Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 111 on Thu 12 Dec 2013, 2:28 am
Latest topics
» ISRAEL VIDEO'S
Today at 3:23 pm by Admin

» THE CLARION PROJECT
Today at 2:42 pm by Admin

»  HONEST REPORTING Defending Israel from Media Bias plz read REGULAR UPDATES
Today at 2:18 pm by Admin

» WORLD ISRAEL NEWS
Today at 1:49 pm by Admin

» HEAVEN LETTERS
Today at 12:34 pm by Admin

» Daily Disciples
Today at 11:43 am by Admin

» SHOEBAT
Yesterday at 11:27 pm by Admin

» CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK
Yesterday at 10:51 pm by Admin

» FRANCIS FRANGIPANE MINISTRIES
Yesterday at 10:40 pm by Admin

» Delrifkah: HEBREW SAGE MIGHT SAY.
Yesterday at 10:38 pm by Admin

» NUGGET Today's Devotional
Yesterday at 10:35 pm by Admin

» ENDTIME HEADLINES
Yesterday at 9:18 pm by Admin

» Heavy gunfire reported outside royal palace in Riyadh (VIDEOS)
Yesterday at 7:59 pm by Admin

» Mrs. P's Haven of Refuge Inspirational
Yesterday at 7:21 pm by Admin

» BREITBART NEWS
Yesterday at 6:06 pm by Admin

» EVIDENCE FOR THE RESURRECTION
Yesterday at 5:17 pm by Admin

» Daily Disciples
Yesterday at 3:58 pm by Admin

» George Soros
Yesterday at 3:49 pm by Admin

» OPCW confirms visit to site of alleged chemical attack in Douma, Syria
Yesterday at 3:13 pm by Admin

» Pres TRUMP Welcomes Kim's Nuke Freeze announcement.
Yesterday at 3:01 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 22 of 42 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32 ... 42  Next

Go down

Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 10:03 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
October 19, 2013
Of "Ish" and "Stood Up", Part 2
By Answers2Prayer 

Last week I bemoaned the fact that I am too "ancient" to understand the "talk" of the modern younger generation. But I can get even. I, too, speak a language that is "foreign" to them. 

Take for example, this conversation I had with my son after learning that his Valentine's date didn't happen: 

"So you got stood up, did you?" 

His response? "What? Stood up what?"

In the end, I had to explain to him what the expression meant...

Last week we saw how God's Word is written in "code" so to speak, so that it cannot be understood without the help of God's Spirit. But as I think farther about all of this, it occurs to me that God's Word isn't the only thing that can be hard to understand in the life of the Christian. Is there an "interpreter" for why we have to go through trouble? Why we get sick? Why we have money problems? Is there an interpreter who will help us understand why our loved ones die? 

Yes, in the midst of heavy trials, the meaning can be as obscure as the expression "stood up" was to my 20 year-old, and we stress out with questions of "why me? Why?"

Early this past Thursday morning, I awoke with an upset stomach. It wasn't long before what began as a tiny tummy ache escalated, and I soon found myself being purged of my most recent meals, with symptoms lasting well into Friday. I would learn later Thursday morning, when I called in to work to say I was sick, that I was one of five who were suffering similar symptoms, and by Friday, I was one of ten.  Each of us had been at a Baby Shower on Tuesday evening, and there were suspicions being raised as to the purity of the food at the restaurant we were at. 

But not everyone got sick. At least 25 people at that shower did not! Why me? God? You promised to protect my health! Why couldn't You have made me one of the 25 who didn't get sick???

Yup, I definitely needed an "interpreter", because I just didn't get it! 

Friday morning dawned dark and snowy. We were in the thralls of a major winter storm that dumped more than 35 cm of snow on our region. Now this is considered to be a lot for the region I live in. In fact, it was called the worst storm of the past five years. Schools were closed, many places of business were closed, and citizens were all encouraged to stay off the roads. Naturally, not everyone could followed this advice, and as a result, the police and tow-trucks were busy clearing up accidents and pulling cars out of ditches. 

Unlike the schools, my place of work never closes. (Understandable! I work in a hospital!) Whenever a storm comes through, I must take my life into my hands and slip and slide to work. It just isn't fair! 

But this year I didn't have to put my life, and the lives of other motorists on the road, in danger. Why?  Because I had contracted a stomach bug! Thank you, Lord!

It's true that the reason behind every problem that comes our way is not so quickly "interpreted", but if we are open to God's Spirit, He will open our blind eyes and help us see! 

Take, for example, the car crash my kids were in last summer. Totalled my car. But in the end, my car was in better shape than it had been before the crash, and I was only $350.00 out of pocket. 

And then there was my recent bout with Breast Cancer. 

Now hold on, Lyn," you say, "Even you can't find anything to be thankful about with that!â€Â

Oh, but I can! 

You see, I now take a certain medication.  Although I was dreading it, it has turned out that as a result of the medication, which came as a result of the cancer, I no longer suffer from the multiple, severe gastric symptoms that have been dragging me down for the past 15 years! And even more, the lessons I learned, and the closeness I felt to God through this experience, made it all worthwhile!

And if I think back to every "bad" incident that has happened in my life, I see where God has somehow worked it out for the good. I can truly understand God's advice to us in His Word: "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials..." (Jas 1:2, NKJV). 

But I have to be open to seeing. 

My son is open to learning my expressions. He, in fact, invites my explanations because he wants to understand. 

In the same way, I have to be open to seeing things from God's perspective. I need to allow Him to speak Truth into my life, I need to "seek" His still, small voice: "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (Jas 1:5, NKJV)

Friends, the next time you find yourselves in a situation that is difficult to understand, I invite you to open up your hearts to seeing things from God's perspective! When you do, I can assure you that you, too, will understand! 

And maybe you'll learn a bit of new vocabulary, too!

Ta ta! (Now there's an expression that hasn't been used in the past 50 years...) 
In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries. 
Announcement:

Wondering how to improve your "prayer closet" experience?  Join us on Tuesdays for The Lord's Prayer, a mini-series by Sonya Richards.
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://worldwidechristians.6forum.info

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 18 Oct 2013, 7:52 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
October 17, 2013
Step it Up
By Answers2Prayer 

"...meant it for evil, but God meant it for good..." (Genesis 50:20)

Ever wonder why things seem to go wrong when you are trying to do everything right? Chances are it has nothing to do with you. Every time things happen, that the enemy means for bad in your life, God is able to turn it around. 

I've heard it described as a baseball game; one inning the other team scores. Then the Lord has to step it up a notch and He wins the next inning, etc, etc. Keep in mind, He will prevail. He alone is sovereign; He alone is the LORD. Always was, still is, always will be.

Put Him first in your life; He'll give you everything else you need. "Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4) And remember you are an overcomer! You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because "the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." (1 John 4:4)  And, "everyone born of God overcomes the world." (1 John 5:4)

Trust Him in the middle of the inning, when it is not going so well, to turn things around for you. He will step it up and take care of whatever it is that's going on in your life, and meet you at that point of need. "My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)

That's good news.

Inspirational messages, Sally I. Kennedy 2013

Announcement:

The book of John takes us through many deep discussions that Jesus gave at various times in His ministry. Please click here for Study #1 -- JESUS AND NICODEMUS; Study #2 -- THE WOMAN AT THE WELL; Study #3 -- AT THE POOL OF BETHESDA; and Study #4 -- THE BREAD OF LIFE.  The fifth study in this series will be appearing in the Saturday Nuggets in the month of November.  Please join us on Saturday in November for The Shepherd and His Flock: A series focusing on the discourse in John 9!
©Copyright 2011 Answers2Prayer | Matt 10:8 "Freely you have received, freely give."
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:23 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
October 15, 2013
The Lord's Prayer, Part 7
By Answers2Prayer
Part Six talked about the respect we are to have for the name of The Lord. Today we will get our marching orders as we go about spreading the gospel into all the land as Jesus dictates.

"your kingdom come" (Matthew 6:10 NIV)

Someday Jesus will return to the earth and set up His Kingdom. Until that time, we are to be working to build His Kingdom. In Hebrews 11:9-10 the Bible says, "By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God."

Just as Abraham did not put down permanent roots where he was, we are not to be too comfortable here in this world. God does not begrudge us possessions and comforts, but we must not allow anything to come between God and us. Abraham could not love Isaac more than he loved God; he had to be willing to give him up should God require. Instead of spending our time solely on ourselves, we are to be about the Father's business until Jesus returns. And what is that business, exactly?

Jesus commanded his disciples to "go and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:19) and our mission is the same. When we pray, "Your kingdom come" we are really saying, Lord, what can we do for You to further Your purposes in this world? I will do whatever is required. Let us say, as Isaiah did in Isaiah 6:8, "here I am Lord, send me."

Father, thank You for allowing us to work for and further Your kingdom. Help us to see the ones who are hurting and need Your love. Let us be bold for You and to declare the name of Jesus as the only name that save unashamed and unapologetically. In Jesus' name, amen.

Thank you for coming along on this journey with me. Next time we will talk about God's will for us and what action is required on our part as we partner with Almighty God and allow Him to do all that He desires for us.

Yours in Christ,
Sonya Richards
Announcement:
Ever wonder about the Omniscience of God? Ever wonder if little acts of obedience are important? Check out the mini-series, "Omniscient God" by clicking here.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 12 Oct 2013, 9:09 pm

Welcome to the NuggetOctober 12, 2013
Of "Ish" and "Stood Up", Part 1
By Answers2Prayer
"...and ik ppl..."

Any North American under 25 will have no problem understanding this piece of a message texted to me by my son last Monday.

Unfortunately, though I am North American, I am not under 25, and I did have trouble understanding it! In fact, even my office mate, who is just slightly over 25, had no clue!

This made me think of all the "new" words that have crept into written English in the past 10 years. Consider for a moment the following:

RU
Idk
lol
rof
thx
O.O
XD
D:
...to name a few. And the spoken language has also changed. Consider these words:

"Snap" -- Believe me, it doesn't mean that you press two pieces of metal together to hold your pants closed, and neither does it refer to the sound made by the fingers. It doesn't even mean to speak sharply, or that what you want to accomplish is easy!

