NUGGET Today's Devotional

Page 41 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Go down

Re: NUGGET Today's Devotional

Post  Admin on Wed 25 Aug 2010, 11:14 am

Today's Devotional:
LESSONS FROM ANIMALS, Part 7:
A Helping Hand

"If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away." (Matt 5:40-42 NKJV)

It was the perfect weather for a walk the other day. It was that beautiful time of the year right between the end of Winter and the start of Spring. Cool breezes tickled my face while the rising sun quickly burnt away the morning fog. Birds were starting to sing their love songs again and to built nests for their future young. My heavy coat had been traded for a light jacket. The grass was still moist from the freshly melted snow and the Maples and Oaks seemed to be deep in thought over whether to send out their buds now or wait a few more weeks.
I walked along the edge of the woods and gazed up at the bright, blue sky. As I was thanking God for another glorious morning, however, a sad sound reached my ears. It was a mewing that sounded like a newborn kitten. I looked around on the ground but couldn’t see one anywhere. Then I noticed that the crying seemed to be coming from above and glanced up into the trees. I soon spotted him. It was no kitten but a full grown tomcat who had let Spring fever get the best of him. He had scaled an Oak like it was nothing but was now too scared to climb back down.
I knew I couldn’t leave him up there but wondered if I would need a ladder to get to him. I decided to let my boyhood tree climbing skills guide me instead. Grasping the rough branches I slowly made my way up to the cat. Then cradling him in one arm I lowered myself down again and safely let him go. He gave me a quick thank you glance and then scurried off. I smiled as I watched him go then headed for home with scraped up hands but a warm heart.
Few things in this life make you feel better than offering a helping hand to someone in need. It connects you with God. It brings you closer to others. It helps you become who you were meant to be. The next time then that you get a chance to give someone a hand up or in the cat’s case a hand down take it. A helping hand like a loving heart always leads to a happy soul.

By: Joseph J. Mazzella
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://worldwidechristians.6forum.info

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 22 Aug 2010, 4:10 pm

Today's Devotional:
GARDENING, Part 1:
The Favour of the Lord

I was contemplating the subject of the favour of the Lord yesterday morning, meditating on the fact that the primary way to earn that favour is to be "blameless" in His site ("… the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless." Ps 84:11 NIV).
I realized as I read this verse that the only requirement for God's favour was to accept Jesus' gift of righteousness, and when we do, God sees us as "blameless". This means, then, that everyone who has accepted Jesus as their personal Lord and Saviour ALREADY has God's favour!
But if this is true, then why does it seem to so many of us that God has withheld His favour? I mean, when we look at our circumstances, at the unanswered prayers, at the fact that so many are still in hopeless situations, how can it be said that we already have God's favour?
I hadn't resolved this dilemma when I decided to spend the day gardening.
Now I know that gardening is an activity enjoyed by many, but I'm not of the same opinion. I don't like the feel of dirt on my hands, I hate weeds, especially the ones with needles and thorns, and the kind of weeds that voraciously take over any attempt I have made at a flower bed are all the kind that break off at the soil level, leaving a beautiful, healthy root still firmly embedded amongst my flowers. In addition, I burn very easily, and after being in the hot sun for just a little while, I usually end up with a massive head ache. Oh, and let's not forget the fact that I am ++++ allergic to grass, and many of nature's other finest greenery! But perhaps the reason I hate gardening as much as I do is the sense of futility. I know good and well that no matter how hard I work, those weeds will return!
But as I stood at the window looking out over our yard yesterday, I realized that the weeds weren't pulling themselves, and the 20 sacks of cedar mulch we had purchased were not doing any good sitting in the garage. It occurred to me that if I wanted the work to get done, I would have to do it myself.
And that's what I set out to do. Naturally, I got dirt under my nails, to say nothing about dirt smudges over my entire body. My arms broke out in hives from the weeds, my eyes itched and my nose ran, my muscles screamed out in pain, and I got sunburned. All of my "prophecies" came to pass.
I couldn't help thinking about the subject of God's favour through this experience. Did He withhold His favour from me by not sending me someone to do my gardening? I mean, today, in the aftermath, my eyes are still itching, my skin is still burned, and every muscle in my body is screaming out in pain from my overexertion. So just where is God's favour in all of this?
In the end however, I know that my muscles will eventually stop aching, and will be stronger as a result of my exercise. And just think of all that beautiful Vitamin D I soaked up!
And what of my garden? It has never looked so good!
So did God really withhold His favour?
No. He didn't.
The problem lies in the fact that I have my own little definition of what is God's favour! In my mind, God would bestow favour by sending someone to do my gardening for me! And when it didn't happen, I figured God had withheld His favour!
But God knows that what I really need is strong muscles and a storehouse full of Vitamin D! From His prospective, He had me do my own gardening so that I could attain what I really needed!
Could it be that when we feel that God has withheld His favour, it is simply because we are trying to define for ourselves what will make us ultimately happy? Could it be that God, in His love and wisdom, knows what we REALLY need to be happy, and allows us to go through hard times to develop that?
Can we trust God enough to know that whatever it is we're going through, in the end, we will be stronger for it? Can we trust Him enough to know that while we're going through those valleys, God is always there, holding us up, crying with us, supporting us, giving us strength?
I think I'll look at gardening with a little different light next time.
But wait a minute: God didn't want all those weeds to be there in the first place (See Gen 3:17-19). And what about my sunburn? In the end, it puts me at risk for developing skin cancer! Surely these things couldn't have been part of God's favour! Please join us next Saturday, for GARDENING, Part 2: ????
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, and the Scriptural Nuggets website, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer ministries, www.answers2prayer.org.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 20 Aug 2010, 10:01 am

Today's Devotional:
99.9% EFFICIENCY?
I remember attending a training course during my tenure in a secular firm, some years ago, where the trainer stressed the need for 100% efficiency.
In spheres of activity such as banking, maternity hospitals, he emphasized that nothing less than 100% would do. How true! Considering the countless entries in Bank records everyday, one can well imagine the ‘confusion’ in banks if they are only 99.9% efficient in posting all ledger entries properly. How many wrong entries would there be, leading to acute customer dissatisfaction! For that matter if there is only 99.9% perfection in maternity hospitals on handing the right babies to the right parents, how many parents would end up with children, who are not actually theirs! Then our faculty came to the subject of air-travel safety and said "What if there is only 99.9% efficiency in such a critical matter involving safety of human lives".He not even complete the sentence that we ALL-the trainees who had flown to the training centre that very morning- now shifting uneasily in our seats nodded approvingly.
That set me, thinking ‘How many times we are less than 100% obedient to our Heavenly Father? If the secular service providers are not satisfied with any thing less than 100% efficiency, then why we should be content with less than 100% obedience to our Creator and Redeemer, whilst living for Him?
Scriptures using some examples warn us about some compromising Christians whose faith “had crashed” when they had wilfully “lowered their efficiency”… (I Timothy 1:19-20)!
On the subject of 100% obedience, let Apostle Paul’s motto be ours…
“So our aim is to please Him always in everything we do, whether we are here in this body or away from this body and with Him in heaven” (II Corinthians 5:9 TLB).
By the way, “How’s your spiritual efficiency today”?

