer". For others it is financial difficulties, marital problems, work problems, and a host of many other possible things. I would like to encourage each of you right now to take a moment and contemplate just who in the story you can best relate to: Is it Peter? Or the 11 other disciples in the boat? 

Let's remember that our "boat" can be so many different things. It can be family, friends, oncologists, jobs, counselors, pastors, padded bank accounts, contingency plans...And let's remember that God didn't make the boat disappear when Peter got out of it; in fact, Peter and Jesus got back IN the boat! This tells us that our "boats" are not bad things. They are, in fact, things that God may use to get us through the storm. But God is calling us out. He wants us to put our trust in Him, to be 100% submitted to His will, no matter where that may lead. That's what it means to come out of the boat. 

Are we still clinging to the "boat" instead of to Jesus? Like the other 11 disciples, have you even considered coming "out"? Or are we like Peter, ever ready to get out of the boat, to walk across the surface of the storm, but the moment that storm doesn't seem to be calming, we lose faith? Do we become distracted by our circumstances? Do we start to--sink? 

Jesus is calling us each to come out of our boats, to put our trust in Him and Him alone, no matter where that may lead. He asks us to simply keep our eyes upon Him, no matter what happens to the wind and the waves of our storms. In so doing, He promises that we will experience Him so much more fully, and that our faith will be given so much more opportunity to grow. 

In bringing this devotional to a close, I would like to ask each of you to take time to prayerfully mediate upon the song that began this series: 'Oceans', by Hillsongs United. As you read these words, ask yourselves what God is calling you to do. Whatever it is, I would encourage you to do it, and I guarantee that if you do, your walk with God through your storm will change. I can't say how it will change, but it will change, and in the end, that change will be for the better. 

Hillsongs United: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9nwe9_xzw  

OCEANS (Where Feet May Fail)

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

So I will call upon Your name
When oceans rise

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

Oh, Jesus, you're my God!

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
I am Yours and You are mine

Hillsongs United

But wait a minute...Getting out of the boat is such a concrete thing to do. We don't find ourselves in boats in the middle of literal streams. Just what is our "boat" anyway, and how can we get out of it? Join us next time for a real-life example of getting out of the boat and walking on water in 'Oceans Deep, the Conclusion'

In His love
Lyn

Announcement:

FREEDOM FROM FEAR Fear of heights, fear of being alone, fear of pain, fear of close spaces, fear of death ... This world if riddled with paralyzing fear. This all important series will be tracing fear back to its roots, defining it, and providing tips for complete "Freedom From Fear!" Check it out at by clicking here!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:40 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
June 28, 2016
Oceans Deep, Part 6

By Answers2Prayer 
  Last Saturday, in 'Oceans Deep, Part 5', we saw that in order to walk over the surface of our storms instead of bobbing along at their will, we have to step out of our safety nets. We have to be willing to get out of the boat and into the heart of the storm! 

But wait. Why was it that only Peter got out of the boat? 

The Bible records that the "disciples" were in the boat, not just Peter: "Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side..." (Matt 14:22), and these would be the same disciples who had walked for months with Jesus, witnessed miracle after miracle, the same ones who had just participated in the feeding of the 5000. 

We also know that Jesus appeared to all of them, because the Bible records the following: "And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, 'It is a ghost!' And they cried out for fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them..." (Matt 14:26,27); yet we only see one answering Jesus: "And Peter answered Him..." (vs. 28).

Yet the Bible doesn't record that Jesus commanded each of them to get out of the boat, for only to Peter did He say, "Come." (vs 29), and then, only because Peter showed interest: "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." (vs 28).

So what we see here is that Jesus came to all of them, but He only commanded one to get out of the boat, and it was the one who responded to His initial call.

We often hear it said that God "pushes" us out of our comfort zone. I would suggest that though He does give us invitations, sometimes even gentle nudges for us to take that step in faith, God does not force us to go where we are not comfortable going. He understands, and it is only to those who are willing to surrender to Him that He extends the invitation to walk across the surface of the storm.

Were the other 11 disciples disciplined for not getting out of the boat?

Not at all. Matthew records that the moment Jesus and Peter got back into the boat, the storm calmed: "And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased." (vs 32); thus, all 12 disciples received the benefit of the miracle. The storm stopped for all 12. 

So why would it be, then, that Peter was called to walk on the water, when the others were allowed to stay safely in the boat? 

Let me ask you a different question: Who was the most blessed by this encounter with Jesus? The 11 disciples who stayed in the safety of the boat? Or Peter who did what was humanly impossible in walking over the surface of the storm? 

Friends, God calls us to higher and higher levels of faith. He desires to have us experience Him on deeper and deeper levels; but when we aren't quite ready to go where He would have us to go, we are not penalized. The only thing that happens is that we don't experience God as significantly as we might otherwise have done! 

Not ready to give up the safety of your boat? Not ready to take that extra step in faith and abandon our safety nets? It's okay. God doesn't penalize us. Nonetheless, the rewards of taking the opportunities He gives us to grow our faith are beyond comprehension, for it is only then that we, too, can experience the humanly impossible by walking over the surface of our storms.

Join us next Thursday For 'Ocean's Deep, Part 7'.

In His love
Lyn

Announcement:

LESSONS FROM HANDICAPS!!!  Are there lessons you can learn from handicaps? Click here and see!  
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 10:39 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
June 25, 2016
Oceans Deep, Part 5

By Answers2Prayer 
  Last Thursday, in 'Oceans Deep, Part 4', we saw that although fear is a normal part of going through the trials of life, fear can be overcome by faith, faith that comes from spending time with Jesus, getting to know Him, experiencing personally His love and His miracles.

In the midst of our own storms, as we contemplate this story of the fear of the disciples and of Jesus walking past them on the water, we wonder: How should we respond to our storm?

We can learn some valuable lessons from Peter and his response: "'Lord, if it's you,' Peter replied, 'tell me to come to you on the water.'" (Matt 14:28)

Despite the fact that Peter saw Jesus walking on the water, despite having heard Jesus' voice, he still wasn't sure if this was really Jesus, and so we see him putting Jesus to the test: "If it is you..."

Is this wrong?

Not at all, we are told to test the spirits: "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God..." (1 John 4:1) In other words, we aren't to believe everything our eyes tell us. We are to put what we sense to the test!

Jesus wasn't put off by Peter's little 'test' either. His response? "'Come,' he said." (Matt 14:29a). 

And that's what Peter did: "Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus." (Matt 14:29b)

There are lots of lessons that we can learn from this, but for today, let's just look at one tiny point: "Then Peter got down out of the boat..."