And then there is "ish". Looks like there's a letter missing, doesn't it? I mean, this could be "dish" or "fish" or even "wish". No. No letters missing whatsoever!

And what about "dis"? A prefix, right? You "dis"like someone. You hold someone in "dis"dain. You "dis"locate your elbow. But the younger generation uses it as a stand-alone word...A verb, even! You "dis" something...

I could go on, but I think you get the point: Language is changing, and old-timers like me aren't changing quickly enough to keep up!

Who cares, you ask? After all, "we", the "oldies", speak the "correct" English...(though residents of the UK would likely beg to differ...)

But having a clue what some of these words mean would certainly help me when communicating with my teens, and even my younger patients at work! Sometimes I wish I had a translator in my head!

Before I truly came to know Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, reading the Bible was like listening to the teens of today. The words were there, they sounded familiar, but their meaning escaped me completely. How people found pleasure and comfort in reading God's Word completely eluded me. It was a definitely a chore, something I did because it was required, and not out of pleasure.

I've heard it asked many times why the Bible couldn't be written in such a way that we could understand it. In fact, Jesus' disciples asked the same question: "And the disciples came and said to Him, 'Why do You speak to them in parables?'" (Matt 13:10)

Jesus was telling obscure stories that needed to be explained! Why couldn't He just speak plainly?

(That's what I ask my teens on a regular basis!)

Jesus' answer is interesting: "...I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand." (Matt 13:13)

Why would they not see, hear or understand?

"For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, And their eyes they have closed, Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them." (Matt 13:15-16 NKJV)

It wasn't that what Jesus said was so difficult to understand. It was that the hearts of the people were so hardened that they couldn't understand it! If Jesus had spoken to them "plainly", they still wouldn't have understood!

Even if the people's hearts were hardened, doesn't it seem a bit cruel that the only words that would "unharden" them were spoken in obscurity?

No, friends, it was in the ultimate design of God that His Word not be written plainly.

Why, you ask?

Because God's Word is living and active (See Hebrews 4:12). Every chapter and every verse is laced with deep meaning that speaks to each of our unique situations! It doesn't speak to me the same way it speaks to you, because our situations are not the same! Therefore, God wrote His Word in "code" so to speak, so that it could only be understood through the help of a "translator", One who would be faithful in "translating" that "code" in exactly the way we need to have it "translated" at any given moment in time!

And just who is this "Translator"?

The Spirit of the Living God: "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16) "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes--He will guide you into all truth." (John 16:13)

Yes, friends, who better to interpret God's Word than its Author?

Would you join me, before each and every time you open God's Word, in praying the prayer of Ephesians 1:18? Lord, that the eyes of my understand be enlightened, that I may know what is the hope of Your calling, what are the riches of the glory of Your inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of Your power towards us who believe...

Oh, and my son later translated his text message for me, and for the sake of everyone out their over 25, I will give you the translation: "...Ik ppl..." means "I know people". As simple as that. How silly I felt that I needed to have it interpreted. And when we ask God to open the eyes of our understanding, it is amazing how quickly God's meaning is spoken into our hearts!

But we're talking about God's Word here. Aren't there other situations that arise in the life of the Christian that are equally as hard to interpret as "text talk"? Join us next week for "Of Ish and Stood Up", Part 2!

In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, with Answers2Prayer Ministries.
Announcement:

Wondering how to improve your "prayer closet" experience? Join us on Tuesdays for The Lord's Prayer, a mini-series by Sonya Richards.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 11 Oct 2013, 10:13 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
October 10, 2013
It is "All" There, Part 5
By Answers2Prayer

Okay folks, today we come to the concluding section of our long journey of studying the parable of the Good Samaritan. As always the best is reserved for the last, so here goes...

9. Comforter

Mind you, the compassionate Samaritan after saving the robber's victim and nursing him back to health did not depart from the scene just like that. He left him in the safe custody of the Inn-keeper. Job entrusted to the Innkeeper by the Good Samaritan would be considered to be complete, only when the injured victim of the robbers regains his original health from before the murderous attack.

"The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said." (Luke 10:35)

Our Redeemer, too, after emancipating us from a spiritual slavery, has left us in the custody of the Comforter -- The Holy Spirit -- who is completing the remaining job, that of transforming us into a Christ-like image (2 Cor. 3:18), which Adam had originally (Gen 1:27) before the Fall!!!

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; ...No, I will not abandon you as orphans..." (John 14:15-18)

Christ's First advent was not only about merely saving us from sins but saving us in order we get back the image we had lost at the fall. The Divine process of we regaining the lost image is set rolling in us the moment we are born again. If by His stripes, we are healed (Is. 53:5), would we not get back the pristine pre-fall figure again by His disfigurement (Is. 52:14)!!!

10. Coming Again

"and when I return..." (Luke 10:35)

Hey, the Good Samaritan has promised to return. Yes, the Master shall return first to the mid sky to rapture His Church.

Are there signs preceding the Church rapture? Amongst others, what are the two distinct signs of recent times that trumpet the truth about the last trumpet call signaling the Church's rapture (1 Cor 15:52/ 2 Thess 4:16)? Consider this verse: "When the Son of Man returns, it will be like it was in Noah's day." (Matt 24:37). What two evils conspicuously marked Noah's time? Violence and corruption, for you ladies and gentleman (See Gen. 6:12-13)! Do I need to furnish proof to substantiate these plain facts? Does not media overflow with accounts of terror strikes (now there female suicide bombers also), feudal killings in real and reel life (minus a smoking gun or a bloody knife the macho-image of any cine hero in a poster is said to be incomplete) are a way of life now?

Some irrefutable proofs here...

In Denver the other day, what came was not Dark Knight but even a Darker night experience, which victims (who survived) would like to forget. There they waited for Batman instead arrived a gun-man with a "gun-spitting" fire.

Sky-rocketing violence everywhere...tell-tale signs:

Is Jesus right only when it comes to his sayings such as "Those who live by the Sword, die by it" (Matt 26:52). Why shouldn't we take His other Prophecies as regards His Second Coming seriously, just as we take earnestly his time-tested ones such as the one quoted above? No cherry-picking please...

And Corruption...oh boy...oh boy...

It is "news" nowadays only, if there is no scam in 24 hours!!!

So will the "Good Samaritan" return soon as a righteous King to set right all the wrongs...bringing order, where is disorder, peace where peace has gone to pieces, morality where there is immorality, hope where there is despair, joy where there is sorrow? You can take Him at His word...

“'Yes, I am coming soon!' Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!†(Rev 22:20)

Are you alert? Have you alerted others? The Gospel of this era is not only that Christ came, but that He is also coming again...Soon!

No theology is complete without a doxology. Hallelujah!!!

Prayer: Lord Jesus, even as signs of imminent Church rapture abound all around us...enable us to be alert and alert others. Amen and Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries

Announcement:

Just what IS love, anyway? Check out "Lessons In Love From 1 Corinthians 13", a mini-series by Soyna Richards, to find out!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:48 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
October 8, 2013
The Lord's Prayer, Part 6
bible
By Answers2Prayer 
"hallowed be your name" (Matthew 6:9b NIV)

By definition hallowed means sanctified, consecrated, sacred and holy, but when applied to God Almighty, it is becomes much more than dry words on a page. It is precious treasure, sweeping into our hearts and stirring our lips to worship and praise the name of the Lord. It defies definition. 

I am reminded of what Isaiah saw as recorded in Chapter 6:1-3: 

"In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: 'Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.'" (NIV)

Father, we worship you because You are worthy. We praise You; we adore You; we thank You for Your many blessings. You are great and mighty, our strong tower, our guide when we are lost in the darkness. There was none before You and there will be none after You. You are Alpha and Omega the beginning and the end, our need supplier, our all in all, our Savior and our King, Jehovah-Jireh (our provider) Jehovah-Rafah (our healer), forever and ever. Amen and amen. 

Join us for next for Part Seven and hear that the Word of God teaches about our work here on earth as we eagerly await the second coming of our Lord, Jesus Christ. 
Yours in Christ,
Sonya Richards
Announcement:
The book of John takes us through many deep discussions that Jesus gave at various times in His ministry. Please click here for Study #1 -- JESUS AND NICODEMUS; Study #2 -- THE WOMAN AT THE WELL; Study #3 -- AT THE POOL OF BETHESDA; and Study #4 -- THE BREAD OF LIFE.  The fifth study in this series will be appearing in the Saturday Nuggets in the month of November.  Please join us on Saturday in November for The Shepherd and His Flock: A series focusing on the discourse in John 9!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 06 Oct 2013, 7:02 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
October 5, 2013
You Shall Make an Altar of Acacia Wood: Wilderness Instructions, Part 14

By Answers2Prayer 
 Last week, in Wilderness Instructions, Part 13, as we read about the instructions for the courtyard of the tabernacle in the wilderness, we are reminded not only that Jesus is the only way to God and is accessible by all who seek Him, but also that the exterior of our heart-temples (our characters) is the only picture of Jesus that the unsaved world may ever see, and we need to make sure it is a pure representation of the Jesus we've come to know and love! 

Today's lesson is the final lesson in this series, and it takes us to Exodus 27:1, where God gives Israel instructions for making the altar of burnt offerings: "You shall make an altar of acacia wood, five cubits long and five cubits wide--the altar shall be square--and its height shall be three cubits." (Exodus 27:1 NKJV). 

We see that this is to be a large structure, measuring approximately 7.5 feet (2.25 meters) square, and approximately 3.5 feet (1 meter) high, and like all of the furniture God has given instruction for, it is to be made of Acacia wood, a hard, durable wood that was found in abundance on the Sinai Peninsula, one that was particularly strong against insects.

Unlike the other furniture, however, that were to be overlaid with gold, this alter was to be covered in bronze: "And you shall overlay it with bronze. Also you shall make its pans to receive its ashes, and its shovels and its basins and its forks and its firepans; you shall make all its utensils of bronze." (Exodus 27:2,3 NKJV) 

If gold helps us to remember that Jesus is the most precious thing we could possibly have (See Wilderness Instructions, Part 3: The Ark of the Covenant), then what is the significance of bronze? 