Prayer: Father, I confess that many a time, I have been less than 100% obedient to you. Help me always to give the best, nothing less than the very best to you…when it comes to obedience. In Jesus’ Name. Amen

Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 15 Aug 2010, 12:27 pm

Today's Devotional:
GOD'S BLESSINGS
So what about God's blessings? Who is to receive them? Do we have to earn them? Do they bring happiness?
Our story begins in the 120th year of the life of Moses. The children of Israel are about to cross the Jordan River and enter Canaan, Joshua is about to take over as leader of the nation, and Moses is living his last days on this Earth. But God has a few last things to say to the people through His faithful servant, and this is what He says:
"And the Lord said to Moses: '… these people will soon prostitute themselves to the foreign gods of the land they are entering. They will forsake me and break the covenant I made with them …'" (Deut 31:16 NIV)
Isn't it sad that one of the last things God says to Israel through Moses is a proclamation that they will turn away from Him? But what comes immediately after this proclamation of failure is that I find the most interesting. The very next chapter of Deuteronomy records all of the blessings that are to be bestowed upon Israel, tribe by tribe!
And these aren't little blessings, either! Of Joseph He promises unusually fertile and productive parts of Canaan, of Zebulun He promises feasts on the abundance of the seas and of the treasures hidden in the sand, and interestingly, Asher was told he would "bathe his feet in oil" (Deut. 33:24)! Today Syria sits in the ancient land of Asher, and Syria is known to be the only substantial oil producer in the Eastern Mediterranean region! [1]
The idea of blessings being poured out upon those who turn away from the Lord isn't confined to the Bible, either. We've all seen the unsaved people of the world reaching wealth and prosperity, and Jesus personally tells us: "[God] causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." (Matt 5:45-46 NIV).
Just like God blessed Israel, despite the fact that He knew they would fall, He continues to pour out blessings upon everyone in the world today!
I take great comfort in this fact.
Why?
Because God is a God of love! He does not withhold all good things from someone just because they have not accepted His gift of forgiveness and Salvation! He sees the depths of our hearts, and He loves and blesses us the same!
But does this blessing always bring us happiness?
It didn't bring happiness to Israel (see the book of Judges!), and it doesn't bring happiness to us today, either. We so often hear of famous, rich people turning to drugs, alcohol, sex, and often even suicide, and everyone is amazed that someone who had so much can be so unhappy.
The problem is, the blessings, themselves, are not the source of happiness! The source of happiness is the "Blessing Giver"! It's when we fail to acknowledge the source of our blessings that they leave us empty!
This is why dirt poor Christians feel so rich. This is how someone who has a personal relationship with Christ can go through the worst trials and still wear a smile! This is how a Christian on his deathbed can rest easy! Because the road to the only things that can bring true happiness and peace of mind is only open to those who know and trust the "Blessing Giver"!
Friends, are your blessings leaving you empty? Maybe it's because you don't yet know the "Blessing Giver" personally. Maybe it's because you haven't yet learned to trust Him! Perhaps you haven't yet experienced the insatiable, unchanging love He has for you! If you haven't, but you would like to, I would like to help. Email me at helpmelealrnaboutjesus@gmail.com !
In His love,
Lyn

Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems, www.scripturalnuggets.org, with Answers2Prayer Ministries, www.Answers2Prayer.org.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 13 Aug 2010, 9:17 am

Today's Devotional:
THE SINGING FOG
Being in the garden on a foggy morning is the nearest thing a singer who cannot sing can come to singing; or a composer who cannot compose can come to composing.
Fog is as lavish with softness, with intensity and with intimacy as a song is lavish with sound, or music is lavish with melody.
It is as though God took you to an exclusive restaurant. He has ordered the menu, he is cook and waiter and host. He is at your table, the wine glistens on leaf and twig and blade and spider's web. It glistens on your hair and sparkles on your woollen coat. Your rubber boots shine black and your green gloves drip diamonds.
God has dressed you from his own boutique. Fog is your halo, drawing from earth and sky and vaporised sunshine everything you need to nourish the peace.
The conversation of God is the calm and the stillness of the grass; his orchestra the hush of birdsong, the song of silence pausing before the encore.
You become the fog because God has come down and written you in. Now you are composer and singer and God waits to be entertained by you.
Make yourself ready, your introduction has been played.
He is the audience who applauds when you whisper, 'Father, allow me to see you in whatever form you come to me. Give to me the song of your unfailing presence.'
And he signs the program and hands it to you on centre stage saying 'I have parted the heavens and come down; I have touched the mountains and they have poured forth smoke.'
You turn it over to read what he has written:
'May my teaching fall like raindrops, my words distil like dew, like fine rain on tender grass' Deuteronomy 32:2. (REB)
Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 1:16 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
ANGELO AND THE MASTER OF ANGELS
Angelo Dundee is an American boxing corner man. For the uninitiated, a corner man in boxing is one, who gives vital inputs to his ward before and most importantly during the fight. Needless to say, those strategic inputs based on keen observation of the opponent would often separate the victor from the vanquished. Dundee has had unparalleled success training and working in the corners of legendary boxers like Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard and George Foreman,. These champions have affirmed that his very presence in their corner pepped them up.
Square up to this truth, pal! Christian life is one big fight. Worse…it is a fight with unseen formidable foes (Eph 6:12)! Imagine being pitted with a blindfold against a Tyson! But cheer up, even as we strive to take the Gospel to all the corners of the World and in the process have to fight “big bad dude”-Satan-we have someone far better equipped than Angelo the very the Master of Angels …Christ in our corner Listen to the most successful evangelist of all times…Apostle Paul
But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, (to be trained by Him personally)…for three years -Gal 1:17-18
Apostle Paul again after his training in Arabia and several successful conquests for the Lord…
"For I can do everything ..." (including knocking out the Devil) "...through Christ, who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13)
"The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet…" (Romans 16:20)
Do not want to be cornered by the “ole enemy”? Then fight with Angelo..opps sorry… I mean Master of Angels (Heb 1:4-6/Rev 22:9) in your corner!
Prayer: Father, we with our own power or wisdom are no match to the strength or the wiles of our Enemy. Be with us, so that we can be victorious in our spiritual fight with Thy empowering spirit alone. In Jesus Name. Amen.
Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 25 Jul 2010, 10:31 am

COMING OUT OF COMFORT ZONE
“Female of this species is a lot deadlier than the male.”