Wait a minute. In the midst of a terrible storm, one that even from the safety of the boat makes us afraid, would we be willing to get out of the boat? But then, when Jesus told Peter to "come", he truly had no choice but to obey, did he? After all, he had asked for the test. And so we find Peter stepping out of the safety of the boat, into the storm. 

In the midst of our own storms, we also have little safety nets built around us. We have people -- family and friends -- who we rely on. We have our contingency plans. We have our medical care and our research and our documented and successful medical treatments. We have bank loans and unemployment and welfare. We have psychiatrists and counselors...And the list could go on and on. 

But God calls us to step out of our safety nets, out into the storm. 

Why?

For the same reason Jesus called Peter out of the boat: Because that boat couldn't save him. One big wave and it would capsize. Only Jesus could save him, and in order to do so, Jesus needed Peter to put aside any other thing that he might be relying on. 

In the face of our trials, whatever they currently may be, how can we step out of the boat? 

By being willing to take that step of faith. In the heat of the storm, we need to put aside everything we have been relying upon. We need to step out of our safety nets and surrender ourselves, and our health/money/relationship/work/etc. problems to God and to His will. 

Does this mean we shouldn't pursue medical treatment? Counselling? Unemployment? Does this mean we shouldn't go to our friends and family for much needed support? Does it mean that we shouldn't look for a different means of transportation? 

Absolutely not. 

What it means, however, is that we shouldn't put our faith in these things. Instead, we should put our trust in God, the only One who can calm our storms. 

Stepping out into the wind and the waves is a scary thought; but let's remember that when Peter did just that, he stopped bobbing along at the whim of the storm, and instead, he walked on the surface of it. When we're willing to take that huge step in faith as well, we, too, will walk over the surface of our storm instead of bobbing along inside of it.

What about it, friends? Are you willing to step out of the boat and into the wind and waves? Believe me, the rewards are worth the leap of faith! 

But why was it that only Peter was called out of the boat? After all, he wasn't exactly alone in that storm...Join us next Tuesday for 'Oceans Deep, Part 6' to discover why the other 11 disciples stayed in the boat! 

In His love
Lyn

Announcement:

That's it. You're in deep water now! What will you do? Will you sink? Swim? Or will you walk on the water? Check out "Oceans Deep", next week, a miniseries by Lynona Gordon Chaffart,
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:22 am

Welcome to the Nugget
June 23, 2016
Oceans Deep, Part 4

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  Last Tuesday, in 'Oceans Deep, Part 3', we saw that Jesus doesn't always immediately come and "rescue" us from our storms, and sometimes, though we may see Him in the distance, it is as if He is going to pass us by. Could it be that His purpose is to grow our faith? That He simply wants to remind us that despite the storm, we are not alone? Does He perhaps want to show us, too, that despite the wind and the waves, we can follow His example and walk across the surface of the storm?

That's a very pretty speculation, but I can't walk on water. It isn't humanly possible. The disciples knew this, and that is why the Bible records that they thought Jesus was a ghost: 
"When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. 'It's a ghost,' they said..." (Matt 14:26)

In other words, despite the fact that they had just experienced and participated in the miraculous feeding of the 5000, in the midst of their storm, they didn't even recognize Jesus. They thought He was a ghost, because He was doing something they didn't consider possible.

It makes me think. In the midst of my storms, when it seems that Jesus is miles away, is it possible that He is actually very close by, but that I don't see Him? Is it possible that He is doing something miraculous, but it is too fantastic for me to grasp? Is it possible that, like the disciples, I figure Jesus has truly abandoned me, and all I am seeing is a 'ghost'?

Most of us would give anything for a miraculous healing. We would love to see our financial difficulties disappear into thin air. We would give anything for our kids to turn to God and our spouses to forgive us and return to us. But deep down inside, do we truly believe that healing is for us? That we could be the recipient of God's miracles? When we see it happening to others, do we truly believe it is of God? Or like the disciples of old, do we simply think it is a 'ghost', something to be feared, certainly not something to be embraced and accepted? 

This interesting thought has haunted me a bit of late: Is Jesus perhaps already pouring out His miracles upon us, but we are too afraid to embrace them? 

At this stage in the story, the disciples do something vitally important. They: "...cried out in fear." (Mat 14:26b)

Notice that they didn't cry out in faith, or even surprise. They cried out in...Fear! 

In other words, it doesn't matter how we cry out. What's important is that we do it! And at this stage in the 'storm' of our lives, I would encourage you, just like the father of the demon-possessed boy, to cry out--either in faith, surprise or fear--"Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief!"

Jesus' response to the disciples' cry? "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

Let's stop worrying whether or not our faith is weak. Let's stop worrying whether or not we truly believe God's miracles are for us. In the midst of our storm, let's follow the example of the fearful disciples: Let's cry out to Jesus!

But wait. With the wind and waves of life's trials are crashing all around us, how is it possible to not be afraid? 

I believe the answer lies in the response of the Apostle Peter: "'Lord, if it's you,' Peter replied, 'tell me to come to you on the water.'" (Matt 14:28)

Peter was afraid; however, he knew that Jesus could save him, and this knowledge was enough to overcome his fear. 

How was it that Peter knew Jesus could save him? 

Peter walked and talked with Jesus daily. He had experienced Jesus' miracles, he was a personal recipient of Jesus' love. 

When we are surrounded by the wind and waves of the negative circumstances life throws our way, we, too, are afraid, and this is normal; but do we, like Peter, know that Jesus will save us? Do we have that faith in Him?

Because most of us must honestly say that we do not, the question becomes, how do we develop that faith in Jesus?

We do it the same way Peter did: By daily walking and talking with Him; By experiencing His miracles; By spending time reflecting on what Jesus has already done for us and for others. When we do, then we, like Peter, in the face of our storms, will be able to say, "Lord, if it's you...tell me to come to you on the water." (Matt 14:28)

So when Jesus does call us out upon the waters, how should we respond? Join us next Saturday for 'Oceans Deep, Part 5'. 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Have you ever taken the time to contemplate, I mean REALLY contemplate the depth of God's sacrifice to us through the death of Jesus Christ? Visit us online for the previously-published series,  "The Sufferings of Jesus". 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 10:05 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

June 21, 2016
Oceans Deep, Part 3

By Answers2Prayer 
  Last Saturday, in 'Oceans Deep, Part 2', we saw that if we take the time to contemplate God's miracles, in our own lives, in the Bible, and in the lives of those around us, when we enter our storms, we won't be so afraid. 

Today, let's take a look at the timing of Jesus' walking on the water:

Notice that the Bible records that Jesus didn't respond immediately to the disciples. We are told that the storm arose "later that night" (Matt 14:23), but we don't see Jesus responding until "Shortly before dawn..." (Matt 14:25)

I have no idea why Jesus waited, but the important thing to realize is that though Jesus doesn't always respond immediately, He does respond: "Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake." (Matt 14:25).