Throughout the Bible, bronze, or brass, is used symbolically for the judgment. The serpent that was raised up in the wilderness was made of brass (See Num 21:9). Jesus is represented with feet of fine brass as he walks among His churches in the book of Revelation, inspecting them and pronouncing sentence upon them (see Rev. 1:15). In fact, all references to "brass" in the Old Testament have a negative connotation. It is mentioned for the first time in connection with the descendants of Cain (See Gen 4:22), Samson and Zedekiah were bound with chains of brass (see Judges 16:21, 2 Kings 5:27), etc. Thus, the coating of bronze helps us to think of Jesus, and His ministry of Judgement!

This altar was also to have horns: "You shall make its horns on its four corners; its horns shall be of one piece with it. And you shall overlay it with bronze." (Exodus 27:2 NKJV). 

Psalms 118:27 speaks of "horns" as something used for binding the sacrifice to the Altar, thus giving us a glimpse of the practical purpose of these horns. However, there is a deeper, more symbolic meaning. In the Bible, the horn is the symbol of power and strength (See Micah 4:13, Zechariah 1). Thus, it can be said that the horns on the altar point to the unfaltering purpose of Jesus and to the strength of His love. It was His devotedness to God that held Him to the cross (See Phil 2:8). 

Inside the Altar there was to be a grate: "You shall make a grate for it, a network of bronze; and on the network you shall make four bronze rings at its four corners." (Ex. 27:3). 

Thus, this bronze-overlaid box was hollow on the inside, and God instructed Moses to make a grate to fit down into the hollow box. The grate was where the fire was built, and where the parts of the offering were laid. While beautiful on the outside, the box contained an internal turmoil. This points us to the inward sufferings of Jesus: "He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him." (Isaiah 53:3 NKJV).

So what is the purpose of this Altar of Bronze? 

It was the place where the sacrifices were made. Thus it represents for us the place where sin is judged and its wages paid. The Altar speaks of death as the consequence of sin, and it also speaks of the remission of sin. As such, the uncompromising judgement of God dealt with sin, not by punishing the sinner, but by smiting the sinner's substitute: "...who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness--by whose stripes you were healed." (1 Peter 2:24 NKJV).

And just what does this all mean to our heart-temples? 

May I suggest that the Altar of Burnt Offerings stands before us as a perpetual reminder of the gravity of sin and its required consequences? But at the same time, may it also be a perpetual reminder that by the blood sacrifice of the only Human to walk this Earth without sin, by His "stripes you were healed"!

This is the last lesson from the instructions concerning the building of the tabernacle in the wilderness, but as you continue reading through the Bible, you will quickly see that this isn't the last instruction given for temple building. Is there any relevance to these other temple instructions? Join us in the new year for "More Temple Instructions". If you have missed any of the previous lessons from the Wilderness Instructions series, you will find them published online by clicking here: Wilderness Instructions, or if you can't access them via the web, you can email me here. If you wish to have an even more in-depth study on the wilderness tabernacle and its significance for us today, you are invited to read the excellent study done by Arthur W. Pink. May God bless you as you continue to build your heart temples!

In His love, 
Lyn
** Arthur W. Pink Archives
** Archaeological Study Bible, Copyright 2005 by the Zondervan Corporation, p. 153, The Tabernacle and the Ark and p. 133, Commentary on Vs. 25:37. 
Announcement:
Wondering how to improve your "prayer closet" experience?  Join us on Tuesdays for The Lord's Prayer, a mini-series by Sonya Richards.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:45 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
October 3, 2013
It is "All" There, Part 4
By Answers2Prayer 

Today in our penultimate section of our journey of the good ole' Good Samaritan parable, we come to some more lessons...

7. Callous

"A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side." (Luke 10:31-32)

Forget the Clergy, even the common Jews take pride in memorizing the first five books of the Bible. So were not Priest and the Levite aware of what the Law commanded... 

"If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help them with it." (Ex. 23:5:)

Let alone a human being in need, the Jews were divinely commanded not to be callous towards even a needy donkey of an enemy. But there they were, the Priest and a Levite, when they saw a dying Jew:  The very definition of indifference. Hey, be wary of not only obvious Sins of commission but also of more subtle Sins of omission as James exhorts us in his oh, so down to earth, practical epistle. It is one thing to know the Bible, it is quite another to obey it. 

"If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them." (James 4:17) 

In a way were not the apathetic Priest and the Levite symbolic of the Law which came before the Saviour? It can "see and identify" the problem areas in our body like a good scanning machine does but can do precious little in remedying them. The Priest and Levite "saw" the problem but did precious little in fixing it. 

We can obey the Written Word, only if we have the Living Word indwelling us, for then His likes and dislikes become ours too. 

8. Compassion

Even as badly bruised Jew lay dying, there came the compassionate Samaritan. Hey, it cost him to render help. He may have been on a business trip for all we know. But there he was willing to expend his time, talent and treasures for the very one who in normal times would have cold-shouldered him. He preferred to walk, putting the injured one on the donkeys back. Now was not the Samaritan aware of the Jews' historical prejudice and hatred towards his like, but propelled as he was by unconditional, agape love, he set out to help the dying Jew, come what may. 

"But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him." (Luke 10:33-34) 

There we were Children of the fallen human race with neither love for God nor hope for deliverance languishing in darkness, then arrived the precious Saviour to bail us out of trouble. Now will I be able to adequately recount what it cost the Redeemer to liberate us from the clutches of sin? Let the Scripture take over...

"For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!" (Rom 5:10)

"Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation." (Col 1:21)

Prayer: Father, we can never adequately repay thee or even thank Thee for redeeming us out of our hopeless condition. We praise Thee once again in Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries 
Announcement:
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 28 Sep 2013, 10:18 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
September 28, 2013
Make a Courtyard for the Temple: Wilderness Instructions, Part 13
By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in Wilderness Instructions, Part 12, we learned that the elaborate framework for the tabernacle in the wilderness is to be a reminder to us that Jesus' gift on the cross has formed the framework upon which hangs every hope of salvation, every hope of freedom from the dominion of darkness and sin.

The next few verses of instruction, found in Exodus 27, are centered on the courtyard: "Make a courtyard for the tabernacle." (Ex. 27:9a).

As for the rest of the items described, the details of the courtyard are explicit. The dimensions were to be approximately 150 feet (45 metres) in length, and 75 feet (22.5 metres) in width (See Vs. 9b, 11, 12). The "walls" of the courtyard were to be made of fine linen curtains, strung from silver hooks on posts that were set on bronze bases (See Vs. 10, 11, 12). The curtains were to all be approximately 7.5 feet (2.25 metres) high (See Vs. 14, 15), and they were to be fastened to the ground with bronze tent pegs (See Vs. 19). And the curtains for the entrance to the tabernacle were to be embroidered with blue, purple and scarlet yarn (Vs. 16).

I would like to suggest that just like everything we've discussed so far in the wilderness tabernacle pointed to Jesus, the court yard does as well. The tabernacle was the place where the people could approach God. When Christ came to this Earth, He walked among men. He was accessible to all who sought Him. But His glory was only beheld by those who drew near in faith: "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14 NIV)

Thus, the courtyard, what the people saw, is a reminder of the fact that Jesus walks among us and is accessible to all who seek Him. His glory, however, is only for those who accept His gift of righteousness!

It is interesting to note that these curtains were actually quite similar to the curtains that made up the innermost covering to the tabernacle itself (See Wilderness Instructions, Part 11). We learned when we studied these curtains that they were designed to help us remember the purity of Christ. They curtains were covered by three other layers, which we learned is symbolic of the fact that we have to pass beneath the blood of Jesus in order to fully experience Him. But the curtains that made up the courtyard were very similar, and these were not covered up. Why?

I would suggest that the curtains that made up the courtyard also represent Christ. These curtains, however, are not so much a reminder for those within -- for those who have already accepted His righteousness as their own -- but rather, they were considered to be the presentation of Christ to the World! Christ in the purity of His nature!

Friends, does the exterior of your heart-temple represent Christ in the purity of His nature? When the world sees you, does it see a reflection of the purity of Jesus? I'm afraid that mine doesn't, or at least not all of the time! Let's let this curtain that made up the perimeter of the courtyard serve as a reminder to us that the exterior of our heart-temples -- Our characters -- should always reflect Jesus Christ. For this, my friends, is the only part of our heart-temples that is visible to the world around us, and only in the purity of our exterior curtains will the world see Jesus in us, will the world want what we have in Christ!

Of specific interest is the fact that the gate curtain is described as being almost identical to the veil that separated the Holy place from the Holy of Holies: "For the gate of the court there shall be a screen twenty cubits long, woven of blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen, made by a weaver. It shall have four pillars and four sockets." (Exod 27:16, NKJV, compare to Exodus 26:31). We saw in Wilderness Instructions, Part 10 that the veil represents Jesus Christ, and it is only through Him that we have access to the presence of God. Could it be that the purpose of the gate curtain is the same? To remind of that it is only through Jesus that we can access the presence of God?

Jesus seemed to indicate that it was when He said, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture." (John 10:7-9 NIV)

Friends, as we read about the instructions for the courtyard of the tabernacle in the wilderness, let it be a reminder to us, not only that Jesus is the only way to God and is accessible by all who seek Him, but also that the exterior of our heart-temples (our characters) is the only picture of Jesus that the unsaved world may ever see! Let's make sure that it is a pure representation of the Jesus we've come to know and love! Let's reflect His glory today!

Please join us next week for the final part of Wilderness Instructions, Part 14: You Shall Make an Altar...

In His love,
Lyn

* Arthur W. Pink Archives, page 46 (hyperlink to http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Gleanings_Exodus/exodus_46.htm)
** Archaeological Study Bible, Copyright 2005 by the Zondervan Corporation, p. 153, The Tabernacle and the Ark and p. 133, Commentary on Vs. 25:37.