No, no , I am not referring to Black widow the venomous female spider inhabiting the Western part of the US, whose deadly sting can send one to an early grave. Rather, I was reminded of this phrase after going through the recent media reports on a female suicide bomber (terror attacks involving women suicide bombers seems to be on the increase) in Iraq, killing about 54 people on the first day of Feb, 2010.

It is indeed quite tragic that enduring bomb blasts have become a way of life in Iraq since the US invasion of 2003. If media reports are to be believed, about 6.5 lakhs innocent civilians have perished since the US forces took over this historic country as a part of its “war against terror”. The purpose of this essay is not to justify or criticize the action of a country in its war against terror, but to focus a bit on human psychology and the challenges it brings to the spiritual realm.
Even as the terrorists are striking with impunity in a country noted for its ancient civilization, have we ever wondered why people are not deserting that country? With life being so insecure, wouldn’t it be pragmatic of Iraqi civilians to leave that strife-torn country and go and settle elsewhere, where there would be greater security to life and limb? But people would never, never easily come out of what the psychologists refer to as one’s “comfort zone”, despite eerie shadow of death hanging all around.

Why?

The reason is… going and settling in a new place would involve so much stress and strain, mostly mental. It involves getting used to new neighborhoods, seeking and plying a trade in an oh-so-unfamiliar market, finding new schools for children… the list can go on.
Many, many centuries ago (around 1800 BC to be more precise), one man did leave IRAQ. Yes, Iraq. Mesopotamia as it was called then. And he left at Divine instance (Acts 7:2-3). There were no bomb blasts forcing him to flee his home; rather he moved out of Iraq at a time when life was running as smoothly as a well-grooved assembly line. Welcome once again to Father Abraham…welcome once again to that great hero of faith, whose acts of complete trust in His provider, God (Genesis 22:14), has inspired and STILL continues to inspire countless across centuries.

The Almighty’s instruction to him was clear as daylight: “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you. I will make you into a great nation..." (Genesis 12:1-3). Exhibiting implicit, child-like trust, away went this faithful soul to a land the good Lord had reserved for him knowing NOTHING. Neither about the new land, or about what was in store for him there (Heb 11:8). Oh, I wish that the good Lord had shown a video-recording (read vision) of the blessings that lay in front of him! Time to remind ourselves about a catchy, insightful one-liner: “More than knowing what the future holds in store for us, it is important to know the PERSON, who holds the future”.

Yes, future to Abraham may have resembled the road on a dark frosty night, where nothing is clear even as he responded to the Divine call to leave his home. Fast forward to Genesis 23:5-6…and we see the fruits of his obedience…how the unchanging (Heb 13:8), faithful Lord provided for him in his new environs, so much so his neighbors marveling at his abundant blessings address him as an “honored prince”! Truth be told, in eternity more than his earthly blessings what Father Abraham would really treasure, would be his “growth in God-dependence” which his act of coming “out of comfort zone” brought about!
Friends, we tend to shower encomiums on this great patriarch in the context of his sacrificial act of being willing to lay even his beloved son on the altar (Genesis 22) in that exacting testing time of faith. Nothing wrong about it (we pour accolades)! But do we give enough credit to this Father of faith for his initial “leap of faith”? For his exemplary act of coming out of his comfort zone? Remember, that is where his relationship with the good Lord got cemented, and the way was paved for later being called righteous (for exhibiting implicit trust -Romans 4:3-on his faithful God).
Dear readers, even as you are reading this article, I do not know how the good Lord is challenging you. Aiming at your spiritual growth (oh, how He wishes, we are transformed into the image of His Son -2 Cor 3:18), the good Lord may be calling for a total drastic action of a career change or He may be calling you to make significant alterations in your cozy (?) Christian life. You may be chugging along giving only some part of your time, talent and treasures (everyone is accountable for these 3Ts’) for His Kingdom. Is it time you place a greater share of the 3TS’ in His hands? If you have heard His voice (it is subjective and varies from person to person), hard as it may be, never delay coming out of your comfort zone. Oh it is so comfortable out here …in His vineyard of willful obedience! Hallelujah!
Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 14 Jul 2010, 12:48 pm

Today's Devotional:
Did you know that there are hundreds of lessons to be learned through nature? To learn how pets have been able to teach their owners about God, join us on Tuesdays for short mini-series entitled: LESSONS FROM ANIMALS!

LESSONS FROM ANIMALS, Part 1:
Ragdoll

"For every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird in the mountains, and the creatures of the field are mine." (Psalm 50:10-11 NIV)
"He provides food for the cattle and for the young ravens when they call." (Psalm 147:9 NIV)
Though I love collecting dolls as a hobby, the ragdoll I write about in this devotional is probably not the kind of doll you are thinking of. Instead, it is a beautiful, lively kitten that acquired the name ragdoll because of its affectionate nature and floppy body. But this is also a story of answered prayer.
After the loss of my dog over a year ago, I sought the Lords guidance in whether or not to get another dog. It was quite fun and interesting to see how God responded to my prayer and called my attention to the Ragdoll. While being entertained by my senior cat watching Animal Planet, I accidentally learned about this unique breed of animals during a show, called “Cats 101.” Though I had no intention of getting another cat, the Ragdoll had all the qualities I was looking for in a pet and was the perfect answer to my prayer. Consequently, I received a sweet Ragdoll kitten as a Christmas gift from my family.
In less than a week, my ragdoll kitten is already a close member of my family! To me, his beauty and character reflect the glory and wisdom of God. As I ponder the profound meaning of today’s scripture, I am grateful to our loving God who so intimately cares for the needs of all His creatures. And we, His children have been given the privilege to be caretakers along with Him nurturing and tending to the animals He has placed in our care.
My little ragdoll is a blessing from God. Like so many times in the past, the Lord is faithful to answer my prayers no matter how big or small. If we seek His will, we can never go wrong. Isn’t it a comfort to know that all things are in His loving hands?