What might we have been saying to ourselves in the stead of the disciples? Something like, "Lord? I saw how You fed those people. I believed that You would carry me through this storm in my life; but here I am, in the midst of the worst storm ever, and you aren't here! Where are You? Why haven't You paid my bills? Why hasn't the tumor gone away? Why hasn't my husband been delivered from drugs? Why aren't my teens turning to You? Lord, You promised to never leave me or forsake me. Why then, aren't You here with me in the moment of my deepest trouble?"

Another very interesting point is that although Jesus was walking on the waters on the lake, He wasn't necessarily going directly out to help the disciples. When telling the exact same story, the book of Mark records a detail that is not mentioned in Matthew: "Shortly before dawn he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them..." (Mark 6:48). 

But wait a minute! If Jesus promises to never leave us or forsake us, then why did He walk out to the boat, only to pass them by?

I do not know exactly why Jesus didn't immediately go to the disciples, and I don't know why, after walking all the way out to them, He was simply going to pass them by. I can only speculate; but I invite you to speculate with me:

What if Jesus' purpose was to grow the faith of the disciples? If that were the case, then they needed to spend some time in the storm! It is hard indeed to exercise and grow our faith when everything is going good. 

And when Jesus came to them walking on the water, what if His purpose was not to get into the boat and calm the water? What if He simply wanted to remind the disciples that despite the storm, they were not alone? What if He wanted to show them that they, too, could walk on the surface of the storm? 

And in the midst of our own storms, when it seems like Jesus should have shown up and He hasn't, could it also be that His purpose is to grow our faith? That He simply wants to remind us that despite the storm, we are not alone? Does He perhaps want to show us, too, that despite the wind and the waves, we can follow His example and walk across the surface of our storms?

Think about it!

But wait...I can't walk on water. It isn't humanly possible. Join us next Thursday for Ocean's Deep, Part 4.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

God is concerned about even the minutest points of our lives, and if we let Him, He will guide us into the right decisions, 100% of the time! Our only job is to seek His guidance every step of the way. Visit us online for the previously-published series, "God Guides"!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:59 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
June 18, 2016
Oceans Deep, Part 2

By Answers2Prayer  Last Thursday, in 'Oceans Deep, Part 1', we took a brief look at the story of Peter walking on water, a story that anyone can relate to, and we saw how God has indeed called each of us out upon the waters, into situations where 'our feet may fail'. But it is there that we find Him in the mystery, and in the deep oceans of our trials, our feet will stand!

There are many lessons to be learned from this story about Peter, and these will be the focus of the next few devotionals. For today, let's take a look at the setting for the story, for therein we can glean some important words of encouragement for each of us on our walks through the storms of our lives.

This story actually takes place immediately after Jesus fed the 5000 with 5 loaves of bread and two small fish (See Matt 14:15-21). The Bible records that: 

"Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it." (Matt 14: 22-27). 

Let's remember that the disciples had just witnessed an incredible miracle. In fact, they had distributed the food and picked up the 12 baskets of leftovers! They had witnessed the multiplication of those 5 loaves and 2 small fish with their own eyes. Jesus could do anything. 

Except calm the storm. 

Isn't it interesting that it doesn't matter how many miracles of God we witness, even participate in, when we, like the disciples, realize that God can indeed do anything in our live: When the storms arise: "You're fired." Or "You have cancer." Or "I want a divorce." Or you are required to take on a triple load at work. Our response to such storms? Like the disciples, we tend to see that God can indeed to anything--except calm our storm. 

Our memories are short indeed.

Perhaps the disciples would have been well served at this point to begin reliving the miracle of the five loaves and two fish in their minds. Maybe this would have been a good time for a friendly walk down memory lane: (Peter) "Hey, can you believe what Jesus did? He actually fed all those people!" (Thomas) "Yeah, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes." (James) "And He didn't just give them enough to eat...There were leftovers! God's provision is truly amazing!" 

Had the discussion gone more along those lines, perhaps the disciples wouldn't have ended up so terrified.

Herein lies the important lesson for each of us: When our storms arise, and they will, let's try to spend a bit more time reminding ourselves of God's mercies, power and grace. Let's get into the word of God and relive the ancient stories of God's miraculous deliverances. Let's review God's miracles in our own lives. And perhaps if we do, we will not end up so terrified either.

Please join us next Tuesday for another powerful lesson on how to weather our storms: 'Oceans Deep, Part 3'. 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Burdened by endless trouble? Feel like you're stuck in the valleys of problems? Wonder why you can't spend at least SOME time on the mountain tops? Check out "Mountain Top Experiences", an eight part mini-series designed to help us view the peaks and valleys of life from GOD'S perspective!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 10:44 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
June 16, 2016
Oceans Deep, Part 1

By Answers2Prayer 
 God has been speaking to me through a powerful song this week, and I am impressed to share it with you. I have pasted the lyrics below, but I also invite you to listen to the song by Hillsongs United: Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) . You'll find it by clicking here on youtube. 

Take a few moments now to meditate upon the lyrics: 

Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) -- By Hillsongs Unted

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
When oceans rise

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

Oh, Jesus, you're my God!

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
I am Yours and You are mine"

As you read this song, you will notice, as I did, that the words say we are called "out upon the waters where feet may fail."

This is kind of a scary concept, wouldn't you say? I mean, who wants to go where you know your feet may fail?

But then, it's just a song, right? 

Or is it really more than that? 

Let's take a moment to look at the Biblical story this song is based upon: 

"Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. 'It's a ghost,' they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: 'Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid.' And Peter answered Him and said, 'Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.' So He said, 'Come.' And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, 'Lord, save me!' And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, 'O you of little faith, why did you doubt?' And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased." (Matt 14:22-32)

As each of us walks life, we can relate to Peter in the storm. Oh, our storms may not be literal ones that could overturn a fishing boat, but they are storms just the same. They may be financial difficulties, changes in health, relationship problems, car problems, appliances breaking down, problems with teens, etc. But just what our storms look like is completely irrelevant. What's important is that there are many lessons we can learn from this passage of scripture to help us during our storms, and these will be the focus of the upcoming 8 devotionals.

For today, I ask you to prayerfully meditate upon the words of the song, Oceans, for God has indeed called each of us out upon the waters where our feet may fail. But it is there that we find Him in the mystery, and in the deep oceans of our circumstances, whatever they may be, our feet will stand! 

Please join us on Saturday, for 'Ocean's Deep, Part 2'.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Do you have a prayer request? Do you know someone who needs to be prayed for? Prayer works! The Bible confirms this in James 5:16: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV) Send your prayer request here and let us pray in agreement with you! Matt 18:20: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (NIV) Hallelujah!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 4:20 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

June 14, 2016
The One Thing you Never Run Out of...