Announcement:
Wondering how to improve your "prayer closet" experience? Join us on Tuesdays for The Lord's Prayer, a mini-series by Sonya Richards.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 10:47 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
September 24, 2013
The Lord's Prayer, Part 4
bible
By Answers2Prayer
Last time we were together we discussed what Jesus called the "so-called prayer warriors" and the fact that prayer is not a formula for getting what you want from God. Today we will talk about more legalistic techniques and why they do not work.

"With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:" (Matthew 6:9 The Message)

This is Jesus teaching us how to pray -- no magical phrases, no wordy wandering, just a simple plea. We all know The Lord's Prayer, but do we really think of what it means?

In the verse above, as rendered in The Message Bible, Jesus says pray "like this". When I looked up the synonyms for the word "like" this is what I found the following: "similar to", "in the vein of", "reminiscent of", "approximating" and "akin to". Jesus is not telling us to pray these exact words; He is saying this is the pattern for prayer. Otherwise, this would be just another formula, and a prayer with no heart behind it will never move God.

The actual words of The Lord's Prayer are not meant to be the only words we use. That's legalism. These words make up the framework on which to hang our prayers. We should be able to trace each prayer back to this foundation. It is the pattern for petition, the cornerstone of our spiritual house. We lay our prayers upon it, building the structure one prayer at a time.

Jesus intended this teaching on prayer to be a guideline to take us deeper into our prayer life, and not a stumbling stone. We know that Satan is a perverter of God's Word, and tries to water down the Word to make it of no effect. So, let us not fall into his trap by treating as common something God has sanctified for our good.

Father, thank You for Your Word. It is yes and amen. It is profitable to teach us how to live and love and walk and talk with You. I pray You will open the eyes of our understanding as we grow in the grace and knowledge of You Lord. Bless us and keep us safe from the evil one. In the mighty and matchless name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

In the next few parts in this series, we will look closer at each verse of the prayer to see beyond the familiarity of the words and into Jesus' heart in the matter. Join us next Tuesday as we talk about the focus of our prayers, God Himself.

Yours in Christ,
Sonya RichardsAnnouncement:

Who is your neighbor? Join us on Thursdays this month for "It is all There": a series focusing on the parable of the Good Samaritan!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 7:30 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
September 21, 2013
And you Shall Make the Boards for the Tabernacle: Wilderness Instructions, Part 12
By Answers2Prayer 
Last week, in WILDERNESS INSTRUCTIONS, Part 11, we saw that the 4-fold covering to the tabernacle is a reminder to us of Jesus Christ, who came as a humble servant, who is the head of His flock, who took the punishment for our sins, and thus, covered all of our sin. When we accept His sacrifice, we are then brought under that covering, our sins are removed from us, and we are seen as "white as snow". Only then can we fully experience being under the "shadow of His wings", that we can fully experience His protection, His comfort. 

Today's lesson takes us to the actual frame of the Tabernacle: The boards designed to hold up the coverings: 

"And for the tabernacle you shall make the boards of acacia wood, standing upright. Ten cubits shall be the length of a board, and a cubit and a half shall be the width of each board. Two tenons shall be in each board for binding one to another. Thus you shall make for all the boards of the tabernacle." (Ex. 26:15-17 NKJV)

The frame, then, was to be made of Acacia wood, which we saw in earlier lessons is a hard wood, found in abundance in the Sinai Peninsula, which is particularly hardy against insects. Thus, as we saw in Wilderness Instructions, Part 3, this can be symbolic that our heart-temples aren't something that can be eaten away. They will stand the test of time. 

The specific height and width of each board is given, and we can note that each one was to be approximately 15 feet (4.5 metres) tall, and 2.2 feet (.7 metres) wide. Basically they were long and thin. God then specifies how many boards would make up each side of the tabernacle: Twenty on the north and south sides, and six on the westward side (See Exodus 26:18, 20 and 22). 

Why not just one board? 

Let's remember that the tabernacle in the wilderness was meant to be a portable structure. The fact that the walls were made up of individual boards must have gone a long ways towards facilitating the transport of the tabernacle! 

God also specifies how the boards will be held upright: "You shall make forty sockets of silver under the twenty boards: two sockets under each of the boards for its two tenons..." (Ex 26:19). 

God even specifies how the corners will be reinforced: "And you shall also make two boards for the two back corners of the tabernacle. They shall be coupled together at the bottom and they shall be coupled together at the top by one ring. Thus it shall be for both of them. They shall be for the two corners. So there shall be eight boards with their sockets of silver--sixteen sockets--two sockets under each board." (Ex. 26:23-25)

And finally, God gives instructions for the support of the roof as well: "And you shall make bars of acacia wood: five for the boards on one side of the tabernacle, five bars for the boards on the other side of the tabernacle, and five bars for the boards of the side of the tabernacle, for the far side westward. The middle bar shall pass through the midst of the boards from end to end." (Ex. 26:26-28)

All of these boards were to be overlaid with gold: "You shall overlay the boards with gold, make their rings of gold as holders for the bars, and overlay the bars with gold." (Ex. 26:29). We saw in Wilderness Instructions, Part 3 that the gold overlay on the acacia wood was to help us remember that our heart-temples should be the most precious things we can possibly imagine in our lives. But just what is the purpose of this elaborate framework? 

The obvious purpose would be one of support. The tabernacle needed to have a framework, something to hold up the symbolic coverings, the symbolic veil, something to house the symbolic furniture. Without this framework, there would be no tabernacle, nothing for the priests to serve in, nowhere for the curtains to hang. 

We must remember that these golden boards, held together by the golden bards and resting in their silver sockets, sustained the weight of the curtains and coverings. We saw last week that the curtains and the veil all give us a picture of Jesus, and we know that on Jesus was hung all the weight of sin, the weight of the universe (See 1 Peter 2:24). The boards, then, represent the person of Christ. They represent how He gave up everything to die a cruel death for us, that we might be saved, and upon that one Sacrifice, the future of mankind was hung. 

And what does this mean for our heart-temples? 

Just this: when we read about the elaborate framework for the tabernacle in the wilderness, let it be a reminder to us that Jesus' gift on the cross has formed the framework upon which hangs every hope of salvation, every hope of freedom from the dominion of darkness and sin. Let's think of this framework in the tabernacle, and let's remember that Jesus is the reason our heart-temples exist and maintain their form! 

And that completes the instructions given for the construction of the tabernacle and its furniture. But God's instructions don't stop here. He goes on to give instructions about the courtyard surrounding the tabernacle. Does this courtyard also have significance for our heart-temples? Join us next week and find out: Wilderness Instructions, Part 13: Make a Courtyard for the Tabernacle... 

In His love,
Lyn

* http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Gleanings_Exodus/exodus_42.htm  

Announcement:
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 20 Sep 2013, 5:45 pm

Welcome to the Nugge
September 19, 2013
It is "All" There, Part 2
By Answers2Prayer
Continuing our journey in the study of the "Good Samaritan", today we come to two more lessons...

3.Concise Commandments

Now this Critic of the Master was quite conversant with sum and substance of Jesus' teachings, for prompt was his reply: 

"He answered, '"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind"; and, "Love your neighbor as yourself."'" (Luke 10:27) 

Evidently he had heard the Master proclaim before that if we concentrate on obeying these two commandments, we would quite naturally be obeying the rest. Had not the Master also earlier spoken of the "lighter burden" He places on His followers (Matt 11:18-30), as compared to the myriad of laws the other Jewish religious leaders were imposing on the hapless public (Matt 23:4). On receiving this reply, with all the authority that goes with being the Son of God, Christ gives his detractor an answer...

"'You have answered correctly,' Jesus replied. 'Do this and you will live.'" (Luke 10:28)

4. Contention

With the prejudicial bent of mind we now see the Jewish orthodox leader contending with the Master:

"But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, 'And who is my neighbor?'" (Luke 10:29)

He of course was not averse to loving fellow Jews but loving the despised Samaritans.  No way!!!  Through the centuries the Jews with pure Jewish lineage had looked down upon the Samaritans as the "mixed breed". For more on the origin of the Samaritans reading of 2 Kings 17th chapter Chapter would help. In a nutshell, they were the children of resident Jews in Samaria after the Assyrian exile and the gentiles whom the Assyrian King Shalmanesar had relocated to Samaria from other parts of his vast empire at that time. 

Now the setting was perfect for the Lord to narrate a parable to drive home the point of loving everyone in need unreservedly. Though prima facie, it would seem that the main motive behind this parable of the Good Samaritan is to convey the significance of the unconditional agape love, its contents have been so spiritually woven so as to represent symbolically the entire Biblical history from the Pristine Creation onwards. Going by our Lord's attention to even minor details in this account, I would even go so far as to conjecture that it was a true story that the good Lord saw unfolding from the Heavenly realms, long before His Earthly sojourn began in Bethlehem. Hey, was He not in existence from times immemorial...even before Abraham was born (John 8:58)!!!

In the next section, we shall glean lessons from the exact parable.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, we praise Thee for making Thy parables so simple that even the simpleminded ones amongst us can understand. Give us always an understanding heart. Amen. 

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries 
Announcement:

Do you ever wonder about the tabernacle that Moses built in the wilderness?  The books of Exodus and Leviticus spend many chapters describing its construction, but does it hold any relevance for us today?  Please join us on Saturdays for Wilderness Instructions, a mini-series inspired by the tabernacle in the wilderness! 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:33 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
September 17, 2013
The Lord's Prayer, Part 3
bible
By Answers2Prayer 
In Part Two of our series we dug a bit deeper in the matter of how and where to pray. Today we will learn at the Master's knee about God's abundant provision and that we needn't beg God for our daily needs. 

"The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need." (Matthew 6:7-8  The Message)

Paul said in 2 Timothy 4:4, "For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear." (NLT)

In the present day, the doctrine of prosperity is widespread. People don't want to hear about sin and asking for forgiveness; they want to hear about the blessings of God only. Those seeking to profit from God's word, rather than speak the truth, are eager to provide what the people want in order to further their own agenda, be it monetary gain or fame. "They are full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God." 