Prayer
Father, as we seek Your face, to You we give our heartfelt thanks. We praise You for the wonderful ways You have demonstrated Your loving care and manifest Your wisdom through all You have made. Lord, we honor You for hearing the prayers of Your people and providing what is best according to Your perfect will. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Lori Ciccanti
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 1:16 pm

ON FIRE FOR JESUS
"All I want is to sit in his shade, to taste and savor his delicious love. He took me home with him for a festive meal, but his eyes feasted on me!" (Song 2:3-4 The Message)
I recently had the opportunity to read through a personal testimony that I wrote about 8 years ago. As I read it, I was struck broadsided by how much in love with Jesus I had been back in those days.
But wait a minute. I'm still in love with Jesus! What's all the fuss about?
But I couldn't shake the feeling. It's true that I have not strayed from my Lord and Savior, but somehow, as I read that personal testimony, I could feel God calling me back to a former state of the love-relationship we once shared.
"Lord," I cried, "Where have I gone wrong? I still love You! You're my best friend, my confident, my support, my source of comfort, my high tower in times of trouble. I'm still involved in church and ministry, I still have my regular personal devotions. I still go to church. I still have worship with my children. So how come I don't feel as 'in love' as I did back then?"
The words of Revelation 3:16 suddenly flashed across my mind: "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." (Rev 3:15-17 NIV)
I fell down on my knees, and as bitter tears of repentance ran down my cheeks, God unfolded it all in my mind. You see, in the past, God had been my focus. Studying my Bible and being in ministry had been a RESULT of my love for Him, an EXTENSION of our relationship! But somewhere along the line, things became reversed. These things BECAME my focus!
You see friends, when I go to church to find God, I am just "playing church". When I participate in ministry, even when I have my personal devotionals and worship with the family as a routine thing, as the "way" to please God, I am just "playing Christian"! These things are not bad things, and I continue to be very blessed by them. But they have to stop being my focus! My focus needs to return to the Lover of my Soul, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! Only when I do all those "things" as a RESULT of my love for Jesus, will they truly become a blessing, both to me, and to God! Only then can I return to being "on fire" for God!
As I knelt there, repenting, a beautiful thing happened. God's voice called out to me: "I am still deeply in love with you, My child! I love you more and more every passing day!"
The tears flowed even more freely then. I might have switched my focus away from God, but He hadn't switched His focus away from me! He is still as "in-love" with me as ever, and His love for me grows deeper every day!
Oh, what a wonderful Savior!
Friends, have you, too, become lukewarm? Have you, too, been "playing church" or "playing Christian"? Please take this message seriously. Examine your hearts. Think back to how you were when you first accepted Jesus as your Savior, when you first received the gift of His precious Spirit. More than likely, like me, you will honestly be able to answer that you still love God and that you haven't slipped from His presence. But are you still on fire for Him? Or have you, in some aspect of your life, become lukewarm?
If the answer to this second all-important question is "yes", then you, like me, must shift your primary focus back to Jesus. You need to once again desire to bask in His presence, to surrounding yourself with His love. Only when a personal relationship with God becomes the central focus of your lives will the fire come back into your church attendance, will the power come back into your ministry, will the spark come back into your personal worship time!
"All I want is to sit in his shade, to taste and savor his delicious love." (Song 2:3b The Message)
And remember, whether you have grown lukewarm or not, God loves you unconditionally! His greatest desire is to be your primary focus: "He took me home with him for a festive meal, but his eyes feasted on me!" (Song 2:4 The Message)
In His love,
Lyn
Lyn Chaffart, Speech-Language Pathologist, Mother of two teens, Author and Moderator for The Nugget, a tri-weekly internet newsletter, and Scriptural Nuggets, a website devoted to Christian devotionals and inspirational poems,
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 07 Jul 2010, 11:25 am

Today's Devotional:
CLEAN AS YOU GO
“Let all bitterness and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.” (Ephesians 4:31, 32 KJV)
The last time we had a hurricane hit where I live, I was not prepared. I had the things packed that I needed to take with me if I had to evacuate to a shelter. However, I had not done the dishes and I didn’t have time to do them before I had to leave for the shelter. I came home to a dirty kitchen. Now when I cook, I clean as I go.
Even if I am only making pancakes and eggs, as soon as I crack the eggs, I put them in the garbage and as soon as I measure the pancake mix that I am going to use, I put the pancake mix away. I don’t have to be concerned anymore that I might have to evacuate again and come home to a dirty kitchen.
God has been birthing this devotion in my heart for the last week because just as I was not prepared for the hurricane that hit us so there are many times in our lives when our hearts are not prepared for the hurricanes of life that hit us. We must allow Jesus to clean our hearts on a daily basis.
When someone attacks us and says hateful and cruel words to us, we need to go to Jesus immediately and ask Him to please take the anger, the bitterness and the unforgiveness from our hearts. When we allow these rotten attitudes to remain in our hearts, they not only stink in His nostrils, they also render us ineffective in our service for Him.
Do you ask Jesus to take the rotten attitudes that bring shame and disgrace to Him and also hurt Him from your heart every day or have you allowed them to remain in your heart? How dare we go to a Holy God and ask Him to forgive us for hurting Him if we are not willing to forgive the ones who hurt us? May God have mercy on us.
One day every one of us will stand before Him and try to explain to Him why we didn’t forgive the ones who hurt us. A lot of people will have to hang their heads in shame because they refused to forgive the ones who hurt them. I don’t want to be one of those people, do you?

Joanne Lowe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 30 Jun 2010, 4:17 pm

Today's Devotional:
ROMANS CHAPTER 8
"For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." (Romans 8:7,8)
“The mind being set on the flesh” is a mind of an unbeliever. If one does not believe in the things of God, he is hostile or rejects the things of God and God’s laws.
Since Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden, there has been sin and strife in the world. God created a perfect world for Adam and Eve. If they had obeyed Him and controlled their sinful lusts, the world would be a perfect place. But they listened to Satan and became as we are because they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil; and we became subject to sin and death.
But God, since He loved us so much provided a way for us to become perfect; thus Jesus became our sacrifice; our way of avoiding hell. God the Father, laid all the sins of the world on the strong, able shoulders of our Lord. Psalms 53:5 He took our sins upon Himself and bore our iniquities; He suffered on a cruel cross; suffered as no man has ever suffered and then He died to save our souls from an eternity in hell.
Prayer: Thank you Lord God for providing a way of escape for us and giving us a living sacrifice, Jesus Your only Son to die for us as our propitiation. Thank You for saving us from an eternity of the fire that burns forever and ever.

Nell Berry
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 26 Jun 2010, 9:59 am