By Answers2Prayer 
"Dear friends, let us love one another, because love is from God, and everyone who loves has been fathered by God and knows God. 8 The person who does not love does not know God, because God is love." (1 John 4:7,8)

It was a sweltering hot, Summer's day and I was longing to go swimming at the local pool. Instead, I was riding in the back seat of the car as my parents drove to a friend's house. They were going to lend a hand to a church work camp repairing her roof and porch. As an eight year old boy I knew that there wouldn't be much for me to do and I was right. In the end I fetched a few hammers, threw away some scrap pieces of wood, and spent the rest of the time sitting in the yard watching.

The work camp was mostly made up of teenagers who had given up part of their Summer vacation to help others. They were supervised by the pastor and a few skilled carpenters who were also working free of charge. I spent most of that afternoon sitting in the shade while they sweated in the sunshine. They were cutting boards and hammering them in place. They were pulling out rotted tiles and nailing in new ones. They were scraping off the old paint and brushing on the new. They were doing it all too with an energy of joy. They shared stories and smiles. They shared jokes and laughter. They shared a Heavenly spirit of caring that was beautiful to behold.

Finally our friend called me into the house to help her pay them with the two things she could afford: sweet tea and smiles. I gingerly carried out the glasses to the workers who downed them with gusto. By the end of the day the three gallons of tea were gone. The workers were out of nails, paint, and lumber but the job was done. There was one thing left, however. It was the one thing that you never run out of. It was the one thing that you can't give away without having even more of it. It was Love. It lightened our spirits. It lifted our smiles. It made us feel at one with both Heaven and God. I went home with a heart full of it and was happier than any day at the pool could have made me.

Don't be afraid to share your love every chance you can then. Share it with your work. Share it with your smile. Share it with your life. You will never run out. You will always have more. And you will forever feel our Heavenly Father smiling upon you.

By Joseph J. Mazzella
Announcement:

That's it. You're in deep water now! What will you do? Will you sink? Swim? Or will you walk on the water? Check out "Oceans Deep", a miniseries by Lynona Gordon Chaffart, beginning Thursday of this week.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 6:46 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
June 11, 2016
Pots, Part 2

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  Two days ago, the Nugget featured a piece written by Nugget writer Elizabeth Prize, from "down under" in Australia, entitled "Pot Plants". In this devotional, Mrs. Price describes how the scrubbing of her blue and white flower pots compares to the scrubbing that Jesus does in our hearts. 

When she wrote this piece, she didn't know that way "up over" in Canada, this Nugget writer also had blue and white flower pots. In the course of accepting the piece for publication in the Nugget, these two writers exchanged pictures of their "blue and white" pots, and this writer got a chuckle out of suggesting that her own "blue and white pots" also needed scrubbing. 

The day went on, and the exchange about the pots was forgotten...by this writer at least. There was another concern, too big to overcome. I was afraid I had caused someone hurt, and my feeble attempts at righting the wrongs were being, seemingly, ignored. By the end of the day, I was feeling quite low, quite insignificant, quite insecure. I went to bed with these negative thoughts playing out in my head, and who is surprised to learn I didn't sleep well. Finally, after tossing and turning for what seemed hours, I got up and went downstairs. My phone was flashing, a sure sign that I had a message of some kind. I grabbed it and my glasses at the same time...Maybe this was the text message that would stop me from feeling so insecure and insignificant...

It wasn't. Or at least, it didn't seem so at first. Instead, it was an email from "down under" in response to the pictures I had sent about my blue and white pots (used by permission): "Wonderful! I love them and I too have bigger pots that are not a lot unlike yours. It is a sharing thing, and whenever I talk to/admonish/spoil/hug my pots, I will think of you and yours. You have shared a piece of yourself...The personal touch."

As I read the words, "I will think of you and yours", and "You have shared a piece of yourelf...The personal touch," I started to cry. Silly isn't it, to cry over an email about pots? But God was using this little exchange with dear Elizabeth to teach me a vitally-important lesson: I was allowing my entire sense of self-worth to be dictated by one broken relationship; but God was reminding me in His loving gentle way, through a sweet email from a dear friend who had no idea I was going through such times, that He is the One who defines my self-worth, not any one person or situation, but Him! And to prove it, He sent me reassurance of my self-worth through my dear friend all the way at the exact opposite side of the world from where I live.

Feeling low? Like your life isn't worth anything? Are you letting one person's opinion dictate your self-value? Remember my blue and white pots. Your life is infinitely valuable in so many immeasurable ways. You may not see it, but someone in this world does, and at the moment when you are feeling your lowest, God will send you that reassurance. That's how much He loves you!

Oh, and let's also remember that it is God and Him alone who can accurately measure our self-worth, and though we can and do make mistakes, if we are covered by His robe of righteousness, we are perfect in His eyes! 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Are you ever tempted to think that your sin has no consequence? After all, Jesus forgave ALL our sins! Even that one little time when we knew better, but it anyway! What could be the harm? Check out "Lessons From David's Fall," a mini-series designed to help us understand that EACH and EVERY ONE of our actions have a profound affect, not only on our own lives, but on the lives of thousands of others around us: Lessons From David's Fall 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 10:53 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
June 9, 2016
Pot Plants, Part 1

By Answers2Prayer 
  Some years ago I bought several lovely blue and white pots for growing small indoor plants. They were well made with glazed finish.

As time went on they had to be put outside where they were watered with bore water that left them tinged all over with a horrid brown tinge. Also they inevitably built up lots of dirt encrusted areas that ordinary cleaning could not shift.

After twenty years they were in disaster mode and as I looked them over one by one, I felt they could never, ever be restored to anything remotely like their true beauty.

But ever hopeful, I started scrubbing....and scrubbing....and scrubbing. I used hot water, loads of soapy stuff, some fierce cleaning fluid that could be a disaster, and horrible steel scrubbing pads. I scrubbed until my fingers were painful and near to bleeding and I had to put gloves on for protection. 

I scrubbed and soaked, scrubbed and soaked throughout the day and then began to see that a constant, harsh, particle-by-particle scrubbing was the only way to get results.

The pots began to respond and come back to their beautiful sheen. I rinsed them in clear water and my spirits lifted. After hours and hours of scrub-work, I could rejoice.

Then it was only if you lifted them to strong light and looked carefully, that you could see traces of the stains, one or two hair cracks on one lip, and a tiny speck chipped from another. 

At the end of the day I asked myself what I had learned that was of any value after so much dedication. 