In this passage, Jesus goes on to say that God: "...knows better than you what you need." God is not a genie in a bottle, ready to fulfill your every desire. God is your Heavenly Father and His interest is in supplying your needs and equipping you for the ministry of furthering the gospel, all the while growing and shaping you into the image of Jesus.

So let us be about the business of the Kingdom of God and trust God to supply all of our needs. Prayer is not a formula and you need not come with lofty words. God is not impressed with our vocabulary; in fact, some of the most powerful prayers that you will ever pray will have no words at all.

Lord, help me to bear my heart and soul to You in our time together. Lord, if I have been in sin, convict me so that I can be changed for the good of Your Kingdom. Make me like Jesus. Bestow upon me what You desire for Your purposes. In Jesus' name. Amen. 

Next time we will explore the simplicity of prayers that move God's heart, no dictionary or thesaurus needed!

Yours in Christ,
Sonya Richards
Announcement:
Who is your neighbor?  Join us on Thursdays this month for "It is all There": a series focusing on the parable of the Good Samaritan! 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:33 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
September 14, 2013
You Will Make the Tabernacle with Ten Curtains: Wilderness Instructions, Part 11
By Answers2Prayer
 Last week, in Wilderness Instructions, Part 10, we learned that the veil in the wilderness is there to remind us of the atrocity of sin and the holiness of God. It helps us understand how incapable we are of working our way into God's grace, and it helps us remember that the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus Christ has changed it all. Once we are covered by His blood, we have free access to the presence of the living God!

Our lesson today takes us back to Exodus 26, where elaborate instructions are given regarding the covering of the tabernacle: "Moreover you shall make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine woven linen and blue, purple, and scarlet thread; with artistic designs of cherubim you shall weave them." (Exodus 26:1 NKJV)

As you read through the 26th chapter of Exodus, you will quickly note that there are a total of four curtains described: The inner curtain of linen, embroidered with colourful cherubim, as described in verses 1-6. Next is the covering of woven goat's hair, as described in vs. 7-13, then the covering of ram's skin, died red (see vs. 14a); and finally, a covering of the hide of another creature, which is sometimes translated "sea cow", and sometimes "badger" (see vs. 14b). 

But wait. Why were four layers needed in the first place? 

Pure speculation on my part would say that the multiple layers was for protection from the elements. The innermost layer was a work of art, beautiful, but hardly substantial enough to brave the elements. The second layer, of goat's hair, which is what the tents of the people were made of, would provide that necessary protection. And perhaps the layers of animal hides would then further ensure that the structure was both dust and waterproof. 

Though nothing but pure speculation, there are some valuable lesson here for our heart-temples. In the book of Philippians, Paul tells us how to protect our hearts: "...and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7 NKJV). Thus, when we read about the elaborate description of the coverings for the tabernacle in the wilderness, let's remember that our heart-temples are also provided with protection -- The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding! And the best part is this: God's peace is ours for the asking! 

But when we look more closely at each of these layers, we find several interesting symbolisms in these coverings:* 

1. The innermost layer: This was made of "fine linen", just like the garments of the priests (See Ex. 28). The words "fine linen" is also seen in the book of Revelation, where it is declared to be the "righteous acts of the saints". (See Rev. 19:8 NKJV). We know that all of our righteous acts are but filthy rags (See Is 64:6), but they shall be seen as "white as snow" (see Is 1:18), thanks to the blood of Jesus. Thus, the "fine linen" covering to our heart-temples is to remind us that through Jesus, we are seen as pure and clean!

There were also cherubim embroidered into the linen. The Psalmist makes frequent reference to wings in regards to protection. We are told that we are in the "shadow of His wings" (Ps. 17:8). Thus, when we think of the rich embroidered cherubim, let's remember God's protection is always surrounding us, that we are always hidden in the "shadow of His wings"!

2. The second covering, made of goat's hair: It is interesting to note that the word "curtain" in Hebrew had the root meaning of "tremble" or "waive". Another similar Hebrew root is the word for "fear". We are to honor God and reverence Him, and the curtains remind us of this. 

We must also remember the goat was the animal pre-imminently used for the sin offering. Thus, the "goat hair" points to Christ, the great "sin offering" (See 1 Cor. 5:21). 

Finally, the covering of goats' hair completely hid the beautiful linen curtain, which could only be seen from the interior of the holy place. This can serve as a reminder to us that it is not until we have personally accepted Jesus' gift of salvation that we can rejoice in His peace, in His comfort, in His care. 

3. The third covering of ram's skin: The ram was the sacrifice used to consecrate the priests (See Ex. 29:26), and it spoke of devotedness to God. This skin was dyed red, thus giving us a vivid symbol of Jesus' devotion until death. The rams' skins covering, then, foreshadowed Christ as the Head of His people, the "sheep" perfectly consecrated to God. 

4. Over the rams' skins were placed badgers' skins. Interestingly, this is the only cover seen by the eyes of the people of Israel. It reminds us that when Christ came to this earth, "He made Himself of no reputation" (Phil 2:7). He humbled Himself, and the glory of His divinity were hidden from the eyes of the people. 

As we contemplate this 4-fold covering to the tabernacle, let's let it be a reminder to us of Jesus Christ, who came as a humble servant, who is the head of His flock, who took the punishment for our sins, and thus, covered all of our sin. When we accept His sacrifice, we are then brought under that covering, our sins are removed from us, and we are seen as "white as snow". Only then can we fully experience being under the "shadow of His wings", that we can fully experience His protection, His comfort. 

But this covering had to be held up by a framework of some kind. Are there any lessons we can learn from the frame? Please join us next week for Wilderness Instructions, Part 12: The Boards. 

In His love,
Lyn

* http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Gleanings_Exodus/exodus_41.htm 

Announcement:
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 8:13 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

September 12, 2013
It is "All" There, Part 1

By Answers2Prayer Subscribe Unsubscribe Devotionals Contact us

One of the outstanding aspects of the Saviour's Ministry was his narration of parables. 

The word parable is a transliteration of the Greek word "parabole" (para-bow-LAY), and comes from two Greek words, "para" (translated "beside") and "ballein" (translated "to throw"). Literally, the word parable means "to throw beside," or "to place beside", or "to place together for the purpose of comparing, or making a comparison." They can usually be identified by the use of the word "like," as in Jesus' statement, "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed," or "The kingdom of heaven is like leaven" (Matt 13:31,33). In these examples, Jesus was comparing the kingdom of heaven to the attributes or characteristics of a mustard seed and to leaven (yeast).  Some have defined the word parable as "a story by which something real in life is used as a means of presenting a moral thought." Others have said a parable "puts the known next to the unknown so that we may learn." They are usually a story or a narrative taken from nature or from everyday human experiences. Perhaps the simplest definition of all is that a parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning. 

While all the parables of the Master fire the imagination of the reader, the one (on closer scrutiny) that symbolically encapsulates the entire Biblical history is good ole "Good Samaritan" parable...

Beginning with Garden of Eden it would reflect the Fall before coursing its way to Redemption finally it would end with a heady climax of Second coming. So what are the lessons that can be gleaned from this most quoted parable of the Master? Since this parable was narrated in Capernaum the name of the town beginning with the alphabet C, we shall in the course of this message use sub-headings all beginning with the letter C. By the way, this town beside the Sea of Galilee virtually served as the headquarters of our Lord's Ministry after his rejection at Nazareth. If the "Preparation" ("growing in favour with man and God" Luke 2:52) and "Passion" (Matt 26-27) parts of Jesus' Ministry can be associated with Nazareth and Jerusalem respectively, Capernaum is intrinsically linked to His "Proclamation" (Matt 4:23-25) ministry, when His popularity touched its peak.

1. Corner

"On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus..." ( See Luke 10:25a)

The setting was somber. The ever growing popularity amongst the masses of the humble, miracle-doing Carpenter of lowly Nazareth was not going down well with the Religious leaders of Jesus' day, who openly craved fame (Matt 23:5-7). Both in preaching and in performing miraculous signs, the One calling Himself the Son of God, stood head and shoulders above contemporary Orthodox teachers. Add to this, Jesus' radical (contextually that is) teaching of looking beyond this World to a far better one at a time when traditional Jewish teaching was all about obeying the Almighty to secure the blessings of Earthly Land flowing with milk and honey and the scene of Jesus' opponents sharpening their swords both literally and figuratively "to take him on" becomes complete. What better way to bring down Jesus' popularity then by publicly leaving him clueless with some tricky questions. Thus the poser all with a clinical mind of chess player intending to checkmate his opponent...

"'Teacher,' he asked, 'what must I do to inherit eternal life?'" (Luke 10:25b)

2. Counter

History keeps getting repeated. Do not we see a envious, conspiring Cain in this question? Even literally were not the Orthodox Jewish teachers in a way "Elder" brothers of Christ, having been in "spiritual business" for a longer time, then this radical new entrant from Nazareth? 

The USP about our Lord's defense tactics was to often throw the ball back into the court of his critics, by asking them some searching counter questions. So there it comes... 

"'What is written in the Law?' he replied. 'How do you read it?'" (Luke 10:26)

This leads us to the third "C" headed Sub-title "Concise commandments" upon which, we shall focus upon in the next part of this Series...

Prayer: Father, Thy Word is a veritable treasure, more we keep digging into Thy Word, more we get the treasures.  We make the prayer of the Psalmist ours too "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." In Jesus' Name. Amen. 

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries 
Announcement:

Do you ever wonder about the tabernacle that Moses built in the wilderness?  The books of Exodus and Leviticus spend many chapters describing its construction, but does it hold any relevance for us today?  Please join us on Saturdays for Wilderness Instructions, a mini-series inspired by the tabernacle in the wilderness! 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:55 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
September 10, 2013
The Lord's Prayer, Part 2
By Answers2Prayer 
In the first part of our series on The Lord's Prayer we talked about the purpose of the prayer, not as a formula for getting what we want or garnering the praises of the world, but as a conversation with God that focuses on Him rather than us, because, like it or not, it is not all about us. 

"Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace." (Matthew 6:6 The Message)

When I read this familiar scripture from Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount" from The Message Bible, I see it in a new way.  My "prayer closet" is my bathroom. In the early mornings, as I shower and prepare for the day, I spend some time in prayer, talking with God, interceding for people or simply bringing my concerns for the day. During this time, with the lights dimmed and everyone else in the house asleep or preparing for their own day, I can be alone with God and my 
thoughts. It's my "quiet, secluded place". 

When Jesus speaks of "role-play before God" it puts me in mind of the pressures of praying aloud in a group of people, or even with just one person. I always worry a bit about how it sounds - is it spiritual enough, is it churchy enough? I feel pressure to say the right words, to be fluent and flawless, not stumbling through as in my private prayers where I seek to express things only the heart, and sometimes my tears, can express. 

This is indeed how we should pray, not always, because praying for others encourages both them, and us but definitely at some time in every day for the very reason Jesus said: "The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace."

Lord, I want so much to commune with You in the quiet hour. Thank You for the ability to come directly into Your Presence with my sins and failures and concerns and fears. You hear them all and You care for them all, because I do. What an amazing thing. Your will be done. Amen. 

Join us next time as we dig deeper into God's heart on the matter of prayer as Jesus continues to teach His disciples, and us, how we should pray in line with God's will. 
Yours in Christ,
Sonya Richards
Announcement:
Who is your neighbor?  Join us on Thursdays this month for "It is all There": a series focusing on the parable of the Good Samaritan! 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 08 Sep 2013, 12:07 am

Welcome to the Nugget
September 7, 2013
You Shall Make a Veil: Wilderness Instructions, Part 10
By Answers2Prayer 

Last week, in Wilderness Instructions, Part 9, we learned that the Altar of Burnt Incense reminds us that Jesus, now seated at the right hand of God, is constantly engaging God on behalf of His children. He is presenting our petitions and our worship to His father in the sweet fragrance of His own perfections. Its position inside the tabernacle tells us of Christ having gone in to appear before God on behalf of His people. 

But that altar, though situated just in front of the mercy seat, was separated from it by a piece of cloth, known in the bible as a "veil": "You shall make a veil woven of blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen. It shall be woven with an artistic design of cherubim." (Exodus 26:31 NKJV) 

This veil was to serve as a division: "...And you shall hang the veil from the clasps. Then you shall bring the ark of the Testimony in there, behind the veil. The veil shall be a divider for you between the holy place and the Most Holy." (Exodus 26:32-33 NKJV) 

Thus, the veil held a very special function. God's presence resided in the Mercy Seat, on the cover to the Ark of the Covenant. No sinful man could look upon the presence of God and live. In fact, the priests were instructed to only go behind the veil once a year, on the Day of Atonement, when all of the sin of the people had been atoned for by the blood of animals. And it was only the high priest who could make this yearly trip "But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance." (Hebrews 9:7, See also Lev. 16).

The veil then, shielded the presence of God from sinful man. This same veil, however, was torn from top to bottom at the moment of Jesus' death: "Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split..." (Matthew 27:51 NKJV). At that moment, the Holy of Holies was exposed and God's presence was made visible to all! 

What does this mean for us today? 

Just this: Thanks to the death of Jesus, the veil is no longer needed! Each of us who has accepted Jesus gift of Salvation has free access to the presence of God (see Heb. 4:16)!

But how can this be, that sinful man can now stand in the presence of God and live to tell about the experience? 

Let's remember that Jesus' death has atoned for all of our sins -- ever! The torn veil illustrates Jesus' body, broken for us, that opened the way for us to come to God. At His death, at that moment when the ultimate Sacrifice had been made, the age of animal sacrifices was gone for good! And now, "Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:14-16 NKJV) 

That's the good news, friends! We no longer need the veil! Thank You, Jesus! 

But if we no longer need the veil, then why do we need to worry about the instructions for the making of the veil in the wilderness? Does it still hold any relevance for us today? In our heart-temples where God resides?

Friends, the veil in the wilderness is there to remind us of the atrocity of sin and the holiness of God. It is to help us understand how incapable we are of working our way into God's grace. It is to help us remember that the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus Christ has changed it all. It is to help us comprehend that without Jesus, the presence of the Almighty God would still overcome us! Only when we are covered by His blood do we have free access to the presence of God! Thus, the veil in the wilderness tabernacle stands as a firm reminder that being in the presence of the God of the universe is not our due or our right, it is our gift! 

And why would God have gone to all the trouble to remove the need for the tabernacle veil? 

Because in His presence is where He wants us to be! It’s all about a love relationship, friends! God sent Jesus to open the way, to remove all need for a veil, so that we can commune with Him, face to face! 

And isn't that what our heart-temples are all about? Being able to commune freely with the God of the universe, the Lover of our souls? 

And that concludes the section of this study that looks at what can be found inside the wilderness tabernacle. But there is more. That tabernacle has walls, it has a courtyard. Please join us next week for Wilderness Instructions, Part 11: You Shall Make a Tabernacle with Ten Curtains... 

In His love,
Lyn

* http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Gleanings_Exodus/exodus_41.htm 

Announcement:
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:31 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
September 5, 2013
Hit the Trail
By Answers2Prayer 

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16, ISV) 

"And let us continue to consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another even more as you see the day coming nearer." (Hebrews 10:24-25, ISV) 

Our small town in Northeast Tennessee is a mail stop along the Appalachian Trail. Sometimes a hiker will come to our church. One came early one Sunday so some of us got to talk with him. He had started at the beginning of the trail in Georgia and was planning on hiking the whole trail all the way to Maine. He had not studied about hiking and did not know just what he needed to know. After he was on the trail a short time he realized He had brought the wrong equipment and clothing. He found out what he needed from some of the others who were on the trail.

This is a metaphor for someone who is starting out their Christian walk. 

They may have read the bible or heard it read but not understood what it said. They did not realize the bible was their manual for their daily walk. 

Some may not realize that they need to meet with other Christians to learn how to apply some of the things they read to their lives.

We who are in this Christian walk need to read our manual, the bible. We also need to meet with other Christians in our daily walk as well as in church to learn how to live out our faith.

By Dean Masters

Owner of the Master's List:
Unedited redistribution approved

International standard version New Testament : Version 1.1. 2000 (Print on Demand ed.). The Learning Foundation: Yorba Linda,  CA
Announcement:
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:18 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
bible
September 3, 2013
The Lord's Prayer, Part 1
bible
By Answers2Prayer 
Matthew 6:5-6

In this series, we will look closer at each verse of the The Lord's Prayer to see beyond the familiarity of the words and into Jesus' heart in the matter. Jesus intended this to be a guideline to take us deeper into our prayer life, and not a stumbling stone. We know that Satan is a perverter of God's Word, and tries to water down the Word to make it of no effect. So, let us not fall into his trap by treating as common something God has sanctified for our good. 

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full." (Matthew 6:5-6 NIV)

This passage is right at the beginning of Jesus' public ministry, as recorded by Matthew, and is part of what we call "The Sermon on the Mount" and the introduction to The Lord's Prayer. In Chapter Five Jesus is teaching on the old covenant, the law, versus the new covenant, grace. He says over and over, "You have heard it said" followed by, "But I tell you." 

The people had been living with the law, as given to Moses by God, for more than a thousand years and in Jesus' day the religious leaders, The Pharisees, had added so many rules to the law as to make it even more impossible for the people to keep. 

Jesus said of them in Matthew 23:5-7 that, "Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels. And they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the seats of honor in the synagogues. They love to receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces, and to be called 'Rabbi.'" 

Instead of leading the people to God, the Pharisees used their position of influence for their own glory. They are the hypocrites He is referring to in verse five. Our prayers are to be a sweet time of communing with our Heavenly Father, not a show for others to admire our holiness. Jesus said if we make our prayers a show to garner acclaim for ourselves, we have received all that we will ever get for our efforts. 

God, I want to glorify You in all I do. I the only accolade I desire is Your "well done" at the end of my days. I pray You keep me humble and to remember that I am but Your servant and honored to do Your work here on Earth. Thank You for Your blessings and thank You for allowing me to pray for others as You lead. In Jesus' name, amen.

Join us next time when we will explore our "prayer closet" and the Lord Jesus' further instructions on how, and where, to pray. 

Yours in Christ,
Sonya Richards

Announcement:
It is never easy to do what is right, but it is always the right thing to do. But what if doing what is right gets you into trouble? What then?  Check out "Yes Boss!!!" a mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan, designed to help us understand the importance of doing the right thing, as well as the ultimate blessings that will result!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:30 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
August 31, 2013
The Altar of Burnt Incense: Wilderness Instructions, Part 9
By Answers2Prayer 

Last week, in Wilderness Instructions, Part 8, Thus, the wilderness instructions regarding the obtaining of the oil to keep the lamps perpetually burning, reminds us that it is our responsibility to have enough oil to keep our spiritual lamps burning. We must have that steady supply! And God, who is not asking us to do anything difficult here, He simply waits for us to ask for more and more of His Spirit! 

The last piece of furniture for the inner sanctuary was the altar of Burnt Incense. The instructions for this altar can be found in Ex. 30: 

"You shall make an altar to burn incense on; you shall make it of acacia wood. A cubit shall be its length and a cubit its width--it shall be square--and two cubits shall be its height. Its horns shall be of one piece with it. And you shall overlay its top, its sides all around, and its horns with pure gold; and you shall make for it a molding of gold all around. Two gold rings you shall make for it, under the molding on both its sides. You shall place them on its two sides, and they will be holders for the poles with which to bear it. You shall make the poles of acacia wood, and overlay them with gold." (Ex. 30:1-5)

It is interesting to note that even before the altar's size and composition is described, we are told the purpose of this special altar: "You shall make an altar to burn incense on..." (Ex. 30:1). Thus, the importance of incense burning surpasses the importance of gold and the ability to transport the piece of furniture! And just in case we forget, the Bible reiterates the purpose for the altar in verses 7 and 8: "Aaron shall burn on it sweet incense every morning; when he tends the lamps, he shall burn incense on it. And when Aaron lights the lamps at twilight, he shall burn incense on it, a perpetual incense before the LORD throughout your generations." (Ex 30:7-8, NKJV)

And just what is the importance of incense burning? 