Today's Devotional:
AN ELEMENT OF FLAVOUR
As a Senior citizen, I often think back to my childhood and the way we improvised, to compensate for lack of money. I smile when I remember the things my brothers and sisters and I did for snacks, so many years ago. It was during the years of the great depression and store bought snacks were out of the question. We had to make up our own.
It was about the time when potato chips were first coming into the food chain. They were just a dream to us. Dip was unheard of so we didn't miss it either. One of our favorite snacks was rhubarb. My parents always had lots of it.
We would go to the patch, pull up a juicy looking red stalk, and enjoy a treat. It was really sour but we had a way of making it taste good. We would peal off the thin red skin and then, with a little pile of salt in the palm of our other hand, we had a delicious snack food with dip. We didn't call it dip we just called it good. We loved to eat things with salt.
A salt shaker and a nice ripe tomato, right out of the garden, was a delightful combination. We even ate salt on our water melon, apples and grapefruit among other things.
We did not know that too much salt was not good for us. "Salt or sodium chloride is defined as a soft silver-white metallic chemical element that reacts readily with other substances." We didn't care about the definition we just knew it made sour rhubarb taste good. We didn't worry about life we just enjoyed it.
Here are some neat things God did when he created salt. He put salt in the ocean and salt in the land. Then to make life interesting he left us to figure some things out. The Bonneville (30,000 acres) salt flats in Utah are a place so barren that not even the simplest forms of life can exist.
Why is it that nothing will grow on the salt flats on land but many kinds of foods grow in the salty ocean? Why doesn't the food taken from salt water taste salty? This is God's secret but here is what we do with it. We take seafood out of the salt water and season it for eating with earth salt. We even extract salt from sea water and use it to salt the fish that once lived there but are not salty. If vegetation could grow on the salt flats would it taste salty? God has a sense of humor and a reason for everything he does.
One day Jesus introduced salt to his disciples in a very special way. Many times He used simple everyday things to teach profound truth. He gave them a simple formula for effective service. They could be either successful or worthless by the way they used the salt he told them about. It was a surprisingly simple truth that would shape their lives forever.
Can you imagine their surprise when he told them that they were "the salt of the earth" (Matt 5:13). He did not say "be salt". He said you "are salt". How important was that? He was talking about Character and reliability in their way of life. He reminded them that salt that has no flavor is only good for filler for the path that people walk on. His whole meaning for them was that they should be "an element of flavor in an otherwise tasteless world".
Whether it is snack food or health food, it is important for us to eat things that are healthy for our bodies. God provided food for our bodies and also for our souls. He gave us his Word to feed on for spiritual strength. With the help of the Holy Spirit we can develop the Christian character and reliability Jesus spoke to the disciples about.
Just as salt changes the flavor of food, we can be used of God to be, "an element of flavor" that takes the bitterness out of this rhubarb world.

Christian Love,
Carolyn Young
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 24 Jun 2010, 7:20 am

Today's Devotional:
LOOKING IN THE REARVIEW MIRROR
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Heb 12:2 NIV)
When I was a young boy my family would always make a Summer trip out of state to visit my Grandma and Aunt. It was a long drive over curvy, mountainous roads. It often took up to eight hours to get there. This was before the age of i-pods and DVD players too. My Dad didn’t care much for the rock music the radio stations played in the nineteen seventies either, so the trip was a quiet one. Stuffed in the back seat of the family sedan with my two brothers, I only had one thing that I could do and that was look out the window.
A window seat was best for scenery watching, but being the youngest and the smallest I was always stuck in the middle. That left gazing over my brothers’ shoulders or looking through the rearview mirror at what we had just passed. The second option, however, could never be done for long. With mountain roads I never knew when the next curve was coming up and if what I was looking at didn’t match what my body was feeling then I was carsick in minutes.
After a few times of my stomach turning flip flops I learned my lesson and kept my eyes on the road ahead. That way I could gaze in wonder at the golden light of the sun shining down on the green leafs of the trees as we drove by them. That way I could enjoy seeing the deer peacefully eating grass along the side of the road. That way I could delight in what was coming next instead of being sick over what was already left behind.
Those long trips taught me that you can’t live your life always looking in the rearview mirror. If you want to enjoy the beautiful moments of today then you have to see them as they happen. God doesn’t want us to live in the past. He wants us to embrace the joy that each new day brings. He wants us to realize the preciousness of every second and use them all to love Him, ourselves, and others. Keep your eyes on the road ahead then and trust God to lead you Home.

Joe Mazzella is a writer and mental Health worker who lives in the mountains of West Virginia with his 3 children, 6 dogs, and 4 cats.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 19 Jun 2010, 12:24 pm

Today's Devotional:
NEVER GIVE UP
"For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God." (1 John 5:4,5)
The secret to becoming an over comer is not deep philosophical doctrine or hidden gems for only theologians to uncover. It is plain to understand that all it takes is to believe that Jesus is the Son of God. This simple and profound belief in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ places us among the ranks of those whose names echo through the hallways of heaven as ‘the ones who have overcome.’
The meaning of the word ‘overcome’ according to the Rostrum Study dictionary means to ‘fight successfully against defeat’ To prove one is an over comer, one has to be presented with a fight/battle. The success of this battle crowns us with the victory of overcoming. All sons and daughters of God are over comers. Success against defeat belongs to the kingdom of God and its citizens. A child of God who continues to call upon the name of the Lord will prevail against every weapon of warfare designed against them and triumph over it.
Keys to overcome: -
a) Fix your Gaze
Focus on the plans of God and this will grant you a vision of advancement. Joseph was an anticipator. Distractions did not cloud his vision and his will did not prevail over God’s will. His vision of advancement saw him through the disappointments, through the storms and through his valleys. He did not let go of God during difficult days. Without his vision, he would have perished. A fixed gaze will set your sights beyond the present, pass the hurdles and over the limitations. Holding onto the vision of God in your life will keep you from perishing.
B) Catch the Revelation
God does not reveal himself to everyone. Simon Peter believed and confessed it openly that Jesus is the Christ. He used his natural eyes to see the supernatural truth. Catch the revelation Peter had and the gates of hell shall not prevail against you.
C) Keep your mind made up
Kill doubt at all times. God is able and he will not go back on his word. He is not man that he would lie to you. Yes and amen to his promises for your life keeps you in agreement with the power of God. Do not fear the arm of flesh, as God’s hand is never to short that he cannot reach out and save you. The hand of God in biblical times always refers to the power and presence of God. Renew your mind daily with the mind of Christ and you will soar above all the circumstances in your life. Jesus overcame the world by conquering it for us and depriving it of its power to harm us. He went ahead and did the work. We are called to make up our minds that Jesus has conquered it all for us and victory will always be our banner. Do not be as shifting shadows but possess an immovable, unwavering, undivided mind that believes Jesus overcame and so will you.
Never give up your identity in Jesus when your role in life changes.
Never give up your confidence in Jesus when your boat is being rocked
Never give up your personal testimonies in Jesus when the reports are looking bleak
Never give up your hope in Jesus when clouds gather and storms brew.
Never give up your trust in Jesus when all seems lost.
Never give up your stand in Jesus when your foundation is being shaken.
Never give up. Every child of God is destined to win, conquer and overcome
Prayer Thought
I believe Lord Jesus that you are the Son of God. I belong to you and I know that I will not be overcome by the world but I will overcome the world in your name alone as my victory is already established successfully against defeat. Help me to never give up in the name of Jesus. Amen

by Hazel Moodley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 16 Jun 2010, 12:07 pm