Wasn't it all really a waste of time? Could I not have spent my time more profitably writing those letters I was always promising to write? Could I not have made a few phone calls to let others know I was thinking of them? Could I not have cleaned out a seriously neglected cupboard? 

My pots were ready now for growing flowers or bulbs, ready to be occupied with good soil and to grow and share all the beauty they could contain. 

Then I read the lesson from them that I needed to learn. Listen.

My Saviour scrubbed me till He spilled blood for me, "one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water," (John 19:34).

My Saviour soaked me in the Scriptures, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a dispenser of the thoughts and intents of the heart," (Hebrews 4:12)

My Saviour rinsed me in clear water, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptised every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit," (Acts 2:38)

My Saviour soaked in earth's good soil to fill me with it, "For as Jonas was three days in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth," (Matthew 12:40)

When I was ready, He let tiny flowers grow in His cleaned space, "For ye are bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's," (1st Corinthians 2:20).

With deep appreciation, I placed the garden pots in a sheltered area and said softly, "thank you Lord, for the lesson of the garden pots."

Elizabeth Price  
Announcement:

Ever wonder about the Priestly roll of the Lord, Jesus Christ? What is its importance, and how does it compare to the Levitical priesthood? Check out the mini-series, "Of Indy, Community and the Almighty"!  There are many types of crowns mentioned in the Bible. Why are there so many? Check out "The Crowning Glory" miniseries. 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:49 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

June 7, 2016
Simple Pleasures

By Answers2Prayer 
"You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." (Ps 16:11)

When I was a boy I didn't have a smart phone, home computers were unheard off, and our 13" television could only get one channel in clearly. Yet, I was never bored. When Spring arrived I would pull out my trusty bike and ride. I would pedal for hours, feel the wind on my face and laugh with joy as I rode down the hills. When Summer came I would find myself swimming every day at the local pool or the river down the hill from my home. I never got sunburned either because I was never out of the water long enough. When it was Fall my friends and I would play football for hours and when the leaves fell would rake them into huge golden and red piles to jump in. The first snows of Winter didn't stop the fun either. My brothers and I would have snowball fights and hike into the woods to cut down our Christmas tree. Later I would sit in my favorite chair by the warm, wood stove and read books that carried my imagination away to different lands and endless adventures.

Those simple pleasures always brought me so much fun, so much laughter, and so much happiness. There was nothing to be bored about because there was always something to do, something to enjoy, and something to love. I feel a bit sorry for the children of today because they are spending so much time watching and so little time living. 

One thing I am sure of, though, is that even in this technological world the simple pleasures of life can still soothe your soul. A hug still warms your heart. A walk in the woods still calms your spirit. Petting a dog, playing a game, holding a hand, and saying "I love you" still makes you feel joy. God loves us so much and God gives us the simple pleasures of life to enjoy and to share. Embrace them all. Welcome them into your day, take them into your heart, and share them with everyone. Live and love as a joyous Child of God today and always.

By Joseph J. Mazzella
Announcement:

It is planting season in the northern hemisphere, and many are going to what is now referred to as "deck gardens": Vegetables planted in pots. Did you ever wonder what the pot and its plants can teach you? Join us on Thursday and Saturday this week for "Pot Plants", a mini-series.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 9:37 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
June 4, 2015
It's Your Breath

By Answers2Prayer 
  Having spent nearly 25 years of my career as a Speech-Language Pathologist/Therapist working with people who have lost their voices, I have come to an understanding of how important breath is. To say nothing about the body's need for adequate breath to nourish our cells, to stimulate our thinking, to keep our bodies running, breath is also what powers the vocal folds and sets them into vibration. Without adequate breath, there is no hope of a strong, reliable, enduring voice. 

I would also learn over the years that most of us don't breathe optimally. First of all, we don't breathe right--we're born to breathe by displacing our bellies, but usually somewhere in life we switch to being chest, or even shoulder, breathers. In addition to this, we also don't tend to breathe deeply. As a result of these two problems, our bodies are forced to function with significantly less air than they were created to function with. Imagine how much better our bodies would function with maximal air!

As I was spending some quiet time with God this morning, it occurred to me that most Christians have also become shallow, inefficient spiritual breathers.

Consider this: "Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." (Gen 2:7).

It is literally God's breath of life that makes the difference between a dusty, lifeless shape on the ground and a living being. It is God's breath in our lungs, and it is that breath that brings life.

Just like most of us don't utilize our physical breath to its maximum potential, most Christians also do not utilize our spiritual breath optimally. We believe in Jesus for Salvation, but we still fear hell. We say that Jesus delivers, yet we continue to walk in our addictions. We proclaim that God heals, yet that healing continually evades us. We preach that Jesus is the source of comfort and joy, yet we battle depression. Our spiritual breaths are indeed, very shallow. 

Is this why our churches sometimes seem so dead? Because we aren't nourishing our spiritual organs and cells with adequate amounts of God's breath? 

Remember the vision of the dry bones? "The hand of the Lord came upon me and brought me out in the Spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full of bones. Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry." (Ez 37:1-2)

Have our hearts and our churches become like that valley full of very dry bones? 

Consider what God told Ezekiel about the valley of dry bones: "Then He said to me, 'Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, "Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!"'" (Ez. 37:11)

In other words, the dry bones in this vision represent loss of hope, the feeling of being cut off from God. Isn't that how so many Christians feel? 

Notice what happens when God breathes upon these dry bones: "'Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man...' So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army." (Ez. 37:9,10)

Imagine if God's breath entered all of our very dry bones. We would raise up a mighty army as well, one that will go out and build the church into a force that cannot be brought down. But we can't do this as long as we lay in the valley of dry bones.

So how do we breathe in God's breath of life?

First of all, by realizing that we already have God's breath in our lungs. Our job is to breathe it in much more deeply. We need for God to become our first priority. We need to put aside anything that might possibly stand between us. We need to spend time in the presence of God, allowing Him to feed and nourish us. We need to grow our faith in God, in the saving power of Jesus, in His Deliverance, in His healing, in His peace and wisdom and in every other good thing that comes from Jesus. We need to breathe in that breath of life and allow it to nourish and feed our dry bones, for when we do, our dry bones will also come to life, and we, too, will become a mighty army for the Lord. We will build up the "bride" of Christ, we will become immovable and unshakable.

Feeling a bit short on Spiritual breath? Feeling a bit dry spiritually-speaking? Breathe! Breathe in the breath of life that is already in your lungs, for it is truly God's breath in our lungs!

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Join us next week on Thursday and Saturday to learn some powerful lessons from flower pots: Pots! A mini-series by Elizabeth Price and Lyn Chaffart
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:33 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
June 2, 2016
How to find God's Will for Your Life

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us  Living out of God's will will bring pain. Being in God's will will bring peace.