To answer this question, let's first consider the placement of this altar, as described in Ex. 30:6: "And you shall put it before the veil that is before the ark of the Testimony, before the mercy seat that is over the Testimony, where I will meet with you."

Thus, the Altar of burnt incense was to be placed right in front of the mercy seat over the Ark of the Covenant. In fact, the only thing to separate the two was the veil (See next week’s Wilderness Instructions for details of the veil...). 

But what is the meaning of incense? 

It is important, first of all, to note that though the Altar of Burnt Incense was to be put in the sanctuary, instruction for its construction, described in Exodus 30, would not come until 3 chapters after the instructions for the other sanctuary furniture (Chapter 27). This is because it is the priests who must perform the required ministrations on the altar, and the priest hood isn’t actually introduced or described until chapter 28 and 29. And just what were the priests to do? 

This is described for us in Ex. 30: "Aaron shall burn on it sweet incense every morning; when he tends the lamps, he shall burn incense on it. And when Aaron lights the lamps at twilight, he shall burn incense on it, a perpetual incense before the LORD throughout your generations...And Aaron shall make atonement upon its horns once a year with the blood of the sin offering of atonement; once a year he shall make atonement upon it throughout your generations. It is most holy to the LORD." (Vs 7-10, NKJV) 

So the purpose was two-fold: First of all, it was for burning incense. 

Incense is used in the Bible to represent prayer. Consider the following texts: "Let my prayer be set before You as incense, The lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice." (Ps 141:2, NKJV); and "...and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints." (Rev 5:8, NKJV)

Thus the incense represents the prayers of the people, and the fact that the priests were to put it there and see to its burning shows us a picture of intercession. 

Is not Christ our ultimate high priest? And is not the ministry of intercession one of His important responsibilities? Consider the following: "Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us." (Rom 8:34, NKJV)

Thus, the Altar of Burnt Incense reminds us that when we pray, Jesus, as our ultimate High Priest, sits at God's side, interceding on our behalf! 

Secondly, the Altar of Burnt Incense was used in the atonement ceremony. Before going into the most holy place, behind the veil, the high priest would first make atonement on the horns of the Altar of Burnt Incense. Thus, the Altar of Burnt Incense tells us of God's provision for us to go in to Him. 

In general, then, the Altar of Burnt Incense reminds us that Jesus, now seated at the right hand of God, is constantly engaging God on behalf of His children. He is presenting our petitions and our worship to His father in the sweet fragrance of His own perfections. Its position inside the tabernacle tells us of Christ having gone in to appear before God on behalf of His people. 

But this little altar isn't the only important one mentioned in the wilderness instructions. Please join us next week for Wilderness Instructions, Part 10: You Shall Make a Veil...

In His love,
Lyn
Announcement:

It is never easy to do what is right, but it is always the right thing to do. But what if doing what is right gets you into trouble? What then?  Check out "Yes Boss!!!!" a mini-series by Brother Suresh Manoharan, designed to help us understand the importance of doing the right thing, as well as the ultimate blessings that will result!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 31 Aug 2013, 12:42 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
August 29, 2013
On the Doorstep: Homeward Bound, Part 5
By Answers2Prayer

We shared Noah's journey home and we remember the Children of Israel's journey to their new home in company with God. Man and beast from the past travelled to the future together.

God remained with them and gave a statement that has helped to clinch my thinking about our creatures being with us in eternal life. Jeremiah dreams of living in perfect peace with God and when he wakes, the Lord says to him, "Behold the days come, saith the Lord, that I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man and with the seed of beast." (Jeremiah 31:27). The seed of man and the seed of beast means their offspring, or children.

Then in Hosea 2:18, the Lord says, "I will make a covenant for them, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven, and with the creeping things of the ground." He uses the context of the covenant with Noah and says in verse 23, "Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God."

They were already in a country where man and beast lived so the Lord is reminding them that the seed of man and beast, past and present, includes the future also. God always pictures man and creatures living in the same world at the same time, never separated.

Now look at the birth of the Son of God. Where was it? In a mansion, a palace, a fisherman's cottage, a monastery? Couldn't God have organised some normal, proper home for the birth of his own Son? No; nothing was available 

And yes. The Son of the Most High was born exactly where God planned he should be born. He was born in a stable where animals are housed. And the first people to be told about his birth were not priests or kings or governments. They were shepherds out on the hillside with their flocks (See Luke 2).

We celebrate that miracle every year at Christmas time.

Like the beginning of Adam and Eve, Jesus was "made in the image of God." (2 Cor. 4:4, Col. 1:15), and he was born where the creatures already lived. He came as "the last Adam" (1 Cor. 15:45), and He came to us where animals lived as did the first Adam. 

As with Noah and as with Israel, new life included the creatures.

Another name for the Saviour is "the Shepherd" and throughout the Book of Revelation, our Saviour is referred to as "the Lamb." Take another look at Revelation; and in the last chapter of the last Book we are shown a river, and a tree in the midst of a street.

Can you imagine a river without platypi or fish? Or whatever is native to your area? Can you imagine a tree without birds? Water and trees teem with life! 

Nowhere in Scripture is redeemed man separated from the creatures of the earth so I believe that when we are redeemed, we will live in harmony with them as at the beginning. On the basis of what the Lord said, I believe the creatures will be the ones we have known and loved.

Jesus told his disciples that heaven and earth would pass away and the end of the world would be as it was in the days of Noah, Matthew 24. And Chapter 25, still talking to His disciples, He said, "Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world." (Matthew 25:34).

Jesus is saying quite clearly that our home and life was prepared at the beginning of the world, it is not a new idea scraped together to meet an emergency. It was always God's plan that we should live in harmony, in a Garden of Eden state, and we should care for the earth and have "dominion" over every living thing. God said so because we were "made in the image of God." (Genesis 1:26-28).

In the Old Testament God said, "I am the Lord, I change not" (Malachi 3:6), and in the New Testament James 1:17 says "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." 

Then in Revelation 22:13, God concludes says "I am alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

We need to accept what Jesus said. He has painted the pictures, shown us the photographs, provided supporting legislation so that we are legally entitled to live there, and our new home awaits us. 

We are on the doorstep. Will you come home?

Elizabeth Price  
Announcement:
Do you ever wonder about the tabernacle that Moses built in the wilderness?  The books of Exodus and Leviticus spend many chapters describing its construction, but does it hold any relevance for us today?  Please join us on Saturdays in July and August for Wilderness Instructions, a mini-series inspired by the tabernacle in the wilderness!   
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 7:50 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
August 27, 2013
Who We Need to Be
bible
By Answers2Prayer 
My Dad gave me a few of my Grandma's old photo albums the other day. When I looked through them it was like taking a step back in time. It was so incredible to see my brothers, my Mom, my Dad, and my Grandma all looking so young. And on some pages I even saw a smiling six year old boy with my face staring up at me in sweet innocence.

I wondered what that boy would think if he could see what would happen to him during the next 40 years. He would have his home burn down in the middle of the night and lose everything he owned before he was 12. As a young man he would watch his Mom fight a losing battle with cancer and die far before her time. He would see his Grandma slowly lose her health and her memories to dementia before passing away as well. He would graduate college but still struggle financially for many years because he refused to move away from the family and community he loved. He would have two sons who everyday must live with the challenges of Autism. He would deal daily physical pain from an injured back. And he would suffer emotional pain too from all he had lost and all he had gone through. Yet, in spite of it all he would look back on the life he had lived so far and thank God for it, because it had helped him become who he needed to be.

Just as God writes straight with crooked lines, He also takes the many twists and turns in our lives and uses them to help us to become the people we were meant to be. Without all of that pain, struggle, and loss I would never have become who I am now. I would never have been able to love as deeply, to help others as much, or to appreciate life as fully as I do today. 

When I look at that boy in the pictures I wouldn't trade a second of his life. Even when his heart was broken again and again he never walled it up from the world. Instead he allowed his love to flow freely through the cracks. Every time he stumbled and fell along the way he took God's hand, rose up, and tried again. And no matter how difficult the path he traveled got, he still walked it with a loving heart and a joyous spirit.

No matter what you have gone through in this life, no matter how many troubles you have faced and agonies you have suffered know that God can use them all for good. God can ease your heartaches with wisdom. God can heal your pain with love. God can temper your trials with joy. 

God can help you to help others as well. God can guide you to become the person you needed to be in this life and in the life to come.

"You lead me in the path of life; I experience absolute joy in your presence; you always give me sheer delight." (Ps 16:11, NET)

Joe Mazzella 
Announcement:
The ultimate in prayers, changeless throughout history, powerful in simplicity: The Lord's Prayer. Join us on Tuesdays in September for valuable lessons from this model prayer. 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 10:54 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
August 24, 2013
Clear Oil of Pressed Olives for the Light: Wilderness Instructions, Part 8
By Answers2Prayer
 Last week, in Wilderness Instructions, Part 7, we are reminded from taking a close look at the golden lampstand of our need for God's Spirit to illuminate the rest for us, so we can see the proof of God's presence, His power in our lives, His provision, and His guidance. We are reminded that we need God's Spirit to be continually illuminating scripture, opening our spiritual eyes so that we can recognize where God is already at work and join Him. And we are reminded that we desperately need to never let that Oil of Your Spirit run dry! For it if does, we will be immediately overtaken by spiritual darkness.

But where did the oil come from? Did God miraculously "supply" it? 

Today's study actually jump ahead a few verses, to the final verses of Exodus 27, where we find instruction on bringing oil for keeping the lamps burning: "Command the Israelites to bring you clear oil of pressed olives for the light so that the lamps may be kept burning." (Exodus 27:20 NIV). 

Interestingly, this is the first time in the wilderness instructions that there has been a human agent mentioned in regards to the building of the wilderness tabernacle: "Command the Israelites to bring you clear oil..." Thus, it is up to the people to furnish the oil.