Today's Devotional:
SUMMER LIGHT SHOW
"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matt 5:14-16 NIV)
It is going to feel like Christmas in July in the field behind my home for the next few weeks. My backyard buddies, the fireflies have finally returned to put on another Summer light show every evening for all of us to enjoy. It is such a delight seeing their little, golden lights blinking on and off just like the lights on a Christmas tree. It brings me such joy watching my whole backyard and the woods around it twinkle like it is Christmastime while the warm, summer breezes tickle my face. It reminds me that anytime of the year can feel like Christmas if you have love in your heart and light in your soul.
Still, there are times I feel a bit sorry for my firefly friends. They shine for only a brief time each Summer and their lights while beautiful last only a moment before fading again. In fact, I sometimes feel like a firefly myself. I try my best to shine long and bright with love, joy, and oneness with God, but it seems at times the most I can do is flicker. I am working hard, though, to leave my light on a bit longer each time and trying my best to make my moments of darkness less and less. I am asking God to help me everyday too and hope to one day shine more like a star and less like a blinker.
I hope that you are doing your best as well to shine bright and leave your light on in this life. I pray too that if you can’t keep your light on all the time then you are at least blinking as much light, love, joy, kindness, goodness, peace, happiness, helpfulness, laughter, and caring as you can. Perhaps one day all of us will shine together and with God’s help will create a summer light show that never ends. Perhaps we will not just help make everyday feel more like Christmas, but make everyday be Christmas. Perhaps one day we all will work together to help the fireflies chase the darkness away forever.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 11 Jun 2010, 9:24 am

Today's Devotional:
MIRACLE WORKERS
"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another — and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Heb 10:24-25 NIV)

This world is full of miracles from the rising of the sun at dawn, to the first flower in the Spring, to the colors of the leaves in the Fall. The miracles that touch my heart the most, though, are the tiny ones. These are the ones that go unnoticed by most people, but they are the ones that make life worth living.
One of the best of these tiny miracles is preformed by a local miracle worker everyday. Her job in this world is ringing up and bagging groceries, but her job from Heaven is bringing a little more joy to each heart she meets. I saw her hard at work just today. It had been a rainy morning with cold air and gray skies. Everyone who walked into the grocery store had a shiver in their walk and a frown on their face. I was no exception to this either. It had been a long, hard Winter and I felt tired as I bought extra bread and bananas to get me through the next coming storm. As I got to the check out line, however, the miracle worker went to work. She greeted me with a warmth that went straight to my heart. Her kind smile caused one to appear on my own face as well. Her shining, compassionate eyes reminded me once again that this is God’s world and that it is full of loving souls like her. We chatted briefly as I paid for my food. As I left she told me to enjoy the day and I promised that I would. As I was walking out the store she was already uplifting the spirit of the next person in line. It occurred to me too that in all the years I had shopped there I had never once seen someone leave her counter without a smile on their face.
I thank God for that miracle worker and all the miracle workers of this world. The truth is we all can become miracle workers if we choose. We all can lend our strength, talents, hearts, and souls to making this world a better place. We all can bring a little Heaven down to Earth with our joy, laughter, and smiles. And we all can share the miracle of God’s love every single day.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 09 Jun 2010, 11:26 am

NUGGET
Today's Devotional:
IS YOUR FACE THERE IN GOD'S FACEBOOK?
Linked in…Tweeter…Facebook…Orkut… now these are the names of social networking portals which figure high in the lingo of the modern day iPod generation youth. Is not social networking the order of the day? Very much!
Has it ever occurred to you that if you are “linked-in” with the Creator, you are creating endless possibilities for yourself? The Bible has enough examples to authenticate the fact that the good Lord has networks in places deemed impossible for man to establish a network therein. Acknowledging that this physical world can be divided into three realms…the sea, the sky and the sod (land) let us look at some Biblical examples of stunning networks at work in each of these realms.
The Sea
A disobedient prophet has been cast into a raging sea. His swimming skills cannot help him at a time, he is being tossed about like a leaf in the wind, and even if the waves calm down, being miles away from the seashore, he cannot hope to make it all the way to the land by swimming alone. What does he do? He cries out in desperation to the good Lord and lo and behold at the Lord’s command, a whale emerges from the deep and swallows the drowning prophet saving him from death. Welcome to the Jonah story…welcome once again to that incredible story of an incredible God at work…even using a whale in His scheme of things. It doesn’t stop there. The great fish resisting all the temptation to “digest” the prophet, gives him a free “submarine” ride all the way to the shore (Jonah 1,2, 3:1-3). Were Jonah and the great whale by any chance friends before, courtesy any social networking portal? You see, if you are networked with the good Lord, you would have a network working for you even in the depths of a deep blue sea!
The Sky
A Prophet had announced a curse of famine upon an idolatrous land and had gone hiding. Hunger stalked the land but this Prophet lodging beside a cool brook was not going to be deprived. Ravens (hey, ravens are very greedy birds by nature so much so, they do not even share food with their own kind) now supernaturally transformed, brought the daily rations to the Prophet on dot. Boy, were they not carrying meat and bread in their beak, not far from their salivating taste buds? These birds under Heavenly orders were not going to be tempted while being in the midst of their Divine mission. Though starvation gripped the land, Prophet Elijah thanks to his network with the feathery friends of the sky never experienced any hunger pangs till the good Lord established yet another “network” for him (I Kings 17:1-9). An unknown “foreign” widow would now provide for him!
The Sod
We have heard of a saying that every cat is a tiger in its own alley, meaning it derives extra strength cum courage from its familiar domain. But ever heard of “big cats” becoming as harmless as domestic cats “in their own alley” (read den)? Welcome to the Daniel in Lion’s den account once again. There they were…ferocious hungry lions but sitting as tame cats beside Daniel in their den (Daniel 6:1-21) one evening, when this innocent Prophet was thrown in amongst them. Now who forged “friendship” between these two unlikely co-habitants of the den? No prizes for guessing! Oh yes, then what about those who conspired against Daniel and intended that he become the “dinner” (he was thrown amongst the lions in the evening time), well… they unwittingly became “the breakfast” for these starving carnivores the next morning (Daniel 6:24)! Reason? They had dared to mess-up with a guy who was a part of the Divine network!
So far the examples were revolving around the animal world right? Now let me introduce to you an unlikely ophthalmologist treating a blind (blinded by an oh –so-bright vision) persecutor turned apostle. Now “Doctor” Ananias (a devout Christian residing in Damascus) and blind Saul -before his baptism-did not know each other but the good Lord established the requisite network which resulted in miraculous restoration of eyesight of the latter (Acts 9:1-21).
Dear friends, Jesus is same yesterday, today & forever (Hebrews 13:8). Oh how many personal experiences I have had and oh how many true accounts I have heard from God’s servants of the Almighty establishing "networks" to help them in their time of need. By the way, is your face there in God’s “Facebook”? If so, say “HALLELUJAH”, otherwise get “linked-in” (Romans 10:8-10) to the Redeemer without any further delay!
Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 04 Jun 2010, 11:01 am