"I made a big mistake," my friend said. She offered to drive a friend's car to the hospital one afternoon. As she left to come home it was dark and the parking lot was full. She hit the alarm, and followed the beep.

"I got in the car," she said. "I adjusted the seat, the mirrors, but the ignition key wouldn't turn. I tried and tried."

Moments later, she opened the door quickly and slipped out in seconds. She realized she was in the wrong car.

I almost laughed, until I realized that in the vehicle of life, we all make that mistake at one time or another. God said we're in this world, but we're not of this world. But do we listen? No. We try to fit where we don't belong. We adjust our life trying to make things work. We try to move forward according to our will and whims. Frustration visits often, and discouragement settles in.

That's because we still try to conform to this world's pattern. We work to pay bills. We buy things to look good. We dream big to soar high. We reach goals to feel proud.

But no matter how we try, we get nowhere because the ignition key just won't turn. We're stuck. Until we discover that seeking God's will is the key. And with that key then life turns. The ride is secure. Priorities change. The view improves, and the destination is sweet.

That's why God, the manufacturer of our destiny gave us the map to follow: "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." (Romans 12:2)

Father, I confess, I've been a fool reluctant to transform my mind and relentless in conforming to the world's ways. But thank you for your grace that gives us another chance. And with a transformed mind, life has meaning, our journey holds purpose, and our dreams have significance. Thank you for giving us the wisdom to be transformed in mind and heart. In Jesus's name, amen.

* How has your life been going?

* Are you driving down the road of life lined with purpose and meaning?

* How will you find God's Will for your life?

Janet Perez Eckles
If this message resonated with you, please visit Janet's cyberspace home for more inspiration.  
Announcement:

Ever wonder about the Omniscience of God? Ever wonder if little acts of obedience are important? Check out the mini-series, "Omniscient God" by clicking here.  
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 01 Jun 2016, 1:20 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

May 31, 2016
Our Father in Heaven, Hallowed be Your Name

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us
I'm glad I grew up in a church where The Lord's Prayer in unison was repeated meaningfully. We did not rush: Even we children could keep up, conscious of the meanings as we prayed with everyone.

Jesus said, 
"when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans .... 
This is how you should pray:
'Our Father in Heaven, 
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one'" (Matthew 6:7-13).

Now, I like to repeat The Lord's Prayer in the morning as I gaze out the window while my oatmeal porridge bubbles in the microwave.

But when I sometimes caught myself babbling meaninglessly, I had to trace back to where my mind separated itself from the meaning of the words. Then I tried something to keep my mind with the words of the prayer: I used the prayer to guide and expand meanings and related ideas for my prayers to begin the day. For instance, like this:

'Our Father in Heaven, (And, Father, you are also right here with me in your Spirit.) 

hallowed be your name, (May I hold your name holy to the extent that others will be influenced to do so too.)

your kingdom come, (Your kingdom come in all the earth -- especially we pray for the people suffering in Nepal. Send people to share you Spirit, your Word, your physical help.)

your will be done (Give me, please today, your words of assurance of your love and grace and eternity to speak to the gentleman I will visit who's dying with cancer.)

on earth as it is in heaven. (Keep me reading and obeying your Word so my words and actions will be in line with your way and will.)

Give us today our daily bread, (For your bountiful supply I praise you. Cause me to choose healthful foods -- and not too many.)

Forgive us our debts, (Those hasty words for which I must apologize.)

as we also have forgiven our debtors. (Strengthen me to forgive instantly.)

And lead us not into temptation (Save us from selfishness. Cause us to be liberal in our giving for your Kingdom's expansion.)

but deliver us from the evil one.' (Shield us from Satan's subtle wiles.) 

This way of praying will be different and new every time it is used. Enjoy it, I pray, for Jesus sake, Amen.

Isabel Alison
Announcement:

Just what IS love, anyway? Check out "Lessons In Love From 1 Corinthians 13", a mini-series by Soyna Richards, to find out! 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 28 May 2016, 11:49 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
May 28, 2016
I Lift up my Eyes...

By Answers2Prayer
  God gave me a powerful Psalm this morning. 

It wasn't the first time I had been given this text, and as I heard the familiar words playing themselves out in my mind, my thoughts went back to that day, over 40 years ago, when God first spoke to me through this Psalm...

I was in Grade 12, and as an elective, I had taken Wilderness Survival. One of the course requirements was a survival trip -- a trip into the wilderness with nothing but a basic First Aid kit, a coat, a compass, a small pot for boiling water, a firestarter kit, and some fishing line, -- and one of the requirements of the survival trip was to spend one night solo. 

And so it was that I found myself all alone, curled around a small fire built up against the face of a large rock, trying to stay warm through the very long hours of that seemingly-endless night. Needless to say, sleep didn't come. Every rustle of the breeze set my heart to beating faster, and it wasn't long before I was jumping at the tiniest sound. 

As I was attending a Christian school, our instructor had also allowed us to take a small Bible along with us, and one of the requirements of the survival trip was to memorize Ps. 121. To date, there had always something more important to do on the trip -- things like scrounging for anything edible, etc. -- and I hadn't taken the time to even look up the text; but on that long, dark and cold night, I found myself pulling out my Bible and thumbing to Ps. 121:

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains--
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip--
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you--
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm--
he will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore." (Ps. 121 NIV)

I'm not sure if there would have been a better text for our instructor to ask us to memorize, for the words were exactly what my terrified mind needed to meditate upon. It was, perhaps, one of the first times in my life that I actually experienced the joy and peace that can come only from the presence of God. 

As the years have passed, I have experienced God many more times. Nonetheless, I am still tempted to be afraid, to become stressed, to be anxious, each and every time things don't go the way I expect them to. This morning was no different, and when God reminded me of that text, it once again had its desired effect: I don't know what today or tomorrow will bring, but I know that the God of the universe holds me in the palm of His hand, and I have absolutely nothing to fear.

As I sit here typing this devotional, however, there is one phrase that jumps out at me like never before: "I lift up my eyes..."

All these years I've read into this psalm all the wonderful protection God gives me; yet I've always missed the message of the very first line, the message that says I have to do something: I have to lift up my eyes! 

Is this why I so easily forget? Is this why the worries and stresses and fears continue to plague me day in and day out? Is it because I do not lift up my eyes?

Father God, help me to remember to "lift up my eyes" to You at ALL times! That is my responsibility, and when I do so, You are faithful to fulfill the rest of the promises: You will never leave me or forsake me; You will never slumber or sleep; You will be my shade and shelter, and no harm will come to me; You will watch over my life; and You will watch over my coming and going forever...Thank You, Father! In the mighty and powerful name of Jesus, Amen.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 27 May 2016, 8:57 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

May 26, 2016
The Mist

By Answers2Prayer 
 There was a mist this morning when I first looked out the window. A major fog had rolled in, obscuring my vision of the yard...