Immediately after this verse is the second instruction involving a human agent: "In the Tent of Meeting, outside the curtain that is in front of the Testimony, Aaron and his sons are to keep the lamps burning before the LORD from evening till morning..." (Exodus 27:21 NIV) 

It was the responsibility of the priests to keep the lamps burning, but it was not their responsibility to supply the oil! Neither was it God's responsibility to supply the oil. This was to be done by the people! 

As we saw last week, in Wilderness Instructions, Part 7, throughout Scripture oil is often used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit. We are given some foresight into the importance of oil and of keeping lamps burning in a parable told by Jesus in Matthew 25. Ten virgins went to meet the bridegroom. Each had a lamp, and the lamp of each was burning. However the bridegroom didn't come when the ladies thought he would, and they all fell asleep. As a result, their lamps ran dry of oil, and their lights went out. 

Fortunately for 5 of the ladies, they had an extra supply of oil. They were able to restoke their lamps, and they were ready when the bridegroom actually did arrive. Not so with the other 5 ladies, known as the "foolish virgins". These girls had to go into town and try to buy some more oil. They succeeded, but this took time, and while they were out searching for their oil, the bridegroom came and went into the banquet hall with the five "wise virgins". And...Here comes the sad part of the story: "Later the others also came. 'Sir! Sir!' they said. 'Open the door for us!' But he replied, 'I tell you the truth, I don't know you.'" (Matthew 25:11-12 NIV)

We are then given perhaps one of the most important words of caution in scripture: "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour." (Matt 25:13 NIV) 

This is the important lesson for today. Though many would like to put the responsibility of keeping the light of our churches burning on our pastors, this isn't what the Bible teach us! In the Wilderness Instructions, the priests were to keep the lamps burning, yes, but it was up to the people to supply the oil! In Jesus' parable, it wasn't the teachers of the law who were responsible for keeping the lamps of the virgins burning. No, it was up to the virgins to supply their own oil! And in the same way, it is our responsibility to keep a steady supply of God's Spirit in order to feed the lamps of our churches, to feed the lamps of our heart-temples! 

How can we do this? After all, there aren't any "Holy Spirit" stores in our towns. We can't just go and "buy" more! 

No there aren't. Fortunately for us, God's Spirit is free and readily available.

So what keeps us from having a full supply?

Our own lack of diligence in taking it! 

But wait a minute. You're speaking in riddles!

Am I? Think about it. God's Spirit is free for the asking, and the only reason we don't have it, or we don't have enough of it, is that we don't ask! Isn't this what the book of James, authored by the brother of Jesus Christ, tells us? "You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask." (James 4:2 NKJV) 

Thus, the wilderness instructions regarding the obtaining of the oil to keep the lamps perpetually burning, reminds us that it is our responsibility to have enough oil to keep our spiritual lamps burning. We must have that steady supply! And God, who is not asking us to do anything difficult here, is simply waits for us to ask for more and more of His Spirit! 

Please join us next week for Wilderness Instructions, Part 9, the Altar of Burnt Incense.
In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
The early church united in prayer, and as a result, miracles upon miracles happened. Sadly, that unity experienced by the early church has been shredded in modern times by differences of opinion and doctrinal disputes. Just what does the Bible have to say about doctrine? Check out the mini-series, "True Doctrine: A Pentacost Message"! 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:03 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
August 20, 2013
Operation "Eliminate Prejudice", Part 3
By Answers2Prayer 
Friends today we come to the concluding part of the series "Operation demolish prejudice". 
"Lord, is this man born blind on account of his sins or that of his parents?" (John 9:1-2). Honestly who is blind here? The blind man or the Disciples blinded by prejudice. How often, we see fellow Christians rocked by difficult times and immediately jump to a conclusion that "they are reaping what they have sown" without seeking the Lord's counsel in this matter. At a time, the needy require our help; let the "Good Samaritan" in us take over. Let love ride the roughshod over prejudice, like we see it doing in the eventual action of our Lord when it came to curing the blindness of this man about whom his disciples had such a misplaced opinion.

Interrogation
Post conversion of Cornelius and his family members, courtesy Apostle Peter's visit to their home (Acts 10), Apostle Peter was put "in a box" (can you believe it!!!) and "missile after missile" was being fired at him by the Jerusalem Church. His Crime? He had visited a "Gentile home and fellowshipped with the uncircumcised lot" (Acts 11:1-3). Cornered, "Simple Simon" defends himself proving in the process that it was the Almighty who had authorized his visit to the home of that charitable roman centurion.

How often, driven by prejudice, we adopt a "holier than thou attitude" and condemn our fellow believers even after their actions have been validated by the good Lord. When Peter came up with his tactful defense, finally all the objections of the short-sighted (at that time) Jerusalem Church were answered and they "swallowing their prejudice" praised God. Someone said, if there is one poison, we can swallow and still be benefitted it is prejudice.

Sad isn't it? Gossip & slanderous reports -- both an offshoot of prejudice spread like wildfire whereas a salutary report of a person's good deeds does not. A lie it is said travels through half the world at a time truth is tying its shoe laces. As Christians, who are called to be "different", isn't it time to do a "health check" with respect to prejudice? Are we often susceptible to it or are we immune to this "disease" by God's "vaccination" of wisdom & care in our hearts?

And finally its action time! In keeping with our call to be not only listeners but also doers of His word, isn't it time to get merrily into the "finger-pointing act"... the one with a difference, of course...of appreciatively pointing fingers only at a person's good character & his good deeds. If love & not prejudice is reigning in our hearts, that would be natural, isn't it! 

Prayer: Father, we pray that you demolish all prejudice in our hearts. In its place, let love rule our hearts. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Suresh Manoharan
J and SM Ministries 
Announcement:
Do you find yourself far away from home?  Do you even know where home is?  Join us on Thursdays through August and September for "Homeward Bound", a mini-series by Elizabeth Price.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 18 Aug 2013, 10:24 pm

Welcome to the Nugget
August 17, 2013
You Shall Also Make a Lampstand of Pure Gold: Wilderness Instructions, Part 7
By Answers2Prayer

Last week, in Wilderness Instructions, Part 6, we learned that the table of acacia wood, with its showbread drizzled with Frankincense, serves as an important reminder to us today of God's provision, sustenance, hospitality, and His ability to guide us towards purity and renewal.

Our lesson today takes us to Exodus 25:31-36, the construction of "The Lampstand": "You shall also make a lampstand of pure gold..." (Ex. 25:31a) 

Unlike the Ark of the Covenant and the table for the showbread, the lampstand was to be made, not of wood overlaid with gold, but of pure gold. And God was quite specific about its design:

- It was to be one piece: "the lampstand shall be of hammered work. Its shaft, its branches, its bowls, its ornamental knobs, and flowers shall be of one piece." (vs. 31b NKJV);

- There were to be branches on the lampstand: "And six branches shall come out of its sides: three branches of the lampstand out of one side, and three branches of the lampstand out of the other side." (Vs. 32).

- On the top there were to be three almond blossom-shaped bowls: "Three bowls shall be made like almond blossoms on one branch, with an ornamental knob and a flower, and three bowls made like almond blossoms on the other branch, with an ornamental knob and a flower--and so for the six branches that come out of the lampstand." (Vs 33 NKJV);

• On the lampstand itself, there were to be more bowls: "On the lampstand itself four bowls shall be made like almond blossoms, each with its ornamental knob and flower." (Vs 34 NKJV)

• Besides the ornamental flowers, there were to be knobs: "And there shall be a knob under the first two branches of the same, a knob under the second two branches of the same, and a knob under the third two branches of the same, according to the six branches that extend from the lampstand." (Vs. 35)

Quite impressive, isn't it?

And what was the purpose of this elaborate lampstand? 

To hold up lamps! "You shall make seven lamps for it..." (vs. 38a NKJV)

The lamps were to be set in a special way: "and they shall arrange its lamps so that they give light in front of it." (Vs 38b NKJV. See also Numbers 8:2). 

Thus, the lampstand was practically designed to be a source of light for the rest of the tabernacle, to cast light upon the Table of the Showbread, the Altar of Incense, and the veil. 

The lamps were to be kept burning continually, and their oil was to never run out: "Command the Israelites to bring you clear oil of pressed olives for the light so that the lamps may be kept burning continually." It has also been suggested that the fact that the lamps were to be kept burning perpetually was to be a reminder of the burning bush through which God manifested Himself to Moses.** 

Through the ages this Lampstand has become known as the "Menorah", and it is considered to be a symbol of Judaism at large. Jesus used the symbols of seven Menorahs in the revelations He gave to John (See Rev. 1:12) as an indicator of the fact that the message was for the global church at large. 

These are all interesting facts, but what does it mean to us today? Why do we need to read about the lampstand of gold, and what place does it play in our heart-temples?

First of all, let's remember that throughout Scripture, oil is often used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit (See Matthew 25). This is our first lesson today. We are nothing without God's Spirit! 

Secondly, just as Israel was instructed to never let the oil run out, we, too, must always have the refreshing of God's Spirit in our lives and churches. Otherwise we can quickly be overtaken by spiritual darkness: "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!'" And like the 5 foolish maidens, that it will not be said to us, "Assuredly I say to you, I do not know you..." (See Matthew 25)

Finally, let's remember that the lampstand's practical purpose was to produce light in an otherwise dark place, and it was specifically stated that the lamps were to shed their light in front of the lampstand. Thus, the lampstand represents illumination. Isn't this one of the important ministries of the Holy Spirit, to illuminate scripture, to increase our understanding of God and His presence? Isn't it the Holy Spirit who opens our spiritual understanding? 

So the next time you read the instructions for building the lampstand, remember that this important piece of furniture serves as a reminder us of the need of God's Spirit in our temple-hearts to refresh our lives and our churches and to illuminate scripture and give us a greater understanding of God and His presence. 

Please join us next week for Wilderness Instructions Part 8: Clear Oil of Pressed Olives for the Light.

In His love,
Lyn

Announcement:
Plagued by prejudice?  Join us on Tuesdays in August to find out what the Bible has to say about prejudices, in Operation "Eliminate Prejudice", a mini-series by Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 42 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32 ... 42  Next