NUGGET
Today's Devotional:
GOOD TIMING
They were at a star graze and you can be forgiven for asking “A what?” The name suggests a heavenly feeding frenzy of stars but let me try to explain.
We see the moon as a smooth, round sixpence but if you look through a telescope you see mountain peaks sticking up past the edges. A star graze occurs when the moon passes in front of a bright star and the star disappears and reappears from behind the peaks. The idea was to perfectly time each appearance and disappearance to help give an exact profile of the moon.
Some thirty observers with telescopes spread out over several kilometres to watch the star, Spica, graze the mountains of the moon. They had short wave radios to pick up precise time signals and they spoke what they saw into tape recorders so that their observations were accurately timed by the time pips in the background.
The weather was dismal. At the pivotal moment there was nothing but cloud and God did not come into the equation except for one man. He thought, ‘I believe in God so I’ll ask Him to help,’ and he made a silent prayer.
Just as Spica was about to begin its graze, the sky broke and stayed clear for the few minutes needed for the observations. Then the sky closed over again.
At the end of the exercise only about ten had seen the graze. They played their recorders back for everyone to hear all that had taken place. There was some amusement and jesting as the recordings finished and a lone voice came through the speakers, “Thank you, Father.”
And out through the distant stars I think I heard the lonely echo, ‘But where are the other nine?’ Luke 17:17.
Let’s thank Him for our today.
‘Thank you, Father.’
Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 9:48 am

Today's Devotional:
THE BLANK
"Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; 10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine." (Prov 3:9-10 NIV)
There are many phrases associated with the word “blank”, such a drawing a blank, fill in the blank, or giving someone a blank stare. The other day I even managed to e-mail a blank!!
I had cut out an article to send to a friend. I addressed the mail, filled in the topic space and proceeded to press the send button. In my scurry to get it sent in a hurry, I completely forgot to paste my article in the blank space provided, therefore sending “a blank”.
I wondered if sometimes I live a blank- sending empty messages to loved ones and friends. Does my life reflect my love for God, and my certainty of His love for me? Do I allow the Holy Spirit to use me where I am needed in the body of Christ, and do I always remember to give the glory to Him? Do I share my praises with others, or just keep them to myself? When you draw a blank - nothing happens. Could the same can be true with a spiritual blank? You can just be… “ blah!” … with nothing happening .
When we receive from God, we are called to share - whether it is serving others, praying for them, singing in the choir, helping the poor and homeless or just even sharing our joy and thanks for the gifts of love, good health, friendships, and experiences with our living Lord.
Lord, I want my life to reflect your love in a special manner. I pray I will not exhibit a spiritual “blank”, but will truly allow myself to be an open vessel for you - ready to be poured out and spilled to overflowing with the love you have planted in my heart.
How about you? What is your life in Christ exhibiting?

Marion Smith
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 28 May 2010, 4:30 pm

Today's Devotional:
OF JUSTIFY AND TESTIFY
Dear Friends,
Permit me to make you play the game “spot the differences”. Can you find differences in the seemingly identical 2 paragraphs below?
I am Suresh Manoharan a sinner saved by the Almighty’s grace and living by His grace for the last 27 years. Even though I never cared for Him in the first 16 years of my life, at the right time He saved me from the clutches of sin. By my faith on His beloved Son –Jesus- He justified me. From then on began my Christian walk.
I am Suresh Manoharan a sinner saved by the Almighty’s grace and living by His grace for the last 27 years. Even though I never cared for Him in the first 16 years of my life,
at the right time He saved me from the clutches of sin. By my faith on His beloved Son–
Jesus- He justified me. From then on began my Christian walk.
For the answer, you only have to observe the uniformity of spacing in the second paragraph and . So what then made the difference to create such a difference? I had typed the second paragraph, too, just as I did the first but this time around…Then I blocked the said paragraph and applied the JUSTIFY command and lo and behold THE IMPERFECT FIRST PARARAPH TRANSFORMED ITSELF INTO A PERFECT ONE!
Dear readers, your life too, ruined by wrong choices may be imperfect and not in alignment with His will. Be encouraged, like my life 27 years ago, yours too can be JUSTIFIED through faith in Christ Jesus. Yes, in a blinking of an eye your priorities can be brought in alignment with His priorities. If a computer can “justify” an imperfect sentence and transform it into a perfect one, cannot the Almighty God do the same, when you place your trust in His redemption plan revolving around Christ Jesus? Trust me, you would experience the heavenly joy welling up and flowing from the bottom of your heart...all in the matter of seconds. Difficult to describe in words one has to personally undergo this ethereal experience!
“Therefore, since we have been JUSTIFIED through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,” – Romans 5:1
"But what does it say? 'The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,' that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,
and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are JUSTIFIED, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved" (Romans 10:8-10)
After you go through this “JUSTIFY” experience, you would only be too eager to “TESTIFY” about the same with one and all, in order they too have the same Blessed transforming experience. Meanwhile, shall we “MAGNIFY” HIM?

HALLELUJAH!
Yours, too eager to CLARIFY any doubts about the JUSTIFY experience,
Suresh Manoharan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 21 May 2010, 8:46 pm

Today's Devotional:
CRIMINAL GOES FREE
The death penalty operated for certain crimes under the law of Moses. No reprieves, no mitigating circumstances, no getting off because of a past good record. You break, you pay, and saying sorry did not.
God has not changed. God never changes, "with him there is no variation, no play of passing shadows,’ James 1:17
So all my best does not get me off for good behaviour. On the scale of eternity, I am still under the penalty of death.
Unless the lawgiver himself acquits, his law must stand. And Luke says he acquits. He has not changed the criteria, he simply sent someone else to take my place under the death penalty. The death penalty still operated, but not on me.
And I can’t believe it even though I am told it is true. I just can’t believe it, it is too good to be true.
The only thing it requires to move it into operation is that I come face to face with the reality of God, and the reality of God is that he appointed a substitute for me.
If I will just feebly grasp that Jesus was for real and that he justifies the ungodly, I have it all: Perfect forgiveness, perfect peace.
It is that easy.
I have the same criminal record as a lot of other people I meet. I am weak, pathetic, unlovely, not at all like God, and most of my heart, mind, soul and strength is directed everywhere but at God. Nobody would ever recommend me for pardon but there it is, I am acquitted of everything for which there was no acquittal under divine law.
‘There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,’ Romans 8:1
‘It is through him that everyone who has faith is acquitted of everything for which there was no acquittal under the law of Moses.’ Acts 13:39.
In acquitting me, God does not break his own law, he puts all the guilt and punishment on the substitute, and he whispers to me in the depths of my despair, "You’re free.”
Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 14 May 2010, 10:12 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD WAS THERE!
“For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.” Psalm 91:10-12
I remember a picture that made a lasting impression on me when I was a child - a picture of a little girl walking near the edge of a deep canyon and the guarding angel walking between the child and certain death.
Sometimes I wonder how often my angel keeps me from danger through out my day as I go about my activities. When my car overheats and keeps me from going wherever I had planned – is that my angel keeping me from harm? When the weather prevents me from going out – Is that a God thing? I wonder - is it just an annoyance or is God protecting me from harm?
Recently, I had definite proof that God sends his angels to keep his children from harm. There is a crawl space under my little townhouse, which is accessible through a heavy steel door, which also serves as the floor for my entryway closet. This space is about 5’ high and is large and roomy enough to use as an extra sleeping space so when I had company over Christmas the door was left open so those sleeping downstairs could come and go. Well, my company left but the door didn’t get closed. It is too heavy for me to manage and besides it was behind a closed closet door so not to worry --- until one day when I was tidying up my house and wanted to put something on the shelf in that closet. I have to use a walker to motivate so I parked my walker and my foot just inside the closet and reached to the shelf. I wasn’t quite close enough so I pulled back to reposition myself closer to the shelf. In the process I thought I heard something drop so I looked to see what it was and that was when I noticed this gaping hole only an inch from my foot and walker legs. Another shuffle and I would have been down that hole – no doubt ending life, as I now know it. Whew! I KNOW my guarding angel was there on that inch between me and sudden destruction. Praise God! Each day I ask God to send his angels to protect me and I know that he does that each day but THAT time? – I KNOW I was definitely saved from harm.
"The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them." Psalm 34:6-8
Wynona Gordon
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 14 May 2010, 10:09 pm