But wait. How could it be foggy? It was, according to the weathernetwork, -14 degrees C! Not exactly weather for the kind of fog I saw in my yard...

And then I saw it: It wasn't the yard that was foggy at all, it was my window. I had just boiled a kettle of water for my morning tea, and condensation from the steam of the kettle had built up on the window.

As I think about this, I realize that there are many things that "fog" our vision. The negative circumstances that we all go through have the power, just like the steam from my tea kettle, to "fog over" the windows of our lives, making everything seem murky and dark.

As I stood at that window this morning, I realized that all I had to do was to reach up and swipe away the condensation, and my view of my yard would be as clear as ever. 

The same is true with life's "condensation." It's true that we can't just "swipe away" the negative things from our lives; but wiping away the fog on my window this morning wouldn't have removed it either. It would have simply made a peephole that I could see through; one that would have allowed me to notice that the sun was shining, that the frost from last night's freeze was indeed, beautiful, and that my dog was enjoying herself rolling in the frozen grass. It would have allowed me to realize that God was still in charge, and He was running things quite well, despite my foggy window.

In the face of something as devastating as the circumstances that we all face daily, how can we "swipe away" the "fog" that clouds our view of life? How can we focus beyond our own negative circumstances?

Jesus said something very interesting to His disciples: "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." (Luke 10:21) 

In other words, when our eyes are blinded, we cannot "clear away the fog;" but God, in His wisdom, reveals the hidden things to "little children."

Jesus also tells us that we need to become like "little children:" "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 18:3)

A little child is trusting and humble, and when we put our trust in God and Him alone, when we humble ourselves before Him in submission to His wisdom, knowledge, love and will, we become "like little children," and our eyes are opened to the things of the kingdom. It is in humble submission to God that we can "clear away the condensation" on the "windows" of our souls, that we can again focus beyond the circumstances we are going through and rejoice in the beauty of the world God has put around us. It is in total trust in God that we can begin to see the greater picture. It is when we stop trying to ask the "why me, God?" question that we can begin to understand God's take on our circumstances.

And, food for thought, Jesus many times said plainly that miracles were possible only through faith (see Matt 15:28), and that miracles didn't happen because of lack of faith (see Matt 13:58). Is it possible that when we become like "little children," in total trust in and submission to God, that we open the door for our own miracles?

Think about it.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

It is never easy to do what is right, but it is always the right thing to do. But what if doing what is right gets you into trouble? What then?  Check out "Yes Boss!!!" a mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan, designed to help us understand the importance of doing the right thing, as well as the ultimate blessings that will result!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 25 May 2016, 6:44 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
May 24, 2015
Grumbling is Contageous
By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us
Throughout the book of Exodus and Numbers the Israelites complained. God, through Moses, had battered the Egyptians with ten plagues until Pharaoh finally agreed to let the Israelites leave after God struck all of the first-born of Egypt, both people and animals. As they made their way to the Red Sea, God moved on Pharaoh's heart to change his mind and chase the children of Israel, to re-capture their slaves they had become dependent on to build cities and perhaps even the pyramids (the Bible does not say that the Israelites worked on the pyramids, but the secular historian, Josephus, in his work entitled "The Antiquities of the Jews," does). 

When the Israelites saw the Egyptian army coming for them this is what they said in Numbers 14:11-12, "They said to Moses, 'Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt? Didn't we say to you in Egypt, 'Leave us alone; let us serve the Egyptians'? It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert!'"

God, in a dramatic why, parted the Red Sea, saved the Israelites, and drowned the entire Egyptian army. And in the beginning of Exodus 15 they sing and praise Him, but the party didn't last long. By the end of Exodus 15, after three days without finding water, they were at it again. They complained about the lack of water, and when they found water, it was bitter. God caused Moses to throw a stick of wood into the water and it became drinkable (the first water purifier). By the next chapter, it is the lack of food they are complaining about. Again they say that they should have stayed in Egypt where they had food instead of starving to death is the desert. God gave them quail at evening and manna in the morning. 

Moving into Chapter 17, we again have a water problem combined with a death wish. The people complain they are thirsting to death. God brings water from a rock. There is more, but suffice it to say, at every stumbling block they tripped. The next issue was scouting out the Promised Land, which was indeed "flowing with milk and honey," but also was occupied by giants and people in fortified cities. Out of the 12 spies only two, Joshua and Caleb, suggested they push on, but the other 10 said they should not go. Again they accuse the Lord of bringing them out of Egypt to kill them! 

This was not the end of their complaining, but you get the idea. Complaining about what God has provided for us is sin, but there are other consequences also. When we complain about what God has given us, or not given us, others may be listening and imitating us. Remember the old saying, "little pitchers have big ears?" Our kids are taking their cues from us, and while they may get further than we did, the things we speak sometimes come back to haunt us or our decedents.

After entering the Promised Land, the Lord gave the Israelites a great victory over Jericho, but shortly thereafter things took a turn for the worst. Although the Israelites defeated Jericho, a large fortified city, they were unable to conquer the smaller city of Ai even though the Israelite army was much larger than they. It was, we find out later, related to the sin of Achan in taking some of the treasure from Jericho that was to be dedicated to the Lord. But hear what Joshua, the brave spy, says at this defeat. 

And Joshua said, "Alas, Sovereign Lord, why did you ever bring this people across the Jordan to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us? If only we had been content to stay on the other side of the Jordan!" (Joshua 7:7)

Joshua had heard his parents, grandparents, and relatives ask this same question over and over during the 40 years that they wandered in the desert until all the unfaithful ones had died before God allowed the others to enter the land He promised. 

Although Joshua was strong in the Lord and had seen His mighty works, as soon as something unexpected happens, he joins his voice to the cries of the Israelites accusing God of planning their destruction. I know that sounds harsh to say he accused God, but that's what he did and he learned it at his father's knee. 

Our inheritance may include both good and bad, but it is up to us which we choose to remember. Throughout history people have chosen to do better than their parents in their words, deeds, and actions. Racial prejudice carries from generation to generation, but it only takes one generation to break that cycle. Joshua had successfully broken the cycle of not trusting God enough not to question His plans, and yet, when the chips were down, he fell back on his parent's way. 

Happily, Joshua rooted out the offender and went on into the Promised Land, but this is a word for us and our children to seek to carry on only good things, and to teach only good to our children. Before you speak or act, think about who is watching and listening to you and what effect that may have on future generations.

Sonya Richards
Announcement:

The early church united in prayer, and as a result, miracles upon miracles happened. Sadly, that unity experienced by the early church has been shredded in modern times by differences of opinion and doctrinal disputes. Just what does the Bible have to say about doctrine? Check out the mini-series, "True Doctrine: A Pentacost Message"!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 21 May 2016, 8:13 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
May 21, 2016
An Abundance of Revelation

By Answers2Prayer 
  I am sure that many of you have received, at one time or another, a message from God. I am also sure that the moment He spoke will forever be engraved in your hearts. In fact, some of you may have received more than one message from the Lord, and there are a few who receive regular messages. But why such a variance in frequency amongst believers? Isn't hearing God's voice one of the gifts of Salvation? Shouldn't we all be receiving an abundance of revelation? 

If you look through the Bible, you will see that a variance in frequency of revelation is common. Some in the Bible only received one or two recorded messages from God. Hagar is a good example (See Genesis 21), as is King Belteshassar (See Daniel 5) and King Nebuchadnezzar (See Daniel 2 & 4). When we study the Scriptures, however, we also see that there are many who received multiple revelations from God: Abraham, Daniel, David, Isaiah, etc. 

Why such a variance in frequency of God's revelations? 

I believe that at least part of the answer can be found in the story of Samuel. 

As we know, despite the fact that Eli the High Priest's reputation as a father was poor (see 1 Samuel 2:12-17, 22-26), Samuel was placed by his mother into Eli's care at a very young age (see 1 Samuel 1:24-28). During this sad time in the history of the priesthood, Eli received messages from the Lord through prophets; but that they did not have any impact on his sons' wickedness (1 Samuel 2:22-26). Then we see the Lord beginning to reveal Himself to Samuel through Samuel's famous nighttime calling (1 Samuel 3:1-15), and we see that Samuel, after this, had many, many personal encounters with God. 

Why did God speak directly to Samuel, but not to Eli? Why did God visit Samuel many times, and not just once?

I believe the answer lies, in part anyway, in the recipient's response to God's messages. Eli's messages, warning against his sons, did nothing to change the situation. Samuel's response, however, was different. Though he received a very difficult message, one that kept him from sleeping the rest of the night: "So Samuel lay down until morning, and opened the doors of the house of the LORD. And Samuel was afraid to tell Eli the vision." (1 Sam 3:15, NKJV), when Eli asked him about the message, "Samuel told him everything, and hid nothing from him" (1 Samuel 3:18a). Interestingly, the very next verse tells us that God continued to reveal Himself regularly to Samuel: "So Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground. And all Israel from Dan to Beersheba knew that Samuel had been established as a prophet of the LORD. Then the LORD appeared again in Shiloh. For the LORD revealed Himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the LORD." (1 Sam 3:19-21, NKJV)

What about us? Do we take God's revelations seriously? Do we share them? Do we allow them to work change in our hearts? Do we use them in their intended fashion? Do we give glory to God when we receive them? Or do we bury them, pretend they never happened, downplay them, or convince ourselves that they are not of God?

Like Samuel, we need to take God's revelations seriously. We need to apply them to our lives, allowing them to work change in our hearts, and if the message includes someone else, we need to share it. 

My youngest son had a Samuel experience when he was about 7 years old. God visited him in the night and mapped out for him his life's work. He shared it with his parents, and he began to plan his life around this God-given goal. True enough, there were times throughout the years that he turned away from that message, but God always brought him back. My son is now in Bible school preparing himself for the calling God placed on his heart at age 7. Any wonder that he regularly hears from the Lord? 

Let's resolve together to recognize that the voice of the Lord is special. Let's act upon it. Let's give God the glory for revealing Himself to us, for when we do, we may be opening the door for many further revelations! 

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:

Sometime early in His ministry, Jesus had an interesting encounter with a Pharisee named Nicodemus. We aren't told much about this particular Pharisee, but Jesus' short encounter with him, recorded in John 3:3-20, is packed with essential life-giving nuggets of Truth. Please check out "Jesus and Nicodemus," A Study on Rebirth!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 20 May 2016, 10:59 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

May 19, 2016
What you can do Today

By Answers2Prayer
  I was the third car back in a long line. We were stuck in the middle of town while the water company dug through the pavement to reach a leaking water line. I looked around the street while I waited not knowing that I was about to witness a minor miracle.

As I looked at one old house I saw a young mother walking quickly into it. Her face held a curious combination of stress, worry, and silent desperation. Her eyes looked like they had been crying for a long time. In her arms her 3 year old girl seemed to have absorbed her fear and was clutching tightly around her Mom's neck. Ten minutes later I watched as the mother and child came back out. Their faces had been transformed. The mother's smile was big and her eyes were bright. The little girl was laughing and skipping around her Mom. The one other difference was the big bag of food the Mom now held. The old house I later learned was the home of a local food pantry.

Since that day I have twice used what little I had to help that food pantry to restock their shelves. It felt so good to be able to help them help others. It felt so wonderful knowing that I was working with God to keep the miracles going. It felt so right sharing my love to make this world a better place.

What can you do today to make this world a better place? Today you can help fill a hungry child's belly. Today you can give a struggling family hope. Today you can ease another's sadness with your smile and kindness. Today you can uplift another with your joy. Today you can make a minor miracle with your caring heart. Today you can send out ripples of love that have no end. Today you can use what you have to make Earth a little more like Heaven. Today you can make God smile and the angels sing. Do what you can today!

"And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.'  Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food." (Matt 10:7-10)

By: Joseph J. Mazzella  
Announcement:

Hounded by problems? Have troubles become your "norm?" Do you find it hard to hold on to faith in the midst of dire need? God know! Check out Victory in Trouble, a 4-part mini-series by Lyn Chaffart, designed to help you be victorious through your troubled times.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 18 May 2016, 9:53 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

May 17, 2015
Elusive

By Answers2Prayer 
"...may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you." (Psalm 40:16 and Psalm 70:4)

How difficult it was to be still long enough for one of the beautiful butterflies to land on the back of my granddaughter's hand! She desperately wanted one of these elusive creatures to alight on her and waited ever so patiently. 

When she ran out of patience, she carefully reached down and picked one off a leaf as it was resting there.

A butterfly has about a three week lifespan. It flutters, darts around, lands and then leaves momentarily. Happiness is like the elusive butterfly and short lived.

Joy, on the other hand, can be an ongoing and permanent. Happiness, although circumstantial, as a byproduct of deep Joy. 

Joy in the Lord, a peace in Who God is, and a confidence in Whose you are. Joy is not elusive; God is with you. 

That's good news

Sally I. Kennedy
Announcement:

Feeling a little lost in this world? Patricia Quigley, a Nugget writer, has composed a song entitled: I'm Not From This World, which she sings with her granddaughter. You can view this song on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3Qq0UP8L0
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top