UPPER ROOM
Prayer Champion

Suggested Bible Reading
In you, O LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me and save me. Be to me a rock of refuge, a strong fortress, to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the unjust and cruel. For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth. Upon you I have leaned from my birth; it was you who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of you. I have been like a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge. My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all day long. Do not cast me off in the time of old age; do not forsake me when my strength is spent. For my enemies speak concerning me, and those who watch for my life consult together. They say, "Pursue and seize that person whom God has forsaken, for there is no one to deliver." O God, do not be far from me; O my God, make haste to help me! Let my accusers be put to shame and consumed; let those who seek to hurt me be covered with scorn and disgrace. But I will hope continually, and will praise you yet more and more.
-Psalm 71:1-14 (NRSV)

Today's Scripture
O God, do not be far from me; O my God, make haste to help me!-Psalm 71:12(NRSV)

MY grandmother was a champion at praying. She could pray for 20 minutes without taking a breath, and she seasoned her prayers liberally with unfamiliar-sounding words from the King James Bible. Her prayers were intimidating in scope, scale, and content. However, when she suffered a series of strokes, her prayers became simple and direct. I held her hand in the hospital as she whispered, simply, "O God, help me; O Jesus, comfort me."

Like my grandmother, the psalmists model both eloquent praying and how to cut through fancy language to the heart of the matter. In the midst of lofty verses in the psalms, we often find the song of the heart: "Save me," "Rescue me," "Hear me," "Do not forsake me." God is the source of salvation, protection, comfort, and victory in times of great need.

Psalm 71 shows us how Jesus might have prayed in his last week, knowing the great trials he would endure and finding solace and comfort in God's great power and grace. Jesus needed to feel God's presence and guiding hand that week in Jerusalem. (See Luke 19-23.) And when we struggle in uncertainty or pain, we can remember that for us as for Jesus, God is still "a rock of refuge, a strong fortress."
Dan R. Dick (Wisconsin, USA)
Prayer
O Lord, be our refuge when the pressures and demands of life grow too great. Receive us, rescue us, and restore we, that we may share your praise and good news. Amen.
Thought for the Day

We are welcomed to say to God whatever is in our heart.

Prayer Focus
Those who taught me to pray

Related Reading
Teach Me to Pray
Published for over 40 years, TEACH ME TO PRAY is a modern day spiritual classic that offers all the essentials needed to build a strong and intimate relationship with God through prayer. Now with a new cover and updated language, W. E. Sangster's little book helps Christians develop a practice of prayer, form a prayer group, and learn how to live in Christ. Learn more about or purchase this book.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 09 May 2010, 9:50 am

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GARDEN TRUST
We sat on the verandah for morning tea and my husband reminisced on his ramblings through our garden. He said he often comes across interesting natural phenomena.

Especially so in springtime, he said. It may be a swarm of bees resting after leaving a hive, or a corkscrew grass seed springing to action. Rains stand the seeds on their sharp end and with a corkscrew action, they twist themselves into the ground.
He said, ‘These ramblings remind me of a job I was working on many years ago, repairing a residence. In a peach tree there was a Wagtail’s nest. The young had already hatched and in time they filled the nest and their heads were over the side, keeping an eye on us.
Because I brought our building materials past them each day, the birds accepted me as part of their environment.
I stopped one morning for a closer look. I was at arm’s length and the mother bird sat on the nest to cover her young.
At that time of the year the flies were abundant and I could catch them easily. I caught one and offered it to the sitting bird.
As I moved my hand in closer, she stretched out to take it and she followed by taking another and another.
Daily, the mother bird trusted me not to harm her or her family.
Isn’t that what we do daily? We eat good food, breathe fresh air and drink clean water, always trusting God and feeling good in His presence. And we thank Him for supplying our needs.
Our trust in God overcomes our fear of Him just as the little bird’s trust overcame her fear of me.
“In the morning let me know of your love, for I put my trust in you.” Psalm 143:8
Elizabeth Price
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri 30 Apr 2010, 4:40 pm

Welcome to the Nugget

Today's Devotional:
GOD’S SWEETENER
“Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.” (Proverbs 16:24 KJV)

I love strawberries. Once I bought some and put them in the refrigerator to get cold. The next morning when I started to eat them, they didn’t taste right. I had forgotten to put sugar on them to sweeten them and they didn’t taste very good. It reminded me of the condition of our hearts before Jesus sweetens them.
Until Jesus, who is God’s sweetener, removes the bitterness, the resentment, the unforgiveness and the criticism from our hearts, we hurt our families, our friends and all those around us. These rotten attitudes stink in the nostrils of Jesus. Only Jesus can remove these rotten attitudes and sweeten our hearts so that people will know that we are Christians.
Peter Scholtes wrote a beautiful song “They’ll Know We Are Christians by Our Love”. Do people know that we are Christians by the things we say and do? Are we making Jesus happy or are we hurting Him and making Him sad by the things we say and do? Remember, when we hurt people we are also hurting Jesus. It’s time that we stop hurting our precious Saviour!
What about your family? Does your family know that you are a Christian by the kind words you say to them and the kind things you do for them? Are you constantly finding fault with things they do or do you look for ways to encourage them? Have you allowed Jesus to sweeten your heart so that your family, your friends and everyone you meet know that you are a Christian? What condition is your heart in today? Is it filled with bitterness or is it filled with the sweetness of the love of Jesus?
Joanne Lowe
June 18, 2009
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 41 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next